Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Sundance the Westie

• 19-02-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

We lost one of our Westies to Pancreatitus tonight. His name was Sundance, his westie brother is called Butch and their younger Shih-Tsu sisters' name was going to be obvious the moment we got her. Cassidy.

Sundance or as we called him, Sing Sing Song Song Sun Sun because he was always singing was only Nine years old. He developed pancreatitus a few months ago but while he didn't seem to have any further painful episodes for the last 2 months he was loosing weight by the day and was very skinny. He stopped eating the other day and the vet booked him in for an ultrasound for this morning. We were very concerned yeasterday as he couldn't settle and brought him to the vet. His temperature was fine as was his colour and gums were nice and pink etc. We worried for him and knew he might have to be admitted if he got worse to help ifght off whatever bug he had gotten because it still didn't look like another bought of acute pancreatitus to us. He had a bad night at home and we brought him to the vet first thing this morning beven before the ultrsound appointment. His temperature had shot up, his heart rate was racing, he was groaning in pain. He was admitted and though the pain meds, drip and whatever else they gave him was bringing the temp and heart rate down a bit, we were told it was touch and go and should have him overnighted in UCD.

We went down at 7 to collect him and bring him in but he had detiorated again in the previous hour. He was brought out to us in an examination room and was in obvious pain. There was a slim chance we were told but UCD do not let you stay with the dog so we risked not being there for him with the high probability he would go during the night. We were going to give him that last chance even if it was selfish of us.However he gave us all present a sign with the loudest moan yet which prompted the lovely Vet lady to check his eyes. He was having a seizure. Every bump on the road into UCD would be agony and he likely would pass away on the way there.

We had to make the agonising decision to let him go with myself and my mum there with him. Telling him how much we loved him, letting him hear all the lovely pet names we had for him. Stroking him, kissing him.

It was the right thing to do but I don't think I have ever been this distraught in my life.

RIP poor SunSun man. You were the most amazing little fella we ever knew.....

8489570723_1d59f8194b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm not even going to read that to be honest because I have 2 brown westies in my utility that I just walked and I just can't bare the thought that one day one of em will leave me .

Rip sundance x

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fantastic picture of a Westie Pestie boy! He looks like he's dancing there!

So very very sorry for you and your families loss OP, it was a tough decision, but the right one. Take care of each other over the next few days

RIP Sundance :) I'm sure you're singing and dancing wherever you are now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry, losing a beloved animal is one of the hardest things in the world. But at least you were able to give the final kindness of ending his suffering and you were there with him at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I am so so sorry, they are the greatest dogs with hearts like lions. You did the right thing by him, poor little guy. Take care if yourself, hugs and thoughts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

You don't know how much your kind words mean to me. Its nearly 5am and I am up bawling again and while on the one hand its painful to read again what I wrote last night, it gives me comfort that others understand what its like and appreciate the joy these little guys and gals bring to our lives.

Most of his life another pet name we had for him was Little Prince SunSun man. God we gave him so many pet names he was probably confused half the time, "[Looks around]You talkin to me??"

How apt then, that phrase....

Goodnight Sweet Prince......

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    You don't know how much your kind words mean to me. Its nearly 5am and I am up bawling again and while on the one hand its painful to read again what I wrote last night, it gives me comfort that others understand what its like and appreciate the joy these little guys and gals bring to our lives.

Most of his life another pet name we had for him was Little Prince SunSun man. God we gave him so many pet names he was probably confused half the time, "[Looks around]You talkin to me??"

oh dear, crying again at work :(, my heart is sore for you.

I know what you mean about the nick names - I have loads of little nicknames for my two westies. maggie gets bridie all the time because shes such a fussy old woman (shes only 6) and scamp gets buster because hes so bold!

I dread the day it comes to my door but console yourself with the fact that although short, he had a brilliant life, and was loved and spoiled.

he looks so happy in the picture. RIP wee pet :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

So sorry for you loss Calibos. Couldn't bear the thought of losing either of my dogs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

When I lost my beloved JRT Gráinne (The Mighty/GD/Boss/Scrum Pumpkin/My Love) last Sept after 16 years together I posted in this forum and it helped knowing I wasn't alone in feeling such horrendous grief at the loss of my best friend and constant companion. People were so kind and understanding - no one here thinks 'just a dog' - and everyone understood that guilt we feel following the decision to have a one's best mate PTS, even when we know it was the kindest thing we could do as they were in constant pain with no hope of recovery (GD had a liver tumor)..still we question...still we think 'what if'... or 'if only I had'...or the most heartbreaking of all 'was it really time? Maybe we could have had a while longer...'

I still miss her terribly and would give anything to see her little face peer around the corner at me to complain that the back door wasn't opened immediately for her but as my granddaughter pointed out last week - now we can talk about her without me crying every time (tears are welling again :(.)

With time OP you will be able to see past your pain and loss and the remberance of little things your Sun Prince did will make you smile even as you cry.

You are not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Run free, little guy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Such a huge write up for the death of dog wow bit ott?

