Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

On the final mission (it unlocked in aisia at 6pm yesterday), its pretty good except that its very easy even on hardest level. Graphics are amazing, sound is good. My internet it too crap to play multiplayer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

hate multiplayer
    feels like halo with the sponges (i dont like halo thats probably why :P )
    will wait until its cheaper just for singleplayer
    huntermode is enjoyable but certain things in it need to be balanced
    graphics i cant really comment on since its console but i suppose its good for console would much prefer it on pc though to give a better opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Def will be picking this up for PC.

My laptop should still be able to get decent graphics out of it, if they've got support for crossfire in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone know where I can buy a cheap key for this on pc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One of the lads in the bargain thread mentioned this as a place for checking prices:

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

On the final mission (it unlocked in aisia at 6pm yesterday), its pretty good except that its very easy even on hardest level. Graphics are amazing, sound is good. My internet it too crap to play multiplayer.

How many missions in the campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

How many missions in the campaign?

OK so finished it on second from hardest difficulty (super soldier difficulty is just instagib for the enimies). 7 missions in total, 6 hours play time according to origin. Let me say I have played crysis 1, warhead and crysis 2 and enjoyed them all. I was really looking forward to this one.

Pros:
    1. Graphics are stunning, I have a pretty good PC and maxed out on very high, its a real treat.
    2. Music and sounds are good.
    3. Front end and interface are good and all splash screens are skiable.
    4. Weapons are good and feel meaty to use.
    5. Bow is fun and plenty of ammo for it around the place.
    6. Production, artwork and textures are top drawer, also not one crash, glitch, poor texture or collision problem during play.

Cons:
    1. Poxy story with cheesy voice acting.
    2. Short, short, short, especially compared to crysis 2 which was pretty long.
    3. Boss battles are too easy and obvious.
    4. AI is dumb.
    5. Multiplayer is fun and lag free however everyone is too good at it, making it hard for me as a noob to have any fun. There is a level up system that limits good weapons and sights to those that put in the time and make it had for those of us who have not. Hunter is fun a few times, but cowering in a corner for two minutes grows old quickly.
    6. Levels are large but mostly empty. You tend not to explore as there is no point and just march from way-point to waypoint. Heard it described as a baggy funnel which is spot on.
    7. Balance is off, you are way too powerful. Cloak + bow makes it very easy to stealth around and the fact you can pick up spent arrows means there is not even ammo control.
    8. Hack mechanic makes its too easy again.

It was fun and I enjoyed it, however after the hype I was expecting more. I always liked the nanosuit idea, but now you are never really in any danger so it take the tension out of it. Its stunning and really warms up your graphics cards. I hope some DLC comes along like warhead and opens up the world for PC users, this could be great with huge maps crammed with cell troopers and limited ammo. Hopefully the mod community will get to work.

Defo the benchmark for the future, not half as much fun as Farcry 3 (20 hours play for me and want to play it again) despite looking twice as good. Bring on Biochock infinity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I played the Demo/Beta and thought Meh !
    Is the game any better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,118 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What is the A.I like this time?
    Same as the second one?

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Interesting Crytek where interviewd about Crysis 3 and during the interview they also talked about the A.I in Crysis 2.

Basically if you played the game long enough, then if you died once or twice and replayed the same section over, the enemy A.I basically stopped working. They said they addressed it in a patch quite quickly on PC but it took much longer on consoles.

In an interview before they said they where rightly critised for shipping with such a bug an apologised for it.

Played through the game twice and on both occasions I noticed the A.I getting stuck in scenery twice, but in different area's otherwise I thought the A.I was fine to fight against. I was playing on the hardest difficulty level.

The claimed the A.I was improved in Crysis 3. I have seen mixed reports on the A.I in various reviews so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Probably a bit big to download, do Smyths or Tesco sell PC games anymore?

Tesco don't. Smyths did a while back but the selection was very small. Gamestop should be stocking this on PC though.

Had a quick look at this last night. Did the tutorial and part of the opening level.

Have to say it looks the bomb. Its got the the "wow" factor back unlike Crysis 2.

Running at Max settings with anti aliasing off at 1080p and the frame rate feels borderline playable. Probably will turn down 1 or 2 settings to a get frame rater consistently around 30fps.

Gameplay wise the opening level plays like Crysis 2, being fairly narrow. Nano suit feels more or less the same as 2. Same abilites etc. Guns outside of the bow are the same as 2, some of the canned enemy death animations are the same as 2 as well. I can understand where some reviewers are coming from they said the game feels like an expansion pack. Voice acting and story so far are fine.

Well play it through over the weekend. Report back when I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

first thing I needed to do was make an autoexec change the FOV and turn mouse accel off - game just felt awful for the first play - was enjoying the bow with a decent fov (didnt expect not to enjoy it!)

default field of view was 65 and thank god the PC version of the game allows adjustments

cl_fov 80
    pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov 80
    r_drawnearfov 80

http://www.gamefront.com/crysis-3-pc-developer-console-commands/

FOV is one of those things that thankfully doesn't effect me. I suprised there isn't an in game option to change the fov though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Has a look at this earlier, very impressive graphically, although just on the default high (not very high) settings with FXAA I was only seeing about 35-40 FPS with a HD 7850 indoors :eek:

The controls/guns etc all seem fantastic as well, TBH I'm not all that excited about the actual game itself (I haven't played much of it to judge it yet but am not expecting great things), but it is an engine I hope we will see alot more of over the coming years.

