Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple release iOS 6.1.2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

This post has been deleted.

Just checked past results on my iPhone and the average is 130ms, on the laptop the average is about 27ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why is latency more on a phone?

wifi chip/cpu/ram in laptops > wifi chip/cpu/ram in phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

coylemj wrote: »
    Hope it fixes the battery drain problem on my iTouch G4.

My 4S was getting terrible battery life since I moved from 5.1 to 6.1.1
    Was holding off on upgrading but some apps were refusing to load at 5.1 (google etc)

My Test:
    * Charge to 100%
    * Close all apps -then remove power - and screen Lock phone
    * Left untouched for 15 minutes.

Usage on the Settings\General page was showing Standby 15Minutes uptime with 15 usage and was hot to touch.

Did a Full Restore (Not upgrade) to this version 6.1.2 and its much better - but not as good as it was on 5.1 (Currently Showing 11 minutes usage for 2 hours standby - think that's mostly down to push emails being turned on)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Floppybits

kceire wrote: »
    i had the WiFi problems on my iPhone 4 and then again my iPhone 5.
    I got rid of the Netgear Router and UPC gave me the all in one modem/wireless router, and its has been perfect ever since.
    It could of been something to do with the channels or WPA/RSK security settings, i'm not technical enough to understand them :(

sometimes people just have to look at the hardware they are using around them.

Kceire, I have an Iphone 4s and everything was working fine on the phone until I upgraded to os 6.1.2, since the upgrade wifi has not worked on my Iphone. It is not the hardware I am using as up until I upgraded the OS everything was working fine. The wifi does not pick up any wifi either my home or my work wifi. Also battery life is not what it was since the upgrade.

My wife also has an iphone and she has no problem connecting to wifi but she hasnt upgraded the OS, my ipod touch has no problem connecting to wifi it is only the Iphone. So I do think that the last upgrade has messed up the wifi connection on some phones for whatever reason.

I have reset the network connection more times than I care to remember, I have restarted my phone more times than I care to remember, I have turned data on and data off and still my iphone does not pick up wifi. on the rare occasions since the upgrade that it did pick up my wifi, it connected and then dropped the connection. The iphone has not been dropped or drowned in water or damaged in anyway but by the upgrade to 6.1.2. I think only option left is to restore the iphone back to the factory settings. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Floppybits wrote: »

Kceire, I have an Iphone 4s and everything was working fine on the phone until I upgraded to os 6.1.2, since the upgrade wifi has not worked on my Iphone. It is not the hardware I am using as up until I upgraded the OS everything was working fine. The wifi does not pick up any wifi either my home or my work wifi. Also battery life is not what it was since the upgrade.

My wife also has an iphone and she has no problem connecting to wifi but she hasnt upgraded the OS, my ipod touch has no problem connecting to wifi it is only the Iphone. So I do think that the last upgrade has messed up the wifi connection on some phones for whatever reason.

I have reset the network connection more times than I care to remember, I have restarted my phone more times than I care to remember, I have turned data on and data off and still my iphone does not pick up wifi. on the rare occasions since the upgrade that it did pick up my wifi, it connected and then dropped the connection. The iphone has not been dropped or drowned in water or damaged in anyway but by the upgrade to 6.1.2. I think only option left is to restore the iphone back to the factory settings. :(
    When you say pick up wifi do you mean it finds no ssid's or it just won't connect? If its the latter, go to settings then wifi and tap other. Type in the ssid, it's the name you tap on to connect to the wifi, next pick what security is enabled and next the pass key. It should connect that way and stay connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Floppybits

guil wrote: »
    When you say pick up wifi do you mean it finds no ssid's or it just won't connect? If its the latter, go to settings then wifi and tap other. Type in the ssid, it's the name you tap on to connect to the wifi, next pick what security is enabled and next the pass key. It should connect that way and stay connected

have tried that as well and I get the error "could not scan for other networks". have even tried sticking it in the freezer for a few minutes and it did work for about a minute or 2 and then dropped the wifi connection. Now all I get is the spinning circle in the wifi section saying choose a network.

Floppybits wrote: »

have tried that as well and I get the error "could not scan for other networks". have even tried sticking it in the freezer for a few minutes and it did work for about a minute or 2 and then dropped the wifi connection. Now all I get is the spinning circle in the wifi section saying choose a network.

Try changing the band the wifi is set to use by logging into the wifi modem- try them all one at a time to find a clear band....

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Hi folks,

I recently got a 32gb 4s, was going super up until i installed the 6.1.2 update

Basically now whats happening is im only getting about half a day out of my battery life, and my usage/standby time are reading as almost identical, save for maybe 8 or ten minutes over the course of the day.

Ive tried a, hard restart, network reset, turned off icloud, mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, basically everything except putting it to airplane mode..

