Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flora Womens Mini Marathon 2013

Options
  • 20-02-2013 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Who else is doing this this year? I qualify as a fast jogger (don't laugh, I'm very proud of that :D ) and I'll be signing up for it later today. I've done it about 6 times now, I love the atmosphere but its not the place for a PB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I'm in as a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

Doing it for the first time this year. I may be in the walking category :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Lunalove

Hi! I'm doing it for the first time this year. Is there a way in which you can prove that you can be in the jogger category without having done the flora marathon before? Otherwise ..this is gonna sound stupid...can you jog even if you're in the walkers category?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

I wouldnt worry, last year I started in the joggers section and at mile 4 I was catching people walking, they seem to start whenever they feel like it! Its a shame people dont stick to the rules to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. Its a bit mad the first 2 miles TBH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Lunalove wrote: »
    Hi! I'm doing it for the first time this year. Is there a way in which you can prove that you can be in the jogger category without having done the flora marathon before? Otherwise ..this is gonna sound stupid...can you jog even if you're in the walkers category?

Yeah, if you have an official time from another race then send them an email with the result and the name of the race.
    I wouldn't worry if you cant produce proof, i have started this in the walking section before due to getting the start time wrong and within a few hundred metres I was free to run though i did have to run around some walkers. You will lose a minute or two at most.

AK333 wrote: »
    Who else is doing this this year? I qualify as a fast jogger (don't laugh, I'm very proud of that :D ) and I'll be signing up for it later today. I've done it about 6 times now, I love the atmosphere but its not the place for a PB.

I think it is if you can get up the front of the fast joggers/runners. Its a flatter course than most of the courses in the park for sure.
    Samsung would probably be better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

rasher_m wrote: »
    I think it is if you can get up the front of the fast joggers/runners. Its a flatter course than most of the courses in the park for sure.
    Samsung would probably be better though.

I think Samsung would be better but I'm no-where near Dublin unfortunately. I've been up at the fast joggers for a few years and I always encounter walkers in the first couple of kms - I'm not sure where they come from because you have to confirm you're a runner etc, by time, but they are always there. It doesn't bother me that much, I'm competitive against my own time, not really by the people around me.

I just hope its not too hot. Rain I can cope with but the heat kills me. Part of my training is including doing the 5k for Ray in Clonmel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hi.

My wife is running in the even tthis year, She filled in the application on-line and has a verification number etc...Problem is the site tells her to print off page and bring it along to RDS to get her race number, She cannot print it off for some reason...

My question, If she went to the RDS with just her nuber would they accept it.

Oh and I'm so proud of her.
    Thanks

not yet wrote: »
    Hi.

My wife is running in the even tthis year, She filled in the application on-line and has a verification number etc...Problem is the site tells her to print off page and bring it along to RDS to get her race number, She cannot print it off for some reason...

My question, If she went to the RDS with just her nuber would they accept it.

Oh and I'm so proud of her.
    Thanks

Is this a problem she has with printing it or a problem with the actual admin email? If its the email then get her to contact the admin. if its her printer then go an internet cafe or print off in work for her.

• Advertisement

Is this a problem she has with printing it or a problem with the actual admin email? If its the email then get her to contact the admin. if its her printer then go an internet cafe or print off in work for her.

She's working from a laptop at home with no printer, I tried to do it in work but the job has filters which stop me accessing her e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

First time entrant here. I hope to be a fast jogger but have no proof I can do it in the time so don't know where I will end up on the day. I don't mind if I am with the walkers, I'm sure it won't make a difference to how I do and it will give me a good enough time to do fast jogger next year.

not yet wrote: »

She's working from a laptop at home with no printer, I tried to do it in work but the job has filters which stop me accessing her e-mail.

You should just go to internet cafe. it'll cost her 1.50 at most to print it off. she will most likely have problems when she goes to rds if she doesnt show her print out.

You should just go to internet cafe. it'll cost her 1.50 at most to print it off. she will most likely have problems when she goes to rds if she doesnt show her print out.

Cheers....

eviltwin wrote: »
    First time entrant here. I hope to be a fast jogger but have no proof I can do it in the time so don't know where I will end up on the day. I don't mind if I am with the walkers, I'm sure it won't make a difference to how I do and it will give me a good enough time to do fast jogger next year.

Its the sheer numbers of people that hold you up - not your ability. You will enjoy it though, everyone is in good spirits. Is there a 10k you can do in the next few weeks to get a qualifying time - if you're in Dublin or near there you should be able to find something. Good luck anyway, it really is the taking part that matters. Its the biggest women only 10k event in the world (so I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

In a moment of madness I have signed up for this! I am doing the c25k programme and hope to be up to the 10k come June...but it is looking very tight timewise. I am already nervous about it, maybe I am being too ambitious! Any helpful tips about training?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its the sheer numbers of people that hold you up - not your ability. You will enjoy it though, everyone is in good spirits. Is there a 10k you can do in the next few weeks to get a qualifying time - if you're in Dublin or near there you should be able to find something. Good luck anyway, it really is the taking part that matters. Its the biggest women only 10k event in the world (so I believe)

I have a few 5ks in the pipeline but will make a point of doing a 10k to get myself bumped up.