I personally think the core gameplay in the Crysis series is better than most other shooters on the market, at least when it comes to the single player campaign.

I take the gameplay over the Half Life series or Bioshock for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I preordered Crysis 3 for xbox 360 in January from Gamestop and got it today.
    They didn't send me any code to download Crysis 1 as advertised.
    I emailed them and no reply, rang them and they won't pick up the phone.
    I'm furious.
    Gamestop are a disgrace.
    I had the same kind of crap happen when I bought Rage before.
    I got none of the download codes included and had to email them to get them.
    Difference is they replied back then.
    They won't reply now and it's impossible to get through to them.
    It's the last time I preorder anything with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Looks pretty, but takes a toll. I only just got to play it 40 mins ago after having to download a 1.6 GB update at 50 kbps (I have a pretty stable 8mb connection). My i5-2500k @ 4.6 GHz and 2X HD65950 OC'd & unlocked can't handle it above low setting @ 2560x1440. I had too turn the resolution down to 1080p with no AA in order to play it at High settings.

I have an I5 3570K at stock speed (3.4Hhz)
    Gerforce GTX 680
    8GB PC3-10700 (800Mhz)

Running everything at very high on 1080p. 1x SMAA Anti Aliasing, V-Sync off.

Averaging between 35-40fps, but there are dips to the mid 20's on occasions.

Normally I dislike turning v-sync off but screen tear isn't really noticeable at all, so its worth it for the 4-5 extra frames it gives me on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭briany

Azza wrote: »
    I personally think the core gameplay in the Crysis series is better than most other shooters on the market, at least when it comes to the single player campaign.

I take the gameplay over the Half Life series or Bioshock for instance.

Bioshock maybe but I have to disagree on HL. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece of a first person shooter. HL2, STALKER and Far Cry 1 complete the holy trinity of PC shooters from the last decade, in my opinion.

Crysis appears to be getting more populist by the installment, making it more linear and less about outwitting your foes. Eventually it'll just be COD with a future suit. Still looks like an entertaining game and all, just sad to see the elements that made the first one so engaging be reduced.

Same thing happened to my beloved Splinter Cell. It got popular and populized thereafter. :(

briany wrote:
    Bioshock maybe but I have to disagree on HL. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece of a first person shooter. HL2, STALKER and Far Cry 1 complete the holy trinity of PC shooters from the last decade, in my opinion.

Loved those 3 games myself but I going to disagree with you. Not disputing that HL 2 is a masterpiece. Its settings and the story the setting alone tells is excellent and which hooks you in, leaving you wanting to know more, characters that are well ahead of the video game average. It being well paced. For its time it had excellent physics and graphics and the facial animation was amazing.

But the gameplay, the fps mechanics are inferior to Crysis's fps mechanics. Its not terrible by any means but look at what you do during it. Progress down narrow corridors (Half Life 2 never gets people criticized for being linear), enemies appear, you kill them and you kill them before you move on from more or less the spot you first saw them from. There is very little flanking or approaching from other angles.

The Combines troops and the zombies aren't particularly interesting enemy to fight, their A.I being unremarkable, it doesn't bug out or do anything particularly wrong either, but nothing much is being asked of it. It doesn't really have to react from the player approaching from multipal angles or have to navigate complex and cluttered environments. Some enemies are better like the fast zombie and the Striders, but overall I prefer fighting enemies in Crysis, the game offers more tactical freedom due to the larger environments, wider abundance of cover, the nano suit abilities and imo better weapons.
    briany wrote:
    Crysis appears to be getting more populist by the installment, making it more linear and less about outwitting your foes. Eventually it'll just be COD with a future suit. Still looks like an entertaining game and all, just sad to see the elements that made the first one so engaging be reduced.

To me this seems like the populist thing to say. Crysis 2 for sure lost a considerable amount of the tactical freedom with the smaller maps, which was almost certainly to do with the hardware restraints of current gen consoles. Yes it had quite a lot of corridors sections but there was several combat engagements that occurred in open environments. I'd consider it quite close to Far Cry 1 in terms of openness and considerable more open than the COD or Half Life games.

Crysis 3 reverted the trend of making the game more linear, and went for a half way house between 1 and 2, which by itself refutes your statement. As does the fact the Alien A.I. in Crysis 2 was improved over Crysis 1 by a considerable margin.

Can't comment on Splinter Cell, haven't played any of them much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭briany

But the gameplay, the fps mechanics are inferior to Crysis's fps mechanics. Its not terrible by any means but look at what you do during it. Progress down narrow corridors (Half Life 2 never gets people criticized for being linear), enemies appear, you kill them and you kill them before you move on from more or less the spot you first saw them from. There is very little flanking or approaching from other angles.

