Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobo for 3570k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The ASRock, definitely. The Gene isn't worth it unless you really want an mATX board that has absolutely everything. The ASRock is a solid board, and a great overclocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Serephucus wrote: »
    The ASRock, definitely. The Gene isn't worth it unless you really want an mATX board that has absolutely everything. The ASRock is a solid board, and a great overclocker.
    Wow I didn't even notice it was mATX. Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah the ASRock is looking like the definite choice after more research.

Which 1,600mhz ram would you think would be best for this mobo/cpu cross for gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

DaLad wrote: »
    Wow I didn't even notice it was mATX. Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah the ASRock is looking like the definite choice after more research.

Which 1,600mhz ram would you think would be best for this mobo/cpu cross for gaming?

corsair vengance low profile would be my recommendation..

That's what I went with, but it was purely a colour thing. Any 1600MHz RAM would be fine. Ivy Bridge processors benefit a little from faster RAM, but I wouldn't bother spending the extra on anything faster. It's very bad value unless you're doing some serious benching or something. 1600 is the sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The Asrock Z77 pro4 is cheaper and has most of the features of the extreme -sli capabilities.

It's a great board if you aren't going sli down the line. It has crossfire though.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    The Asrock Z77 pro4 is cheaper and has most of the features of the extreme -sli capabilities.

It's a great board if you aren't going sli down the line. It has crossfire though.

I was also looking at this especially for the cheaper price but if I'm wanting to get as much overclocking for my money without going to any extreme watercooling for the moment, wouldn't it be the safer/better option to go with the extreme board?

dwighet wrote: »
    corsair vengance low profile would be my recommendation..

Yeah I like the look of these and it's what I was looking at. Can someone tell me if there's any advantages as to getting 2 x 4gb or would 1 x 8gb give the same effect?

The Extreme4 is an excellent overclocker. I'm at 4.6GHz at the moment on a 3570K, and that's because of thermal limits. If you're on air you won't notice a difference. It'll most come down to how good of a chip you get, and what sort of voltage it needs. The motherboard would be the last thing I'd worry about for Ivy. I'd look at the chip and cooling first.

I think dual channel performs about 10% better than single. I'd go with the dual. It's unlikely you will need more than 16gb in the next 5 years. By that time you will need a full upgrade anyway.

I'm running at 4.5 on the pro 4. I can run at 4.6 but it's a little hotter than I like. I'm sure the extreme is capable of more but you won't run into those limit's on air or possibly even water.

Thanks for your replies, appreciate any help.

Also, for the 'best bang for my buck' I've heard the 'Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO' is a decent CPU cooler to replace the stock cooler.

Would ye recommend this?

• Advertisement

BloodBath will certainly recommend it (honorary CM employee, right there. :P). It's certainly leagues above the stock cooler, though I'd be more inclined to go for a watercooler for noise reasons. If you're thinking of going water anyway at some point, then it's certainly an excellent air solution.

Haha I am a fan :p

It's a great cooler for the money. I have 1 myself. Maxing at 60c load at 4.5ghz.

It's relatively quiet as well.

Have you guys any idea where I can get the Xigmatek Asgard 382 with the orange bits on front like this from:
    h764538-360-360-xigmatek-alfar-fen.jpg

That's the exact case I want and nowhere has it in orange and only one place seems to have it in any colour, techdirect.ie, not even scan or hardwareversand have it.

Advertisement