Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to deter dog thieves!

• 19-02-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I have a whippet puppy and recently whilst on walks a lot of travellers have shown interest in her . tonight while walking on a busy road a travellers man got out of his car at the topaz across the road and shouted asking if she was a whippet I replied no a cross breed and continued to walk on . he then began shouting fairly aggressively asking how old she was I didn't answer and kept walking he shouted this six times over until my sister told him to f**k off. I was really worried that he was going to follow us and try grab her .I know having a whippet is going yo attract attention just wondering is there ways to deter people from wanting to grab her or how to protect her if someone tries too !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd be more concerned about someone following you home to see where you live than them grabbing the dog in the street.

Just be vigilant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Putting neutered/spayed and on daily medication on the tag may be a deterrent.
    I keep my dogs inside unless I'm home and keeping an eye on them. I believe that reduces the chances of them being stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Travellers will always show an interest in sighthounds, just be nice tell them she is a pet, a rescue and is spayed, once they know they are spayed they quickly loose interest. I have had it numerous times with my two.
    Some of the younger ones will try say its one of their friends dog or something stupid, just say fine we will call the guards, that soon changes things and the apologies flow.
    I would not worry the majority of travellers are just curious and mean no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Tell anyone who asks about her,that she is neutered,has a weak heart & loves smaller animals,she even sleeps in a basket with your pet rabbit!
    That will put off anyone who wants to steal her for hunting.
    Also,make sure she is microchipped so that if she ever does get stolen,you can prove she is yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My greyhound wears a tag to say she is neutered and microchipped. Love the "and she loves small furries" idea :D

Regarding the chances of theft by travellers, my friend said I should get her a coat for walking that says "Don't bother - I'm neutered!" :D

Which is funny, because she was rescued from travellers. We reckon she'd been stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Do be careful that they don't follow you home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've had them asking about the terriers. I usually say that they're really old, they're auld pets who wouldn't harm a fly, they have a long term illness, and they're neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

maringo wrote: »
    Do be careful that they don't follow you home.

Completely agree, if you see someone following you then don't go home.

Also be sure to never leave her unattended in a back garden or outside a shop. I'm sure you wouldn't but there have even been cases of these types of dogs which are of interest to a particular community being stolen out of houses so if you are leaving her in the house then lock up and leave her in a back room out of sight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Tell them Padraig Nally is your uncle....

Or if you want no trouble, tell them she's neutered like above.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Plus try and take a note of their Reg no. so that at least there's somewhere for the Gardai to try and start looking if anything does happen. But like others say, be careful that you're not followed home. That would be my main fear.

And as pointed out above, be polite if they're near to you (shouting across the road is a different matter!) and drop in the complete opposite bits of info to make him/her completely undesireable for what they're on the lookout for. It'll only get their backs up if they think you're ignoring them or being aggravating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The tags idea is good, but may not be successful with people who do not understand the words, or are unable to read, so definitely best to not leave the dog unattended unless it's in the house and doors are locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

thanks for all the replies guys ! yes will definitely get her tags with all revelant info and would definitely say she's spayed etc ( she will be in two months ) just afraid someone will just jump outta a car to grab her regardless as this has happened twice in Waterford in last six months I never walk alone in the evenings but might start bringing a stick as well ! pity we're not allowed carry mace in this country would feel a lot safer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

<snip>

Do not advise on such methods of self defence on this forum please.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Identitags are the best tags around. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

boomerang wrote: »
    Identitags are the best tags around. :)

Just received 3 of the identitags today for my fellas various collars and harnesses - to replace the maxi zoo 'name and number' ones. Great value and excellent quality. Feels that little bit safer too - to have the 'chipped and neutered info on there as a deterrent.

I also added to the back... If I'm alone, I'm lost - and the numbers. I pass a lot of stray/loose dogs regularly - and they've collars and tags on. But, they're not... Lost. Just allowed to roam.

Great tags.

That's a good idea on the 'If I'm alone' bit - must remember that next time I'm ordering the tags but I've never had to replace the identitags - they're indestructible! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I fostered a greyhound that got alot of attention while we were walking and I would say "this yolk is no good to you he is half deaf,bad eyesight,bad heart and loves cats" :)

Advertisement