• Advertisement

JustRoss23 wrote: »

you're being cruel. losing a pet is awful. its comforting to get the support of like minded pet owners by posting here. there will be enough people with the 'its only a dog' attitude. I see you posting recently you were hoping to get a puppy. maybe if you do, you'll come to realise how important our pets become to us and you'll have a bit more empathy.

and did no one ever tell you that if you have nothing nice to say, then dont say anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I know I shouldn't respond to this and accept an infraction for it, but I wanted to leave this in response
    From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog" or "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog", and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day. If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings ...out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog", but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man" or "just a woman." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile, because they "just don't understand."

I'm sorry for your loss OP. Please ignore anybody who tries to play down your grief. True dog lovers understand.

I cannot fathom the mentality of somebody who feels the need to troll a thread like this. Disgusting.

i am not a troll how dare you try to say i am.

I also called your mentality into question. Perhaps you should report the post?

Please stop derailing the thread. It's unnecessary.

Wow. Just Wow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

R.I.P SUNDANCE , anyone who ever had a pet and loved and lost him/ her knows exactly how you feel and empathize with you op

OP how are you feeling today? Did you manage to get any sleep?

Wow. Just Wow :rolleyes:

so sorry OP. I dont understand whats happening in this forum lately. thread after thread derailed and its usually by people who only check in occasionally.

its depressing to say the least.

i am sorry for the ops loss god damn i simply asked a question sorry if it offended :(
    No point in reporting your nasty post towards me the mods will only side with you:(

Whispered wrote: »
    OP how are you feeling today? Did you manage to get any sleep?

Knocked myself out with panadol night and a another when I woke back up about 5 hours later. So I got plenty of sleep in the end, but I just want to go back to sleep again even now. I've never felt this distraught in my life. I want to go back to sleep and hope tomorrow is better. Butch and Cassidy are realising somethings up and Sunny isn't coming back and now they are depressed too. Thinking about Sunny breaks my heart. Thinking about them thinking about Sunny breaks my heart. Thinking about how the rest of the family are feeling is breaking my heart. Thinking about having to go through this another two times with Butch and Cassidy in the next few years even if we never get another dog is breaking my heart.

I miss my Baba SunSun so much I just cant stop crying.

• Advertisement

:( i wish i knew what to say to make you feel better but theres nothing. i can barely go away for the bloody weekend because I miss mine so much never mind losing them like sundance.

Its just going to take time. Hug your other fur babies close and enjoy every minute with them. Be kind to yourself. Look at pictures and videos of sundance and relive all the fun times. Remind yourself how lucky you were to have such a special dog.

Will certainly be hugging my two very close tonight.

Dogs are much more accepting of death than a human is. They will miss their buddy, of course, but they will be absolutely fine in the long run. Try not be too upset for them, watch them, you'll see them still enjoying life even now when they're confused about what is happening. It might be a momentary game, or a happy little tail wag but it will help make you feel better.

As for how you're feeling, that is totally normal and a sign of what a loving caring owner you are. Lucky dogs! He has had a good life and looks like a happy fella. You did the right thing for him, it's not much comfort now, but hopefully in time it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'm so sorry OP, I've been through it myself, absolutely devastating and heartbreaking, I cried many many nights (and sometimes still do and it was almost 6 years ago), let yourself grieve, go with it and ignore the ignorance of those who don't understand.

Take care of yourself and your family.
    TP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know it seems hard at the moment but trust me, it does get easier, soon you will be looking back on your time with your beloved dog and smiling at the memories rather than bring reduced to tears. I know with my dog who died 2 years ago this April I was distraught but now I can laugh at memories with her and they bring me happiness. I still shed the occasional tear but it gets so much easier. You did the right thing though it is one of the hardest decisions but I feel it as a privilege to be able to help a long term friend slip into the next life with ease, it really is one of the kindest things to do in the end. Hope you feel better soon OP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

i am sorry for the ops loss god damn i simply asked a question sorry if it offended :(
    No point in reporting your nasty post towards me the mods will only side with you:(

You are a troll.
    Have an infraction for these posts.

Dont argue with a mod on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Calibos I'm so sorry for your loss, but you did so much to make his life amazing fair play to you. I have a Westie too and they are the most tenacious, spirited and crazy dogs ever. I was crying reading your posts and looking at my own little fella. I feel we only get the loan of our dogs and as long as they are loved and happy that's all that matters. Take care of yourselves xx

I am not a troll i don't like you accusing me of that. i simply gave my opinion since when is that banned on boards. i would like to discuss this infraction with another mod who is neutral as you are not.

This is not an 'opinion's thread, its a condolences thread. now for the loving honour of god will you go away and take your whinging to PM. you've ruined this thread for the rest of us. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Such a beautiful charming little sweetheart. Of course you miss him, but he was a loved and lucky little dog to have had you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This is not an 'opinion's thread, its a condolences thread. now for the loving honour of god will you go away and take your whinging to PM. you've ruined this thread for the rest of us. :mad:

Westie--Id already dealt with this and yet you still had to respond.
    Please dont respond after a mod has already dealt with the issue.And be thankful Im not issuing you an infraction for this post.

Advertisement