Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauticians advice! Or anyone with sunbed experience!

• 19-02-2013 11:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys and girls!
    Well im a guy, and Im seeking advice on sunbeds/sunshowers! Now i know they are unhealthy but i dont intend to use them everyday for long periods of time!
    I have never set foot in one before in my life but im booked to go on a sun holiday in July and when I go i dont want to arrive there looking like casper the friendly ghost ! I can already predict how dreadfully pale i will look in the photos with all my friends ( who all have more of a tan then i do) so i want to get nice and tanned before i go on holiday so i can take off my top without blinding people with my white paleness !!

But ive not got a clue how the whole sunbeds thing works!! I know you have to build it up over time but when should i start? And how long do i go on for each visit? I dont want to be extremely tanned just a little naturally looking colour which i can top up on holiday by the beach ;)
    I do tan up nicely when im out in the sun but as i live in Ireland i end up pale almost all year round!

Another thing is i dont want my face to be tanned to much, cause I dont want people in work and stuff to know i go on the beds! Id get some stick :P so untill closer to the date id rather avoid getting tan on my face! Sounds ridiculous i know but is it possible to cover my head in the beds?
    Thanks for any reply's! Really appreciate it !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I know you don't want to hear this but my advice is to stay away from the sunbeds. Have a read of this, is it really worth it. Get a good spray tan before you go on holidays and top it up with a tanning moisturiser if needs be while you are away.

http://www.cancer.ie/reduce-your-risk/sunsmart/sunbeds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jadie wrote: »
    I know you don't want to hear this but my advice is to stay away from the sunbeds. Have a read of this, is it really worth it. Get a good spray tan before you go on holidays and top it up with a tanning moisturiser if needs be while you are away.

http://www.cancer.ie/reduce-your-risk/sunsmart/sunbeds

Thank you for your concern and the info you posted! I was very much aware of the dangers of sunbeds to health and bearing this in mind decided i would still use them! As i said i only want to use them a couple time for a short period , I know this is still considered damaging but im not overly concerned that a couple of goes on a sunbed will kill me. This may sound stupid but when you compare it to the likes of alcohol and fatty food, which are also very unhealth, they have never killed anyone when taken in moderation. I have good skin , that takes to to the sun well and i dont intend to burn myself from the sunbeds , hence why i am on here asking for advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Locker10a wrote: »
    Thank you for your concern and the info you posted! I was very much aware of the dangers of sunbeds to health and bearing this in mind decided i would still use them! As i said i only want to use them a couple time for a short period , I know this is still considered damaging but im not overly concerned that a couple of goes on a sunbed will kill me. This may sound stupid but when you compare it to the likes of alcohol and fatty food, which are also very unhealth, they have never killed anyone when taken in moderation. I have good skin , that takes to to the sun well and i dont intend to burn myself from the sunbeds , hence why i am on here asking for advice !

I wouldnt usually bother to post this especially when someone has their mind made up. My sister had skin cancer this year and after speaking to the dermatologist about it he made it clear that even one visit to a sunbed can be what causes the cell mutation. I saw him myself after that to get checked and when i told him i had never been on one he was relieved and said the same to me. It's not something you can use in moderation as dont forget every day your skin is already under the influence of uv rays and so the even ones first time on the sunbed is not really their first time exposure. Als where my sisters cancer was, was an area that had never seen the sun but had on her very few sessions on the sunbed.

I wouldnt usually bother to post this especially when someone has their mind made up. My sister had skin cancer this year and after speaking to the dermatologist about it he made it clear that even one visit to a sunbed can be what causes the cell mutation. I saw him myself after that to get checked and when i told him i had never been on one he was relieved and said the same to me. It's not something you can use in moderation as dont forget every day your skin is already under the influence of uv rays and so the even ones first time on the sunbed is not really their first time exposure. Als where my sisters cancer was, was an area that had never seen the sun but had on her very few sessions on the sunbed.

Thanks for you advice and insight too! Im sure your sister is recovering fine by now and i hope shes in good form! I also know someone close to me who gor skin cancer(its quite common) however she did not get it from the sunbeds as she has never been on one! Nor was she out sun bathing on holidays! But yes I understand how bad they are for you! Im still considering the options of sunbeds though! I still dont see it as an immediate threat to my health! But i will also consider a spray tan! But how does this work? If its just like the usual fake tan that girls wear that comes off on your clothes and washes off in the shower then its pretty useless isint it! Or can you get a more permanent one?

Thanks for you advice and insight too! Im sure your sister is recovering fine by now and i hope shes in good form! I also know someone close to me who gor skin cancer(its quite common) however she did not get it from the sunbeds as she has never been on one! Nor was she out sun bathing on holidays! But yes I understand how bad they are for you! Im still considering the options of sunbeds though! I still dont see it as an immediate threat to my health! But i will also consider a spray tan! But how does this work? If its just like the usual fake tan that girls wear that comes off on your clothes and washes off in the shower then its pretty useless isint it! Or can you get a more permanent one?
    A spray tan will last about a week if you moisturise twice a day

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »
    A spray tan will last about a week if you moisturise twice a day
    Ok thanks a mill! Might consider this! Are they dear?

Ok thanks a mill! Might consider this! Are they dear?
    Between €20-€35 usually, salons often have them on special offer too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Gradual tanning moisturisers are a good call, and you can go as dark as you want to so you won't look like an oompa loompa! Most supermarkets and pharmacies sell them and you have loads of time to play around with ones you may like (they are pretty cheap too!) - all you do is apply them daily, or every second day, and you build up a nice looking tan while moisturising your skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I've used a sun bed for different sessions before going on holidays in the past so here is a reply from the other side!

Your beautician will advise you but normally you start off on 2 minutes and over the weeks you work up to a maximum of 12 at a time. I found it best to go two days consecutively, take a day off, go the next day, take a day off then start the cycle again.

Where I went the part for your face was separate and you could have that off as your body tanned or choose to turn it on for the last minute only.

Best advice I can give is to buy a good tanning lotion. I love Cheeky Brown by Australian Gold.

I've used a sun bed for different sessions before going on holidays in the past so here is a reply from the other side!

Your beautician will advise you but normally you start off on 2 minutes and over the weeks you work up to a maximum of 12 at a time. I found it best to go two days consecutively, take a day off, go the next day, take a day off then start the cycle again.

Where I went the part for your face was separate and you could have that off as your body tanned or choose to turn it on for the last minute only.

Best advice I can give is to buy a good tanning lotion. I love Cheeky Brown by Australian Gold.

Ah ok! Thanks a mill for the advice! I've loads of options to choose from now so il have to see :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement