Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flora Womens Mini Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

dechol wrote: »
    I thought that but girl I spoke to tonight registered a week or so ago and herself and friends got letter then saying it was full. Money was refunded apparently. I entered last week so hoping all ok.

I'm surprised by that. I just tried to register and the website let me get into the first signing in page, which if it was full, I presume it wouldn't let me.

If you're in doubt as to whether you are entered or not, I would give them a ring next week to confirm, or log in and print off your confirmation letter.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

I signed up a the weekend and cant wait! Its my first marathon and im excited! But I dont know what charity to run for? Has anyone any suggestions?

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    I signed up a the weekend and cant wait! Its my first marathon and im excited! But I dont know what charity to run for? Has anyone any suggestions?

Good for you, its a great day and everyone enjoys it. If you are going to collect on behalf of a charity, and lots of people do, an idea might be to find something that means something to you or your family; or maybe you have a local charity that could need some assistance.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

A good one to run for is St Francis Hospice in Raheny who look after the dying or Juvenile Arthritis in the Crumlin hospital which doesn't get well funded since it isn't that common for kiddies to have Arthritis.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

I was thinking of the pieta house or a charity that helps people with suicide thoughts is there anyone else heard running for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Age Action

Congrats QueenBee1 for signing up. You won't regret it. There is an incredible sense of community and support on the day. Like some of the other posters I would not be worrying about the time you finish in -- the crowds for the first third of the course can make it difficult to get going. But just enjoy the music, the friendship and the sense that you are part of the largest run in Ireland.

On the charity issue, we are trying to recruit 100 walkers/runners this year. Bluebird Care have generously put up a €2,000 holiday voucher which will be raffled among everyone who raises €200 or more. We need the funds for our Care & Repair programme (sponsorship ends this year). It provided home visits and small DIY jobs to more than 20,000 older people last year, enabling them to remain living independently in their own homes. There are so many great charities out there, but please consider us when you are picking through them.

Regardless of whether you choose us, it does help if you are doing the run for a charity. When you see the sea of charity t-shirts on the starting line, you realise how vital this event is for some many charity organisations. Best of luck on the day -- and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Hi me and a friend are hoping to do the marathon this year first timers we will be walking what I wanted to know is how do you go about picking a charity and all that it entails?

Its just personal choice and then you contact them yourself. Not everyone runs on behalf of a charity, though most do.

I've run this about 7 times, started with friends whose charity was Crumlin Childrens Hospital, so we all ran for the hospital but nowadays I pick a charity for the year, and then run a few different races for that Charity.

I've run for Diabetes Ireland, Asthma Association, PAWS, Cystic Fibrosis and this year its South Tipperary Hospice.

In fairness, all voluntary organisations/charities do great work throughout the year for different communities - whichever one you pick will be most appreciative.

Hope you enjoy the day - it has a great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Great thanks a million. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Decided to enter to give myself a bit of training motivation, will be my first race in 9 months after an injury/laziness/travel-filled autumn, winter and "spring". 7th time doing it.

• Advertisement

Decided to enter to give myself a bit of training motivation, will be my first race in 9 months after an injury/laziness/travel-filled autumn, winter and "spring". 7th time doing it.

Great, the more the merrier. I think I've seen your posts on the Athletics/Running forum so I'm assuming you'll be doing a good time. Good luck and hope you are injury free

AK333 wrote: »
    Great, the more the merrier. I think I've seen your posts on the Athletics/Running forum so I'm assuming you'll be doing a good time. Good luck and hope you are injury free

Won't be anywhere near a PB! Aiming for around 55 mins most likely.

Had a little chuckle to myself when I saw 55 mins. I'll be about 10 mins behind you, and that will be a huge PB for me - I do better each year and I've put in loads of training this year, not just for this race but I have loads of races coming up at the mo, between 5k and 10k so I am aiming high.

Surprise yourself, go for the hour and get your runner number secured for next year :)

:D:D:D

I've gone from chuckling now to LMAO

I think trying to beat my last time by 14min 04 secs is a step to far for me, all the positive thinking in the world isn't gonna get me finished that quick, this time!

