Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or..?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

...is the post in Carlow really, stupidly slow? I live in Pollerton, and I get bills dated for the 1st on the 8th or 9th, and am weeks waiting on packages. WHY SO SLOW? Or is it just that Dublin (where I just moved from) has super lightning speed mail that takes 2-3 days at most to be deliverd?! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i dont find the post slow (im in Crossneen, outside Graigue) tbh. If I order something online I normally get it the day after its been dispatched (if ordered in ireland). I do notice that anything I get from the bank is usually a week late ... but I blame the bank for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, never noticed post being slow in carlow

generally even stuff from amazon comes 2-3 days after being shipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I found stuff like gas bills was very slow but was never able to pin it down to the post or bord gais delaying sending the bils out due to staffing cuts.

Generally post for Carlow takes about 48 hours even for local post! This is awful slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

...Is it because the post has to go through a sorting office in Portlaoise first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Post collected in Carlow goes to portlaoise for sorting and last collection is at 5pm for most places . I ve spoken to people who post in the late evening and are annoyed its not delivered the next day .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I was surprised myself. Just got one today that was sent on Friday! Had Portlaoise stamped all over it though. I take it then that Carlow doesn't have a sorting office?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not all An Post's fault. Maybe they take an extra day to deliver the mail but just because a bill is dated the 1st of the month, that doesn't mean that it was posted on the first of the month. It could have been with the company a few days before they posted it. That could account for some of the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's not all An Post's fault. Maybe they take an extra day to deliver the mail but just because a bill is dated the 1st of the month, that doesn't mean that it was posted on the first of the month. It could have been with the company a few days before they posted it. That could account for some of the delays.

I was in contact with the company who sent it to me and they said it was sent on Friday. The company told me to expect it Tues/Wed so I'd imagine it's a common enough thing. That being said, it's not really much of an issue to me whether its one working day or three - as long as I know how much of a delay there is!

An post advertise next day delivery to most places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Spiral2

I applied two weeks ago for a payment from the welfare and they said it was sent out last week. Still not here (Kilkenny Road).

Looks like An Post couldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

I was waiting for a letter from Dublin, was on the phone as the person literally put it in the post box on the Monday morning, didn't get it til Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

ShelTomato wrote: »
    I was waiting for a letter from Dublin, was on the phone as the person literally put it in the post box on the Monday morning, didn't get it til Saturday

Post on a Saturday ! :eek:.. where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

We only get post on Saturday the last two before Christmas.

Must have been the Friday then :confused:

Why is there no post on Saturdays anyways? Makes no sense not to... Least that explains why post is a bit slower here I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rubylady

Nightmare if you live in Granby Row, Terrace, Gardens etc. Lucky enough people are good enough to return to Post Office but can take a long time to reach the intended "target".

Got a letter yesterday (March 7th) dated from March 1st, from the SWO a 10 minute walk from our house haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Got a letter yesterday (March 7th) dated from March 1st, from the SWO a 10 minute walk from our house haha

You do realise that letters dont travel from where they are written to the address directly ??
    So the 10 min walk part is a bit disingenious.

The important part is the post date on the envelope, this ll tell you when it arrived in the sorting depot. 1 March was a friday so it may well not have been sorted until the following Monday.

Owryan wrote: »
    You do realise that letters dont travel from where they are written to the address directly ??
    So the 10 min walk part is a bit disingenious.

The important part is the post date on the envelope, this ll tell you when it arrived in the sorting depot. 1 March was a friday so it may well not have been sorted until the following Monday.

Tis true, as I said it just seemed like post was much speedier in Dublin.

Tis true, as I said it just seemed like post was much speedier in Dublin.
    Post in carlow is just awful! There is no next day delivery due to staffing problems and if your postman gets sick or goes on holidays you wont get any post at all.

anything I order from Ireland.. I get next day in carlow

stuff from england takes 2 days, well.. amazon and a couple of other websites

• Advertisement

anything I order from Ireland.. I get next day in carlow

stuff from england takes 2 days, well.. amazon and a couple of other websites
    All my bills especially and other post arrives several days past the next working day guarantee.

that's weird.
    carlow isn't that big a town that you'd expect there to be any sort of difference in post speeds

Advertisement