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions on what to do next? :(

Hi folks,

I recently got a 32gb 4s, was going super up until i installed the 6.1.2 update

Basically now whats happening is im only getting about half a day out of my battery life, and my usage/standby time are reading as almost identical, save for maybe 8 or ten minutes over the course of the day.

Ive tried a, hard restart, network reset, turned off icloud, mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, basically everything except putting it to airplane mode..

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions on what to do next? :(

Yes - exactly what I was seeing. Usage and Standby times were the same - even when the phone is screen-locked - 15mins usage in 15minutes standby.

Didnt have this problem with 5.1 software - only after upgraded to 6.1 and 6.2 didn't fix battery issue.

To fix:

I did a full restore from pc - then resynced from pc to get apps back.
    I stopped Everything
    (except - Wifi I left on - and Notifications i left on)
    - disabled bluetooth & personal hotspot
    - disabled cellular data (3G etc)
    - disabled Siri
    - disabled Privicy/Location Services
    - disabled Privicy/Location Services/System Services (all items)
    - disabled all email (not deleted - just disabled)
    - force closed all background apps.

Tested for 15minutes in standby - and was reporting 1 minute usage... so not bad.

So I started to reenable them all again a few at a time - got all I wanted enabled - and standby is about 2 or 3 minutes in 15 now - so I left it at that.
    Dont know what it was - but I still have some location stuff off (time zone stuff etc)

Let us know if you find exactly the setting that tips it over the edge.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

ozmo wrote: »
    To fix:

I did a full restore from pc - then resynced from pc to get apps back.
    I stopped Everything
    (except - Wifi I left on - and Notifications i left on)
    - disabled bluetooth & personal hotspot
    - disabled cellular data (3G etc)
    - disabled Siri
    - disabled Privicy/Location Services
    - disabled Privicy/Location Services/System Services (all items)
    - disabled all email (not deleted - just disabled)
    - force closed all background apps.

Tested for 15minutes in standby - and was reporting 1 minute usage... so not bad.

So I started to reenable them all again a few at a time - got all I wanted enabled - and standby is about 2 or 3 minutes in 15 now - so I left it at that.
    Dont know what it was - but I still have some location stuff off (time zone stuff etc)

Let us know if you find exactly the setting that tips it over the edge.

hi there, im experiencing the same problems with my 4s,

It has been on at least ios6 since i got it ( a few weeks) and have had no trouble up until I installed 6.1.2, I must ad that battery life was brilliant on 6.1.1.

I tried everything nastyboy did, to no avail,

I erased all contents & settings this morning and set up as a new phone, loaded my contacts etc from i cloud (not restore) and sync'd my apps from itunes.

The problem still remains - even in airplane mode. :(

I guess its a common enough issue??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I use of these......relax, Its a joke ;)

charger_zps855e7f7d.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

^

I'd need one that i could run on fresh air, :D

only getting a couple of hours with it,

Pulled it out of charge @ 06:10 am this morning, no bluetooth/wifi/applications running and by 08:00 it was down to 86% battery - never even came out of my pocket. :(

Cheensbo wrote: »
    ^

I'd need one that i could run on fresh air, :D

only getting a couple of hours with it,

Pulled it out of charge @ 06:10 am this morning, no bluetooth/wifi/applications running and by 08:00 it was down to 86% battery - never even came out of my pocket. :(

And its hot to touch as well?

Same issue as me- i fixed mine with the above steps.
    The 'usage' menu is very useful and removes any subjective measurements of batterydrain.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Seems to me that 6.1.2 has broken personal hotspot over USB. I used to simply plug the phone into my MacBook and tethering would be enabled instantly. No longer the case on my 5, 4, 4S and 3GS. Still works by wifi and Bluetooth but USB seems FUBAR.

Anyone else noticed this?

And its hot to touch as well?

Same issue as me- i fixed mine with the above steps.
    The 'usage' menu is very useful and removes any subjective measurements of batterydrain.

No, surprisingly - gets hot the odd time, but generally running as cool as ever.

Ive tried:

Basic reset
    Network reset
    Erase all content and settings
    Running then with no backup
    Restored to pre- 6.1.2 backup
    Hard Reset without sim-card & with all networking & location etc settings off

None of these have made the slightest difference, well, maybe a placebo effect but seems to be marginally improved when i have most networking settings switched off.

Today: unplugged at 06:18, now @ 10:04 im at 76%, have only used the phone for 20 mins max, no usage or stdby data as i did a hard reset earlier.

Now that I think of it, I havent done a full pc restore. Would you think the result would be any different from the above? :o

Starting to think that perhaps I have a hardware issue

No, surprisingly - gets hot the odd time, but generally running as cool as ever.

Ive tried:

None of these have made the slightest difference,

Yes - none of those helped me either when I tried it - the list i gave in my previous post did help however and fixed it for me.

well, maybe a placebo effect but seems to be marginally improved when i have most networking settings switched off.
    Today: unplugged at 06:18, now @ 10:04 im at 76%,

Again - use the usage menu as the basis for working out battery drain - that takes phone calls and screen brightness etc taken during the testing out of the equation as the phone is in standby for 15 minutes.

