Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flora Womens Mini Marathon 2013

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

Bit disappointed with my result yesterday too. I found a lot more runners than previous years and lots of negotiating between groups of runners which slowed me down. And the heat didn't help. My time was 1hr 7 mins, disimproved by 3 mins :(

I was also disappointed about the bottles of water not being handed out at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congratulations to all who ran yesterday, perfect conditions for volunteering but not really for running a race so it's not surprising that not everyone achieved their goals.
    I was on medal duty and I really enjoyed it, I'm hoarse from shouting "Congratulations" for over 2 hours. Have to say I found it a bit of an eye opener, the amount of bandit runners was crazy, and some of them were not at all happy being told they couldn't have a medal:( Some very scary men also, although one guy had REALLY high heels on and he had a pair of legs that would put most of us to shame:) He was very disappointed he couldn't have a medal but tottered off with a smile on his face anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Marthastew wrote: »
    Have to say I found it a bit of an eye opener, the amount of bandit runners was crazy, and some of them were not at all happy being told they couldn't have a medal:( /QUOTE]

What are bandit runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

AK333 wrote: »
    What are bandit runners?

Runners without an official race number.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

First timer, came in at 69mins. Absolutely delighted with it considering I didn't get the chance to do any training for it!

Was it just me or did the whole route seem to be constantly congested? I had read somewhere that you could expect it to disperse after the 2km mark but it was constant!! It was hard weaving in & out of the crowds especially in the heat..was it as congested up in the blue numbers?

Loved the atmosphere & already looking forward to my next road race! Ain't no stopping me now :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was it just me or did the whole route seem to be constantly congested?
    Entirely normal for this race if you're slower than around 55 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

Entirely normal for this race if you're slower than around 55 minutes.

I may get a move on then so if I ever wanna see that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

Big Logger wrote: »
    The server issue is Flora mm wanting you to go out and buy the Evening Herlad to look up 2013 results and also being too mean/lazy to put up a user friendly error message to inform users that the results are not up yet
    The results are available at that link now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Congratulations to all who ran yesterday, perfect conditions for volunteering but not really for running a race so it's not surprising that not everyone achieved their goals.
    I was on medal duty and I really enjoyed it, I'm hoarse from shouting "Congratulations" for over 2 hours. Have to say I found it a bit of an eye opener, the amount of bandit runners was crazy, and some of them were not at all happy being told they couldn't have a medal:( Some very scary men also, although one guy had REALLY high heels on and he had a pair of legs that would put most of us to shame:) He was very disappointed he couldn't have a medal but tottered off with a smile on his face anyway:)

Wish I'd seen you on medal duty! All the volunteers were so nice & encouraging, so thank you. I think I actually weaved about in a 'touch of sun' way after getting my medal, but I was OK after my drink of water. Really enjoyed it (in hindsight!) though the sun was a killer. It was my first year starting at the front, which was v exciting! I re-read your report about starting there recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I also wasn't too pleased with my time. I finished with a runner time from a blue number last year, but took 62 minutes from a white one this time! Then again, that was my own fault; I let some traumatic events this year get in the way of things, and my training fell away completely for over 2 months. I was mainly just coasting on the work I'd done last year. That said, I did keep running right through it, as I don't enjoy the interval spurts that many use to get there at all. And I did actually enjoy pushing myself to run again for that distance, despite the heat and the crowds, although I think I did do it slower than I might have just because I was actually using a nice empty space that happened just behind the crowd pushing for the hour!

However, I did particularly enjoy 1 moment that happened around a kilometer from the end. I was running in a fairly loose crowd as described, and there was a group of men in drag just near me who had taken their multi-coloured wigs off because of the heat. We were just running past a race steward, when he roared, "GET YOUR WIGS BACK ON THERE LADIES, PLEASE!" Had to let out a bit of a giggle then, right enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Wish I'd seen you on medal duty! All the volunteers were so nice & encouraging, so thank you. I think I actually weaved about in a 'touch of sun' way after getting my medal, but I was OK after my drink of water. Really enjoyed it (in hindsight!) though the sun was a killer. It was my first year starting at the front, which was v exciting! I re-read your report about starting there recently!

I thought I saw you as I was watching out for the club vests but you weren't coming my way and it was busy. I'm sure you had a super race, what's next for you?
    The Elite start is so much fun and it really is a great race, I was gutted to have to miss it but I'm actually feeling quite smug about making a sensible decision and not racing with a chest cold:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I thought I saw you as I was watching out for the club vests but you weren't coming my way and it was busy. I'm sure you had a super race, what's next for you?
    The Elite start is so much fun and it really is a great race, I was gutted to have to miss it but I'm actually feeling quite smug about making a sensible decision and not racing with a chest cold:)

You were very sensible! I seemed to have one chest infection after another this winter /spring, and only taking a break from races & going to bed at about 10pm for a week seemed to cure them.

I found it pretty tough in the sun, but JUST got a PB (44.19). I would have loved sub-44, but I don't think I would even have done the time I did had it not been for the support around the course, so thanks to all the marshalls and volunteers and spectators. I loved the elite start. I felt like a bit of a fraud being there, but it was so much fun to start near the front, and to be able to warm up beforehand, and to see the REAL elites! I told some of my sponsors that I'd try to be in the top 100 to make their sponsorship worth their while (I was running for a children's arts & health charity www.helium.ie ) and I was 78th in the end, so pretty happy with that!

Next for me is the Raheny summer series, and the Tulfarris 10 mile, and the race series. What about you? Hope you're fully recovered from London?

Advertisement