Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

You can probably play online fine with the cracked exe, as long as the code is legit there is usually no problem.

Once they patch the game you probably won't be able to. Hopefully a patch fixes your issue.

Have you tried Origin in offline mode. You might be able to play single player that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

It doesn't seem to handle dips in FSP that well. It's like the internal speed of the game drops with FPS. It feels like you are lunging forward when your FPS increase.

Also no AA setting seems to really work properly, but does hit performance. At what point did we get all of these AA methods (SMAA, TXAA, FXAA, MSAA) but they never really fecking work like the good old days (AAx2, AAx4, AAx8).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Did you try turning Vsync off? I was getting the same FPS slowdown and speedups entering rooms until I disabled it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Did you try turning Vsync off? I was getting the same FPS slowdown and speedups entering rooms until I disabled it.

Anybody who is getting less that 60FPS should have VSync off. The reason being is that @60Hz your GPU has a 16.6 ms window in which to produce a frame.

Say it barely misses its window taking 17ms to produce a frame, after 16.6ms the monitor will refresh showing the old frame again, and the new frame which actually was completed after 17ms will not get displayed until the next refresh window a full 33.3ms after it was started.

This is what causes the wildly inconsistent framerate with Vsync on, and why it locks on seemingly strange fps numbers like 30/45.

V-Sync does incure a performance hit but its consistent and doesn't fluctuate.
    Frames rates of 30/45 are not stranger than any other number, its all dependent on your hardware.

What v-sync does is cause input lag. Which depending on the game can be quite noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Azza wrote: »
    V-Sync does incure a performance hit but its consistent and doesn't fluctuate.
    Frames rates of 30/45 are not stranger than any other number, its all dependent on your hardware.

What v-sync does is cause input lag. Which depending on the game can be quite noticeable.

I agree about the input lag, I could have phrased it better but what I was talking about is the flips between those fixed 60/45/30 numbers which can occur as you are playing depending on what is happening onscreen.

With Vsync and tripple buffering you typically get 60FPS if the GPU can actually render > 60 frames, 45FPS if the GPU can physically render > 45-59 frames, and 30FPS if the GPU can physically render > 30-44 frames. So as the GPU load goes up and down it can and does lock on different framerates.

Gotcha.

It was almost making me ill on Friday night until I turned it off (and increased the FOV) as I was right in that 40-50 fps zone :)

Yeah I was getting close to 60 frame most of the time. Only at the start in the rainey area outside the dome did the frame rate struggle. There was a few dips but nothing as severe as the opening level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭klose

Never played crysis 1 or 2 but picked this up today, excellent game! Hooked already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The closeups of Psycho's face like when you're
    in the big field with the giant rocket tower in the 2nd level
    look so ****ing glorious.

I was making silly excited squeeing noises at times.

I think the game might have benefited from one or two little parts where you could really just sit back and take it all in.

Like in 1 when you crawl out of the alien base and there's this magical breathtaking wonderland awaiting you.

Jesus christ. Is it just my internet or is the downloading of updates slow as balls?

I'm getting 50k.

It's taking an hour for a 200mb file.

Slightly annoying having this on top of the 1.2GB file I had to get as soon as I installed it. Wouldn't mind if the speed wasn't as pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's a lot shorter than the others but I found the combat to be a lot more satisfying than Crysis 2, even if you are way overpowered.

Once you get that bow everyone is fùcked...........but you do feel like a version of Predator & Rambo mixed together, though :D

Vehicles are useless and might as well not exist, you have the opportunity to drive a buggy twice and the second time is undriveable because of all of the debris on the ground.

Graphically, it's better than Crysis 2 and does have some great moments. They got to show off what this engine is capable of with some great looking textures and animations.

I thought the bit where you were in the orange generator room looked fantastic, reminded me of Alien 3 for some reason :pac:

I enjoyed it and got the horrible taste of Aliens: Colonial Marines out of my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

the 3 games I have been looking forward to seem all to disappoint - aliens - too many flaws, dead space 3 not as good as what has gone before and now a very short single player campaign and a so so multiplayer. Dam I wanted so much to give my money to these people :(
    Is there any hope that patches and/or some free dlc will sort these 3 games out?

omerin wrote: »
    the 3 games I have been looking forward to seem all to disappoint - aliens - too many flaws, dead space 3 not as good as what has gone before and now a very short single player campaign and a so so multiplayer. Dam I wanted so much to give my money to these people :(
    Is there any hope that patches and/or some free dlc will sort these 3 games out?