“Roll it back”

Yes - none of those helped me either when I tried it - the list i gave in my previous post did help however and fixed it for me.

Okay, I'd best wait till im home from work to do this, ill be fired if i spend the day messing at the phone again. :pac:

Again - use the usage menu as the basis for working out battery drain - that takes phone calls and screen brightness etc taken during the testing out of the equation as the phone is in standby for 15 minutes.

Yep, odd thing ive noticed though - as my usage & standby times were matching, the only time the usage would drop away from the standby time was when I was using the phone in the car through the bluetooth kit.

i.e. before phone call: usage would be 10minutes, standby 10 minutes,

and after a 20 minute call: usage would be 10 minutes, standby 30minutes,

all other times, the usage and standby would remain the same, save for the odd minute here and there..

Thanks again for the advice, ill do a full itunes restore later and report back, fingers crossed :)

:mad:

Decided to have a go at a restore during my lunch break,

feckin work pc failed to restore it, happened before and I had the use of another pc at the time, which worked, today I'm alone so Im stuck in recovery mode 'till i get home this evening,

Will post progress later. :o

So got the phone reset via itunes,

Set it up as new, no restore from backup or sync,

have everything switched off.

Location services
    bluetooth & personal hotspot
    Wifi
    Notifications
    Mobile data
    Siri
    No emails
    No apps installed/running

And now showing

26mins usage
    29mins standby

:(

marginally improved :/

• Advertisement

Scratch that,

Fully charged the phone, unplugged Turned everything off, incl switch to airplane mode last night at 12:00 midnight,

Picked it up and unlocked it at 06:10 and it was down to 82% :o standby & usage were only 1 minute apart :mad:

Feck.

Scratch that,

Fully charged the phone, unplugged Turned everything off, incl switch to airplane mode last night at 12:00 midnight,

Picked it up and unlocked it at 06:10 and it was down to 82% :o standby & usage were only 1 minute apart :mad:

Feck.

Sorry- wish i knew exactly what fixed it for me....
    Did you try 10 mins with cellular data off?

The only thing i still have off is all the options in
    Settings/privacy/locationservices/systemservices
    And bluetooth and hotspot are also off.

“Roll it back”

No problem, I appreicate the help & advice :)

Yeah ive tried with cellular data off, ive had it off any time im in a wifi zone, only thing ive noticed though, is, there's always some interference coming from the phone when i have it near a speaker i.e as if a call is about to come through, - you know the sound.

I use bluetooth, but switch it off soon as i get out of the car,

Ive tried pretty much everything I can think of at this stage,

Downloaded a different copy of ios 6.1.2 from iosdl.com and installed it too; to no avail.

Even went as far as downloading a few system monitoring apps, and nothing out of the blue seems to be running when i compare it to my mothers 4s which is having no draining issues.

Stumped, hopefully ios 6.1.3 will cure it :o

Right now im at:

6hr 12 mins usage
    6hr 28 min standby :pac:

If you can think of anything else, ill give it a shot,

I really doubt its a hardware problem as this only began once i downloaded 6.1.2, was A1 on 6.1, lasted feckin days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

My battery issues have been solved by turning off data and 3G. Dont know what it was using but it's solved it now. Only reason I did so was because it was using my allowence too quickly.

Try taking the sim out for maybe 20 mins and see does it change the usage data

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    My battery issues have been solved by turning off data and 3G. Dont know what it was using but it's solved it now. Only reason I did so was because it was using my allowence too quickly.

Have tried this, :o didnt work, and besides, i need data & 3g :(

Thanks anyway
    Try taking the sim out for maybe 20 mins and see does it change the usage data

Did this just now, made no bearing on the usage,

Removed sim @ 08:00 :

usage 1hr 50 min
    Stdby 1hr 51 min

Checked @ 08:25

usage 2hr 15 min
    Stdyby 2hr 16 min :(

When you turned off location services did you scroll down and go to system services, have you got email set up?

Turned the whole lot off yes,

I have email set to manual fetch,

I did try running the phone completely restored, and turned literally anything that could be switched off, off.

Symptoms still remained, although in a lesser state.

But at that the phone was unusable, my work issue blockia has more function. :pac:

Meant to update this sooner,

Thanks for the help lads,

ended up being a battery/connector fault,

Sent it back to the crowd i bought it off, they replaced the battery and she's as good as new now. :)

• Advertisement

ended up being a battery/connector fault,

Sent it back to the crowd i bought it off, they replaced the battery and she's as good as new now. :)

Cool - So for you, the following doesnt happen anymore since the battery was replaced? The usage is now again much much smaller than the standby?
    usage 1hr 50 min
    Stdby 1hr 51 min

Checked @ 08:25

usage 2hr 15 min
    Stdyby 2hr 16 min

“Roll it back”

Advertisement