The Combines troops and the zombies aren't particularly interesting enemy to fight, their A.I being unremarkable, it doesn't bug out or do anything particularly wrong either, but nothing much is being asked of it. It doesn't really have to react from the player approaching from multipal angles or have to navigate complex and cluttered environments. Some enemies are better like the fast zombie and the Striders, but overall I prefer fighting enemies in Crysis, the game offers more tactical freedom due to the larger environments, wider abundance of cover, the nano suit abilities and imo better weapons.

I agree on the tactical freedom of Crysis. It was a great thing. I can't say that I ever noticed the Crysis AI to be particularly formidable at any point though. The core fighting of Crysis is better but the reason why I like HL2 that bit more is because it's just a more varied game in my opinion. Combine soldiers, Striders, Gunships, Manhacks, Zombies, Headcrabs and Antlions all require a change up in approach to your fighting. You're constantly feeling a sense of progression as your environment changes from city to canal to highway to prison and there's rudimentary puzzle solving thrown in there as well. I just enjoy the tone of the whole game a little bit more I suppose. As great as Crysis is, it's a preferential thing.
    To me this seems like the populist thing to say. Crysis 2 for sure lost a considerable amount of the tactical freedom with the smaller maps, which was almost certainly to do with the hardware restraints of current gen consoles. Yes it had quite a lot of corridors sections but there was several combat engagements that occurred in open environments. I'd consider it quite close to Far Cry 1 in terms of openness and considerable more open than the COD or Half Life games.

This is as much of worry as anything else seeing the way Crysis 2 went. That game was a lot of fun but a sidestep more than a progression for the series IMO. Far Cry was a fantastically open game in it's first half, much more similar to Crysis. I think comparisons between Far Cry and Crysis 2 become stronger in Far Cry's latter half where the game gets a little more closed in.

I suppose I'm hoping that by saying out loud that Crysis will become like COD, maybe it won't happen then :o. Maybe it's possible that with the next gen, the series will be allowed to open up again. Two games set in the same city is quite enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Just picked it up there. Hopefully the single player is decent, will need a bit of practice before I can play the multiplayer. Arma has made my reaction speed too slow ha

Well finished the single player. Its the shortest of the 3 games and abit on the easy side. But overall its quite a good game.

Gameplay is more open than 2, but there is still a few corridor sections. Weapons are good, even if a lot of them already appeared in 2. There is more customization to go with them. The suit upgrade system of finding upgrades is better than the method of collecting the nano catalyst from dead enemies in 2, as it doesn't force you into dangerous. The base suit is similar to 2 but there is a few more upgrades as well. Running doesn't drain meter unless your using armor or cloak mode.

A.I is fine. Doesn't bug out like in 2. Although I did notice 1 or 2 path finding issues, it was fine for the most part. Think the enemies need to be able to kill you slightly quicker. Its not terrible easy, but the game could do with a patch that ups the difficulty a little.

Graphically its probably not quite as impressive as Crysis 1 was at the time but its very good visually. Ran well, with no crashes. Did get microstutter on one level that a restart cured but I'm not sure weather its the game or just an issue with my machine. Seen the same issue in other games. Far less graphically bugs than 2 as well. A few very minor graphics blemishes but overall its a great looking game.

Audio is good too.

I seen the story getting slated in a few reviews. I thought it was alright. Nothing amazing or memorable but its hardly terrible. Did answer 1 or 2 question left over from the first 2 games. Voice acting is fine. Dialogue is okay, with one or two cheesy lines getting in there.

Overall I rate it as a improvement over 2.

Anyone having issues launching the game? I click play in Origin & it looks to be launching then nothing happens. PC is a beast so its not that. Have sent a tweet to both origin & crysis. Hopefully they get back to me, haven't seen anything online about it :(

Sorry no idea what it could be. Have you the latest graphics drivers for your GPU?

Anything running the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Just completed it there. Great game imo, didn't overstay it's welcome and was able to complete it over the weekend.
    Much better than Crysis 2 but still enjoyed Crysis 1 more. Stunning graphics, had to go medium-high settings with HD5850 gpu 2500k cpu. Pity next gen consoles won't even be able to run it on very high!

KilOit wrote:
    Just completed it there. Great game imo, didn't overstay it's welcome and was able to complete it over the weekend.
    Much better than Crysis 2 but still enjoyed Crysis 1 more. Stunning graphics, had to go medium-high settings with HD5850 gpu 2500k cpu. Pity next gen consoles won't even be able to run it on very high!

Agree with what you say. I still thought Crysis 2 was a decent game though.

I'd say the PS4 could get close to running it at max.

Been playing multiplayer for a few hours. Its pretty decent but I doubt it will be a big hit online.

• Advertisement

Sorry no idea what it could be. Have you the latest graphics drivers for your GPU?

Anything running the background?

Yeah latest drivers installed. Have tried killing all other programs. Was on to Origin support which took 2 hours to connect to, once I got talking to someone the chat session ended.

What I have done however is download a cracked .exe & the game runs fine. DRM like this is ridiculous. Hopefully there will be a fix for origin when I want to play multiplayer

Advertisement