It's not worth the €50 sort of price range but if you have a rummage around you might find a decent bargain.

I pre-ordered the Hunter Edition for about €30 from Amazon. In that context, although I haven't finished it, it's fairly good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

The graphics are phenomenal! Other than that, I have to say i was fairly disappointed with it overall. The change back to more open spaces seems wasted as they are mostly empty. I know many people gave out about the set pieces in the second game but their exclusion in this edition made kind of boring in my opinion. It just seems that a lot less happened overall in this one when compared to the others.

And the story was terrible. I'm not going to spoil it, but seriously, the story is hammy even by fps standards!

Cavet Yerli was interview about the relatively poor critical performance of Crysis 3.

He said it was to be expected.

A combination of franchise fatigue and peoples expectations not being meet because developers are unable to deliver new gaming concepts because of current hardware limitations. He says that may change with the new consoles.

He also pointed out the PC version was limited because of console limitations, but developing PC exclusive titles is simply not viable.

He also said Crysis 3 budget is 3 times that of the orginal. Which puts it around the €45 million mark.

I noticed a few reviews saying it was actually a better game than 2 yet marked it lower than they marked Crysis 2.

Cavet Yerli was interview about the relatively poor critical performance of Crysis 3.

He said it was to be expected.

A combination of franchise fatigue and peoples expectations not being meet because developers are unable to deliver new gaming concepts because of current hardware limitations. He says that may change with the new consoles.

He also pointed out the PC version was limited because of console limitations, but developing PC exclusive titles is simply not viable.

He also said Crysis 3 budget is 3 times that of the orginal. Which puts it around the €45 million mark.

I noticed a few reviews saying it was actually a better game than 2 yet marked it lower than they marked Crysis 2.

It really is rather good.

Stuck at the end now - quite difficult. Far more so than the rest of the game.

You been using the Red Ceph Generators, if you press F on them you can use them up and make yourself invincible for a while.

You been using the Red Ceph Generators, if you press F on them you can use them up and make yourself invincible for a while.

I go up to them and nothing happens. It doens't give me the option to use them. It hasn't at any part in the game.

The only way I can get supercharged is from the "Mind Carriers".

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought that at first, but I was able to use them in the final boss area.

Maybe its just in that boss fight. I'm not sure if they can be used before. Have you tried all sides of the them?

Yeah I thought that at first, but I was able to use them in the final boss area.

Maybe its just in that boss fight. I'm not sure if they can be used before. Have you tried all sides of the them?

I think so.

Mostly I've died with the sort of drill attack.

I'll give it a go later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Ok so i FINALLY have some sort of conclusion to why the game wouldn't play. (I described a few posts back what was happening) Since the game updated on Tuesday the crack I had for it no longer worked. So I decided to give the EA tech support another crack yesterday. Finally got a helpful(ish) guy. He told me there was an issue with my game activation when I purchased it. I thought that was strange because the money had been taken off my CC. He told me he couldnt not do much more for me so he gave me a number to ring.

I got a reply during the night on my reddit post about it:
    "I did. Called EA tech support, check your origin account for your recent order info. If you don't see the transaction for Crysis3 or it says "pending" there's your issue. Apparently AE ran out of CD Keys and sold a ton of these games with no registered keys.
    Call EA. there is no other way to fix this. They will cancel your order, apologies, tell you to wait 3 days for your refund and tell you to go ahead and order it again.
    I ordered it through amazon the 2nd time. No sales tax, but you just get a key from them. You then need to download it through origin anyways."

After I got this I checked my Origin account & sure enough there was no CD-Key attached to the game. So after an hour on hold I got through to a guy that tried to fix the problem, but he couldn't. Said he had never seen an issue like that before. He issued me a refund & apologized.

Might buy the game when it gets cheaper. It's a sad day, its easier to pirate a game than buy it legitimately :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

So second playthrough on hardest difficulty, much more challenging. Graphics still very impressive. Playing at 2560x1600 on very high everything and its a joy. If you actually dont use the bow its near impossible. Story sucks balls badly.

So second playthrough on hardest difficulty, much more challenging. Graphics still very impressive. Playing at 2560x1600 on very high everything and its a joy. If you actually dont use the bow its near impossible. Story sucks balls badly.

This is you:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgIJYCL5M6YopnVdLDuejlPS5NlVXacrUcegYOCC1E3VBbNU5Q0w

What does it take to run the game at that res?

