Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Greyhound Racing

Options
  • 19-02-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, i am seriously thinking of getting into greyhound racing and i know there is alot to do but i want to train the dog myself as my hoddie and a bit of fun so where do i start?

1.Place to keep the dog how much room do i need?
    2.how much will ot cost me per week for feed etc roughly?
    3. Walks and gallops when and how often?
    4.how much time should i be prepared to give each day?

basically a quick starters guide, ill probably buy from the igb organised sales but i dont want to go in blind i want to give the dog the right care firstly winning races isnt a priority just want a bit of fun.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Go to your local track and talk to the people there . you can get lots of information there and maybe even a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RallyMan555

Nowso wrote: »
    Go to your local track and talk to the people there . you can get lots of information there and maybe even a dog.

Ya that is probably a good idea thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Hi, i am seriously thinking of getting into greyhound racing and i know there is alot to do but i want to train the dog myself as my hoddie and a bit of fun so where do i start?

1.Place to keep the dog how much room do i need?
    2.how much will ot cost me per week for feed etc roughly?
    3. Walks and gallops when and how often?
    4.how much time should i be prepared to give each day?

basically a quick starters guide, ill probably buy from the igb organised sales but i dont want to go in blind i want to give the dog the right care firstly winning races isnt a priority just want a bit of fun.

Thanks.
    For a dog in training 13 months and older, u need a kennel maybe 6x 4, training is two 1/2-3/4 mile walks a day, 1 or 2 times for them to clean themselves. u gallop them every second/third day leading up to a race.id say an hour an a half a day it would take(around the same for 2 or 3 dogs as ur walking them together). Not sure of the costs, my auld lad spends a fortune on good meat, but racing nuts should do unless hes a derby winner! Its good fun until u lose a few races:(

kevthegaff wrote: »
    For a dog in training 13 months and older, u need a kennel maybe 6x 4, training is two 1/2-3/4 mile walks a day, 1 or 2 times for them to clean themselves. u gallop them every second/third day leading up to a race.id say an hour an a half a day it would take(around the same for 2 or 3 dogs as ur walking them together). Not sure of the costs, my auld lad spends a fortune on good meat, but racing nuts should do unless hes a derby winner! Its good fun until u lose a few races:(

Thats great thanks, i presume a gallop in a field would do? I know in a field obviously they would be more lightly to pick an injury but wouldnt have the space for a purposr built one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

there private gallops you can use around

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    there private gallops you can use around

I'm in the north cork area does anyone know where there a gallops I could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I'm in the north cork area does anyone know where there a gallops I could use?

Theres a gallop up the side of Banteer Schooling Track but have no idea how close you are to Banteer.

tvercetti wrote: »

Theres a gallop up the side of Banteer Schooling Track but have no idea how close you are to Banteer.

About 35mins from Banteer and an you pay and use that?

Thanks everyone for the tips really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Two 1/2 or 3/4 mile walks per day ?? You need a dog to be as hard as the road he walks on.Then start the hard work of galloping[do not bring a dog to gallops soft or he will pull a muscle].

• Advertisement
Advertisement