I just noticed on my email they have me classed as a Walker so I hope I can get it changed.

In a moment of madness I have signed up for this! I am doing the c25k programme and hope to be up to the 10k come June...but it is looking very tight timewise. I am already nervous about it, maybe I am being too ambitious! Any helpful tips about training?

C25K programme is a good place to start but its also beneficial to run/jog with others. Is there a Meet and Train group near you? Or a Fit for Life group? I train on a monday in Clonmel and I really enjoy it. Train is a very loose word, I jog along, as fast as I can, behind everyone else in my group but theres no pressure, no hassle, just good craic. Once you've done C25K there's another one for a 10k, just google it or someone might mention it here or provide a link, and keep going. 2 good tips would be to hydrate all day, every day which saves you just trying to bulk drink loads before a race and then racing to the loo - if you drink water all day every day your body is well hydrated and also stretch after each run - good luck, don't panic and enjoy

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have a few 5ks in the pipeline but will make a point of doing a 10k to get myself bumped up.

I just noticed on my email they have me classed as a Walker so I hope I can get it changed.

You can amend your details (like spelling of names, etc), as far as I know, which is why they give you a login and password. I think that if you get a qualification time for a 10k in the meantime and email them the details, they will change your classification to a jogger/fast jogger. Obviously if its after the date the numbers have been sent to the collections points (Kilkenny is 19th May) then I wouldn't think it could be changed but if you contacted them directly they will be able to help you. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi GalwayGirl00, Im in Galway way too, I started running about 5 years ago by doing the C25K, similar timeframe to yourself. I did run most of it, had to stop and walk a couple of times, but I was really happy with my result. Have improved every year since, although I've not run in about 6 months, so just started back training this morning - loved it.

Got very excited when I signed up this morning. Its well and truly my favourite event of the year. I've done lots of other runs and races, and even though it can be quite congested, nothing else even compares to it in terms of atmosphere and pure positivity for me.

Im especially pleased to be in with the runners this year, snuck in just under 1 hour last year, so looking forward to shaving another bit off that. I never mind what my time is as long as it beats the previous years :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

There is no running club or anything where I live so I will be doing it on my own. I tried and failed a few times because I got bored but now that I have a goal in sight I hope it will keep me going, thanks for the tips...the water/ loo comment certainly rang a bell with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

What's a PB?!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

First time entrant here! I am looking forward to doing this In June! I go running everyday but I find myself always having to stop and walk for a bit and start again! I have selected slow jogger but I get the impression from this that it annoys people to see them walking for some of the route! Would this be a problem on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    First time entrant here! I am looking forward to doing this In June! I go running everyday but I find myself always having to stop and walk for a bit and start again! I have selected slow jogger but I get the impression from this that it annoys people to see them walking for some of the route! Would this be a problem on the day?

Not a problem. The great thing about the Mini-Marathon is that all abilities are welcome. The atmosphere on the day is great and you should enjoy it.

The problem is a small number of women who are in the faster categories who walk at the beginning where it is congested. There are even crowds of women holding hands blocking the road occasionally. If you want to run a fast time, it is very hard to get a good start. By 2k, the crowds have spread out and there is room for everyone.

Walk if you need to, but give way if someone is trying to get by.

The race atmosphere will spur you on, and you are likely to do a faster time that you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What's a PB?!

PB means Personal Best

What's a PB?!

a personal best time. I am only competitive against myself. My best time is not very fast and I only just made it into the fast jogger category, so I hope to improve it each time I race - I don't always make it but I do try.

With regard to walking, you go at your pace, stop when you have to, jog when you can and enjoy it. I agree with Huskerdo, its running etiquette and just plain good sense to move over and not block others coming behind you. But it is a very busy race and you'll find lots of people jogging and walking and all having fun, and the atmosphere is very special so have fun, I will be. :)

Just entered this tonight, had forgotten how cheap it is: 19 euro!! and you get a really decent goody bag etc.
    I love the atmosphere at this run though the crowds can be overwhelming at the start, it doesn't take long to get out there on your own and enjoy the course and cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Are entries closed for this? Someone told me today they got letter after registering saying it is full.

dechol wrote: »
    Are entries closed for this? Someone told me today they got letter after registering saying it is full.

No thats rubbish. It usually says on the website if its full and it wouldn't allow someone to register and pay and then tell them its full.
    I would register soon though, this race always closes early.
    It looks open at the moment now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

No thats rubbish. It usually says on the website if its full and it wouldn't allow someone to register and pay and then tell them its full.
    I would register soon though, this race always closes early.
    It looks open at the moment now.

I thought that but girl I spoke to tonight registered a week or so ago and herself and friends got letter then saying it was full. Money was refunded apparently. I entered last week so hoping all ok.

Advertisement