Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Cost for IKEA LED Strips

Options
  • 20-02-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

modern-kitchen-lighting-and-cabinet-lighting.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90192071/

Hi Folks,

I use the above in the kitchen as under counter lighting. I tend to leave them on at night as A- they cast a gentle light in the kitchen, enough for someone to easily see what they are doing if up and about in the middle of the night and B- they may give the appearance to any would be burglar that people are still up and about.

I'm curious as to what the running costs, say per hour would be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

They consume 1.8 watts , very little

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bigus wrote: »
    They consume 1.8 watts , very little

So I'd be quite alright continuing to leave them on at night, safe in the knowledge that I'm not adding very little to our overall monthly ESB bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

According to that link 1.8 Watts and the bulbs live 20,000 hours approximately.

If you left them on for their entire lifespan (about 830 days) it will cost you 6.12 at 17 cent per KW/H

Thats 6.12 in total for the 20,000 hours

hearny wrote: »
    According to that link 1.8 Watts and the bulbs live 20,000 hours approximately.

If you left them on for their entire lifespan (about 830 days) it will cost you 6.12 at 17 cent per KW/H

Thats 6.12 in total for the 20,000 hours

Is that €6.12?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Yes €6.12 sorry.

• Advertisement

hearny wrote: »
    Yes €6.12 sorry.

Wow- that is quite insane. My apologies if it were a very silly question, I'm afraid formulating even simple equations was never really my strong point.

Thanks very much for the answer, I sincerely appreciate it. I knew of course LED lighting was great value but I'm flabbergasted by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, they will take 556 hours (1,000/1.8) or 23 days to consume one unit of electricity. Taking the rate of 16.28c per kWh from my last bill, that means they will cost all of €2.57 per annum in electricity if you leave them permanently on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Could these just swap out for ordinary older style under press lighting?

By that I mean cut the electricity, remove old fitting, wire these in & power back up again?

OU812 wrote: »

By that I mean cut the electricity, remove old fitting, wire these in & power back up again?

Oddly for a modern house we had no under cabinet lighting so there is nothing as such to wire these into. Also they would runn on a low voltage as they have a transformer built into the design so wiring them into the existing electrical set-up in the kitchen isn't a plan.

Lastly my DIY skills are sadly very lacking. Much to my regret I'm not handy at all so these were a cheap and relatively effective solution to under cabinet lighting for someone like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

OU812 wrote: »

Was just about to ask that my under counter lights ...light the whole room lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Whats the light output like on these - does anyone have any pictures of these in action? Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

rochestown wrote: »
    Whats the light output like on these - does anyone have any pictures of these in action? Thanks...

Paddy147 is our resident photo expert in this field:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, they will take 556 hours (1,000/1.8) or 23 days to consume one unit of electricity. Taking the rate of 16.28c per kWh from my last bill, that means they will cost all of €2.57 per annum in electricity if you leave them permanently on.

I have one of these - nice lights - low light but nice - but it came with a transformer that is not on any of the pictures of it (12V 5W max) - and some visitors say they can hear it buzzing (I can just barely hear it) - so i dont use it anymore...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

That's very interesting that the transformer might buzz. I think that would annoy me!

Would anyone recommend a similar LED set, same design but a bit brighter and with no buzz sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

edanto wrote: »
    That's very interesting that the transformer might buzz. I think that would annoy me!

Would anyone recommend a similar LED set, same design but a bit brighter and with no buzz sound?

Hi Edanto - i bought 3 sets of these for my kitchen and couldn't be happier with them. I put them in three positions in my kitchen 6 strips in one area, 2 in another and 1 on its own - originally i had planned for 5, 3 and 1 but i did notice a buzz of the transformer when i had 5 on one unit as soon as i added the 6th it went away... work great now... go with them, you wont regret them for the price and quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

i have two of these yolks in my kitchen. Light output is low but it's a nice soft light. No noise from trafo on mine. great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have a 10M lenght of this

http://goo.gl/u0Ffn

this is a 5M one , you dont get the PSU, I have a number of 12V supplies around the place and used a 5 Amps solid unit that makes zero noise.

I use it to light above the presses, ie lighting between the ceiling and the top of the units , I still have T5 lamps under the counter as they are far better to work with, but this is decorative and has the colour changing properties.

With all the RBG LEDs on the resulting light is more or less white, but if you look directly on the strips you can see the different colours before they mix. there are other types that have a rubber coating on them that would be required for under the counter IMHO as steam can get in there.

I understand that they are inexpensive, but I am happy with the quality, the power supply i use is from a PC, its only 60 Watt but is more than enough for this and is good quality where you need it in this arrangement.

here is a plain white one IP65
    http://goo.gl/ayznq

Advertisement