But, its a goal

(makes mental note to put the packet of biscuits down, get off the couch and do some extra miles )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I have a friend looking to walk this for charity but missed out on registration. If anyone has to pull out for injury or whatever please let me know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have a friend looking to walk this for charity but missed out on registration. If anyone has to pull out for injury or whatever please let me know. Thanks.

Do mods not read other forum charters?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055254160

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I do, I can't speak for all moderators, there's hundreds of us to be fair. I read all the stickies associated with this events forum and saw nothing that meant I shouldn't post the above. Having read the link you posted from the parent forum I'll go and check with the race organizers if transfers are permitted, if not, that's cool. As I said, it's for a friend (and family member) who never competed before. She wants to do something to support a charity that supported her mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I do, I can't speak for all moderators, there's hundreds of us to be fair. I read all the stickies associated with this events forum and saw nothing that meant I shouldn't post the above. Having read the link you posted from the parent forum I'll go and check with the race organizers if transfers are permitted, if not, that's cool. As I said, it's for a friend (and family member) who never competed before. She wants to do something to support a charity that supported her mum.

AFAIK there's no transfers at all allowed for the Mini Marathon.

If your friend wants to do a race for charity though, take a look at http://www.runireland.com/active/all-events - There's plenty of other 10k and 5k races coming up and the vast majority do allow walkers to enter.

Less than 2 weeks to go. I got my pack Sunday and it has loads in it. Hope everyone is injury free and looking forward to the craic - time has changed for this year to 2pm, I wish it was earlier but they are giving us time to get up from the Country. Good luck everyone and have fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi,
    This is my 4th year doing this but I now live in Waterford so I must bring stuff and i have nowhere to put my things during the marathon. I lived in Kildare two of the years and stayed in a hotel last year but this year I'm going home on the day.
    It says that you cannot wear a bumbag or a rucksack during the marathon (although annually I have seen people do both anyway) but i am just curious if there is any storage anywhere that you can pay for?
    I must bring a hoody and my phone, train tickets and money. It's going to be a very long day!!!

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is my 4th year doing this but I now live in Waterford so I must bring stuff and i have nowhere to put my things during the marathon. I lived in Kildare two of the years and stayed in a hotel last year but this year I'm going home on the day.
    It says that you cannot wear a bumbag or a rucksack during the marathon (although annually I have seen people do both anyway) but i am just curious if there is any storage anywhere that you can pay for?
    I must bring a hoody and my phone, train tickets and money. It's going to be a very long day!!!

There's a bag drop on Stephen's Green just past the finish area.

Must we pay? Is our stuff safe and supervised? Thanks for letting me know. This could come in very handy...litterally. LOL!

Must we pay? Is our stuff safe and supervised? Thanks for letting me know. This could come in very handy...litterally. LOL!

You don't have to pay and it's fully staffed. I'm sure if you check the website or your race pack it has info on it.

Hi,

Jeepers, I didn't know that! I've done this mini marathon about 6 times and the last time, 2011, I wore a rucksack with a few bits in it (I had a car at the end of the Luas) and it was a disaster - unless you've trained with it on it feels very uncomfortable - I'm coming from Tipperary this year, like you up and down in the same day but I'm driving, and I'll be using the bag drop in St Stephens Green. Good luck

Thank you all very much. I will look into it more and hopefully we will be sorted. I couldn't wear a rucksack and a hoody whilst jogging. Ugh! Take care. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Thank you all very much. I will look into it more and hopefully we will be sorted. I couldn't wear a rucksack and a hoody whilst jogging. Ugh! Take care. :)

That's great news about the bag drop! I'm driving down myself this year alone and would need to drop off a hoodie etc. though I think I will just take my car key with me to be safe. I am parking at Malahide and will get the DART in, what stop will I get off that's closest to bag drop?

Pearse or Tara St would be your best options.

Managed to aggravate my long term back injury playing tag rugby with workmates last week. There is a relatively high probability that this is going to be very slow and painful next Monday... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Best of luck to everyone on Monday. I hope you all enjoy the day. I'm really looking forward to it now. Just remember to lash on the sunscreen! I know it's Ireland and all but you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone on Monday. I hope you all enjoy the day. I'm really looking forward to it now. Just remember to lash on the sunscreen! I know it's Ireland and all but you never know!

Cheers!!!
    What pen are you all starting in?

Advertisement