Just finished it - played 1 and 2 so I said I'd launch right into hardest difficulty.
    If that was maybe the 4th of 5 difficulties, it would've been hard enough. Nice if they patched it to make it harder at some point.

I suppose the real problem is that the AI is a bit ****. You usually don't last long in a firefight so you spend a lot of time cloaked+bow. A patch can't fundamentally change what is just stupid bad guys who can't see you.

Something like sweeping areas in formation, shoulder to shoulder so you can't just run past them, to flush you out, rather than one by one running over to their fallen buddy who was shot in the face with an arrow.

There's some brilliant mechanics in the game and it, of course, looks magnificent, but the lads at Crytek just don't seem like they're good at making games in general. There's a lot of novelty in how the game plays but there's not much satisfaction in how you defeat most enemies.

Self imposed handicaps might make it a bit harder - no using the bow for example.

Most of the story didn't bother me. It was good enough to hang a game off.

Also, I've seen Crysis criticised for being a 6-hour game.

I did the campaign in 9.

Granted that was on the highest difficulty and I do tend to take my time, clearing out each area as I go through, but it didn't seem all that short to me.

Gbear wrote:
    I suppose the real problem is that the AI is a bit ****. You usually don't last long in a firefight so you spend a lot of time cloaked+bow. A patch can't fundamentally change what is just stupid bad guys who can't see you.

Its not that there stupid. Its that they can't see you. Its simple imbalance.

They do make reasonable good use of cover. When you cloak they actively search around the last area they spotted.

The problem is its just too easy to get around with the cloak and pick them off bit by bit. Its fun in a way as your not pinned down to one spot of cover, but they need to give the enemy a better way of detecting you. The throw EMP grenades but never cook them so there easy to avoid. They don't react to water ripples and vegetation movement caused by your movement when cloaked. Nor can they see your shadow (which oddly enough is still visible when your cloaked). In fairness A.I in other games don't this either its just your not invisible in other games. Hopefully they will patch it to give the A.I some help.

You can last long enough in a straight fight with armor mode plus the nano suit heavy armor and deflection modules that give you better endurance you will last a fair while in combat, particular if you stick to cover. Those modules can further upgraded to maximum status for better protection.

Some suggested balance changes I think could work.

Enemy Grenades should explodes quicker and EMP grenades should have a wider blast radus.
    Enemies call for back and move in groups of 3-4 to investigate a dead body that was killed by stealth.
    Cepth stalkers should be able to kill you quicker. Say 2 hits.
    Or simple more enemies in certain levels. Probably hard to do on consoles because their so taxed as it is.

Its not that there stupid. Its that they can't see you. Its simple imbalance.

They do make reasonable good use of cover. When you cloak they actively search around the last area they spotted.

The problem is its just too easy to get around with the cloak and pick them off bit by bit. Its fun in a way as your not pinned down to one spot of cover, but they need to give the enemy a better way of detecting you. The throw EMP grenades but never cook them so there easy to avoid. They don't react to water ripples and vegetation movement caused by your movement when cloaked. Nor can they see your shadow (which oddly enough is still visible when your cloaked). In fairness A.I in other games don't this either its just your not invisible in other games. Hopefully they will patch it to give the A.I some help.

You can last long enough in a straight fight with armor mode plus the nano suit heavy armor and deflection modules that give you better endurance you will last a fair while in combat, particular if you stick to cover. Those modules can further upgraded to maximum status for better protection.

Some suggested balance changes I think could work.

Enemy Grenades should explodes quicker and EMP grenades should have a wider blast radus.
    Enemies call for back and move in groups of 3-4 to investigate a dead body that was killed by stealth.
    Cepth stalkers should be able to kill you quicker. Say 2 hits.
    Or simple more enemies in certain levels. Probably hard to do on consoles because their so taxed as it is.

Yeah it's not that they're stupid per se, but you have such a leg up with the nanosuit that they need to be cleverer to be able to cope than in other games where the faceless minions of evil can mostly see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I have to say I'm enjoying it.
    It's not as challenging as the others were, but graphics are amazing.

I can see why a lot of people were disappointed with the story, but I think some expectations were off...
    The first 2 didn't have amazing stories, why would the 3rd?

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought it was no worse than the first 2 maybe even slightly better.

Still pretty poor overall, but I don't know why it should be called out over the likes of COD and Killzone.

Advertisement