Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus Points Maths Question

• 19-02-2013 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭

Thinking of reapplying(late...) to CAO.
    Just wondering does anybody know if i will get the 25 bonus points for honours maths if i reapply. Is there any link to this if it is true as ive asked several people including a teacher or two and a career guidance teacher and none knew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Would you be reapplying and using a grade from before the bonus points were a thing? That's a tricky question. You'd think they'd add the bonus points on, but you'd probably have to contact the CAO directly to clarify exactly how that would work. Would be no harm to shoot them an email here and from experience they usually reply fairly quickly. :)

If, however, you mean that you're going to resit the maths exam then I'd see no reason why you wouldn't get the bonus points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Would you be reapplying and using a grade from before the bonus points were a thing? That's a tricky question. You'd think they'd add the bonus points on, but you'd probably have to contact the CAO directly to clarify exactly how that would work. Would be no harm to shoot them an email here and from experience they usually reply fairly quickly. :)

If, however, you mean that you're going to resit the maths exam then I'd see no reason why you wouldn't get the bonus points.
    I would be reapplying and using a grade before bonus points were awarded.
    thanks for the link to the email. sent one away just there

recieved a reply earlier on. i do get the bonus points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

That's absolute bs... Why should you?

How is it bs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

If you were in his position and passed Math before the bonus points were introduced, and just found out you've got yourself an extra 25 points.. would you really call it 'bs'?

Plus, you aren't even doing Math at HL in the first place... I don't see why you're so bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The bonus points are an incentive to stick with it while project maths is being introduced. They are for students who have to deal with an uncertain, changing course and an unknown exam paper layout. In my opinion you should not get them.

Methememb wrote: »
    The bonus points are an incentive to stick with it while project maths is being introduced. They are for students who have to deal with an uncertain, changing course and an unknown exam paper layout. In my opinion you should not get them.

Unknown exam paper layout.. since when!? We were always aware of the layout, and the exam papers (EDCO, anyway) are full of sample 'Project Maths' papers for us.

Project Maths was introduced because of the low levels of students sitting Math at Higher Level, and I've heard time and time again that HL Project Maths is basically Math that has been 'dumbed' down.. we get marks now for actually writing sentences and stating the difference between an Axiom and a Theorem - which doesn't require us to even problem solve.

The pass rate at HL since Project Maths has been introduced has definitely risen, and you can't just say 'Oh, because people will try harder because of the bonus points.' The paper has changed - it has been made easier, and various sources can confirm this.

I don't think it would be fair to say that a person who sat HL Maths and not HL Project Maths is undeserving of the bonus points, especially since that person has sat a more difficult paper, simply put.

- We are no longer given any options on the paper
    - Marking scheme is ambiguous
    - Teachers are new to the course, not as confident.
    - Pass rates have risen because the results are manipulated to make the D.o.E look good.

It's unfair to give him the 25 points when the 60,000 others who did it his year didn't get them.

Methememb wrote: »
    - We are no longer given any options on the paper
    - Marking scheme is ambiguous
    - Teachers are new to the course, not as confident.
    - Pass rates have risen because the results are manipulated to make the D.o.E look good.

It's unfair to give him the 25 points when the 60,000 others who did it his year didn't get them.
    But only a fairly small number of the 60'000 who did their leaving the same year as me will be applying this year.
    It is not unfair for me to get the points. It would be unfair for me to not get the points considering all others who have honours maths will be getting the bonus points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I agree that 25 extra points is a bit unfair cause its like giving extra points to the smart people but I also admit that I am probably only sticking with higher for the extra points.

I agree that 25 extra points is a bit unfair cause its like giving extra points to the smart people but I also admit that I am probably only sticking with higher for the extra points.

The smart people? Some people just can't grasp Maths and do OL, that doesn't make them stupid.

On saying that, there is a huge difference between Higher & Ordinary level in Maths, and so I think the HL students deserve their 25 points.

to Methememb. Obviously the '60,000' didn't receive 25 points.. it wasn't introduced then! It isn't just the topic starter who is entitled to the 25 bonus points - it is every single person who has sat and passed HL maths, regardless of whether it is Project Maths or not. If the 60,000 were to re-apply for the CAO this year, they would all receive the 25 points too.

Regardless of how much you disagree with it, he's still getting his bonus points. So ormond lad, I hope you get what you want on your CAO. :)

Obviously he is, it's still unfair. not that I begrudge you personally OP, it's just the way it is.

Leah there is absolutely no difference between the OP and the others, what about the several thousand who missed their courses by less than 25?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

do we have to explain the whole concept of the points system, AGAIN!

every f'ckin year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

Leahxo wrote: »
    If you were in his position and passed Math before the bonus points were introduced, and just found out you've got yourself an extra 25 points.. would you really call it 'bs'?

Plus, you aren't even doing Math at HL in the first place... I don't see why you're so bothered.

The 25 are offered for those doing project maths hl, he did not take that exam. He should not get the 25. Simple as.

Obviously no one would turn down points and If I was in his position I'd still know it was bs that I was getting them. To be blinded by the fact that you're getting the extra points is stupid. Whatever though, points are points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Well, it evens the playing field for the OP. It's annoying as a person currently sitting through sixth year, but if I were reapplying as the OP is doing I'd be glad of the points, since some of the courses that required honours maths (or that a lot of people that were applying for it had honours maths) the points jumped significantly to account. That would mean the OP would have been using last years grades to try and compete with this years points.

It might not seem fair to us, but put yourself in their shoes and suddenly it's great!

Advertisement