Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question - extension/renovation cottage

Options
  • 19-02-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have house insurance on my house for the past 4 years, now I have to leave it while building work is proceeding. i have rang the insurance company as to what to do and they said i will need to inform them of the date I will be vacating the property and they will cover it for public liability only and fire. the cottage will be renovated. new wiring, new plumbing, new roof, windows and doors. there is an existing flat roof extension 30sqm at rear which has to be knocked down and replaced with a new 50sqm extension and roof.

However my project manager said i need to get self build insurance. ? this will cost me €1200 approx.

I am getting mixed advice..

I think self build is for a green field site only and is my project manager just being extra cautious..

appreciate any advice, previous experience on simliar projects.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

CEOLGRA wrote: »
    I have house insurance on my house for the past 4 years, now I have to leave it while building work is proceeding. i have rang the insurance company as to what to do and they said i will need to inform them of the date I will be vacating the property and they will cover it for public liability only and fire. the cottage will be renovated. new wiring, new plumbing, new roof, windows and doors. there is an existing flat roof extension 30sqm at rear which has to be knocked down and replaced with a new 50sqm extension and roof.

However my project manager said i need to get self build insurance. ? this will cost me €1200 approx.

I am getting mixed advice..

I think self build is for a green field site only and is my project manager just being extra cautious..

appreciate any advice, previous experience on simliar projects.
    Ask for policy cover on writing, especially what happens in the case of new material/ equip stolen during extension works?

Advertisement