Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BTEA - Question about applying

• 20-02-2013 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm unemployed and have been signing on for about 9 months now. I am finding it very difficult to find work (as is everyone else, I know!) and I feel especially at a disadvantage because I have no formal qualifications at all. I have been looking at a great course that looks perfect for my goals, the only thing is it costs €3450 for the year. I was advised (by a friend) that if I am still unemployed in 3 months time I will qualify for either BTEA or a student grant to help cover the course cost. Thing is, I was told that the SW won't even discuss BTEA or grants with me unless I have been formally accepted to the course but in order to be accepted, I must pay a deposit of €600! Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation, or any advice on student aid in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

That's not correct you can apply for BTEA without having be offered the course. They should be able to give you a decision based on the level of the course and the other relevant factors such as your age, length of time on claim, length of time since last formal education.
    You can't get both both BTEA and the grant. You can apply to have your fees paid if going for BTEA. From this year there is no cost of education allowance (book allowance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I have been unemployed for two years, I might of got a job for 11-22 hours a week max. I want to go back to college in September, would this jobs affect me getting the back to education in September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Assuming you are still claiming this work should not hinder your BTEA application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for getting back to me.yes I hope to be able to get the rest of the days from social welfare.the job is 1 to 2 days max so will hopefully be able to claim the 3 days on the jobseekers allowance.just wanted to make sure I can still get back to education in September along with my part time job

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    Assuming you are still claiming this work should not hinder your BTEA application.

Advertisement