Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin for job, 4 day week, best accomodation options?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

May have a job offer in Dublin, hoping it can be done over 4 days enabling me to get home Thursday night to Sunday. Will probably travel up and down by train as I think that would be cheaper than petrol cost and parking issues.

Will still have to maintain my own house etc so looking for the most convenient option for staying centrally in Dublin, what am I looking at? Rent a 1 bed apt or is there some other option I have not thought of.

Seldom even visit Dublin, spent one year in college there 30 yrs ago, hate the very thought of it but needs must. Any suggestions and idea of likely costs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Where is your house? Is commuting an option? A friend does it from Athenry 3 days a week and on her taxsaver ticket it works out at under €30 a week.

City centre accommodation is the most expensive. Suburban accommodation is more cost effective but all depends on where your job is etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28 faceache

House is over 4 hrs by train, similar in a car with no traffic, if I were to drive to Dublin city centre on a normal work day at the moment I would allow 5 hrs from home so commuting not an option.

Job would be practically city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Maybe think about a house share. I live in Raheny. Its about 20 mins to city centre and its on the dart line. You would get a decent place from €350-400. A 1 bed apartment would be around €800-€900.
    Have a look at places near dart/luas lines. Good luck!m

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

faceache wrote: »
    Seldom even visit Dublin, spent one year in college there 30 yrs ago, hate the very thought of it but needs must.
    Best looking for a house-share in a mature area not too near colleges, to avoid party-mad students.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

faceache wrote: »
    House is over 4 hrs by train, similar in a car with no traffic, if I were to drive to Dublin city centre on a normal work day at the moment I would allow 5 hrs from home so commuting not an option.

Job would be practically city centre.

There are hostels at varying prices down to €14 a night, sharing a room with others. You may be able to get lodgings with a family in the suburbs. A studio/bedsit will run from €400 a month in Rathmines, Phibsoro or surrounding areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I know lots of people whom stay up during the work week. There are a few options.

Advertise what you want - Lots of people will take in a weekday tenant so advertise what you are looking for. People struggling with their mortgage would be happy for a part time tenant.

B&Bs - You can get a special deal with them if you talk to them

Hotels- Like B&Bs can be happy to have a steady guest

I'd go with the B&B option to start and then look to see if you can get a room with somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

You are going to be in Dublin 4 days per week only.
    1 bed apt is 700 - 800 + gas + electricity + internet + utility bills + + +

I've seen number of rooms to let with bills included for 300 - 400 euro per month.

Search for owner occupied house. - you will have an advantage of usually quiet clean and looked after environment and you won't be repsonsible for any bills when you are away, house owner will enjoy weekends without tenant.

Advertisement