Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning connector speaker docks

Options
  • 20-02-2013 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Has any one got advice on which speaker dock would be good for the iPhone 5.

For the last couple of years I've used a cheapy dock from Tesco for my iPhone 4 - and yes I know I can get an adaptor, but my Tesco dock is dying and want to get something that I can put in the bedroom.

On the amazon.co.uk site there appeared to be a really good one for £90 - that one was the philips ds1155/12 but for some reason it is no longer available. There were a few people miffed that it was being sold with a 2 pin American plug, but to be honest that wouldn't have bothered me.

There is one on now - it is the JBL onbeat micro portable speaker dock for iPhone 5 for £60. 2 issues I have, firstly it has an attached note 'usually dispatched within 1-3 months and secondly who are JBL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Why not go for a bluetooth speaker? Compatible with all phones that support AD2P
    No need for docking or remotes either.

Have this

Sound is excellent and it's also rechargeable (lasts approx 5/6 hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Yes, I have thought of a bluetooth option before. But with my last one it was nice just to pop it in the dock by my bed and know that it is charged when I get up.

And yes I know I could just plug it in the wall but I'm being lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

same here..I prefer to plug mine into a dock overnight much handier,
    I know philips have released some docks that have the lightning dock...try amazon for them

Did do, but they took off the Philips one.

I really liked it and regret not just buying it when I had the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

i currently have this

if i buy a 30pin to lightning adapter will my iphone 5 work with it does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

i currently have this

if i buy a 30pin to lightning adapter will my iphone 5 work with it does anybody know?

It will work just not fully (assuming you buy the apple branded adapter). You'll definitely get audio, but might not get controls.

Lots of other people having same issue... google it?

Was that an official (expensive) connector or did you find a good quality 3rd party device?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Re adaptor

I bought a cheepy one from dx as advised to do so in another thread, about $4 I think, but it still hasn't arrived nearly 20days later.

Oh well - but just a bit more than a pint I suppose!

I have bought an official apple adapter from amazon (a couple of quid cheeper than apple site with no delivery costs) - so i should be able to see what both ones are like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Got 3 lightening cables from dx.com all not working and took very long time to come, ordered tablet from focal price 4 days after dx order and it arrived more than a week quicker even after customs stopped it.
    Also got lightening cable off focal price before christmas and its working fine.

I'm seeing a particular theme from people that have bought 3rd party connectors - more than likely they won't work - or won't last long
    - if your lucky they will charge
    - at best they'll sync

As for audio - they just haven't mastered it yet

Hey, I have no real problem paying for quality, but the official apple adaptors just appear to be too expensive for what they are.

But still they are the only ones that can make your speaker docks work properly so the phase supply and demand comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Just on the DX note. I've bought 3 lighening cables from them and they all charge, sync and even work with my cheapy car charger aswel. Just lucky I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Think so everything else i bought from dx works no problem and have bought a lot over the years, though these cables seem to be a couple of mm's too short

Duff wrote: »
    Just on the DX note. I've bought 3 lighening cables from them and they all charge, sync and even work with my cheapy car charger aswel. Just lucky I guess.

Have you tried them with an audio dock?

Ok, my adapter arrived from DX.

It doesn't charge
    It doesn't sync
    It doesn't work with any of my docks

Well that $4 could have been better spent on a pint.

When will I ever learn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

ads20101 wrote: »
    Re adaptor

I bought a cheepy one from dx as advised to do so in another thread, about $4 I think, but it still hasn't arrived nearly 20days later.

Oh well - but just a bit more than a pint I suppose!

I have bought an official apple adapter from amazon (a couple of quid cheeper than apple site with no delivery costs) - so i should be able to see what both ones are like.

Sorry to say but I highly doubt you bought a genuine apple connector on amazon. Anything I've seen there is exactly the same as dx.com sells with 4-5 times the price tag. I don't even think any shop can sell the original stuff (except for official retailers like phonehouse etc). Would like to see a link to the product. These product are often advertised as genuine or apple when they're not. The packaging is usually (slightly) different though. All the daily deal stuff is fake as well.
    Ordered loads of dx.com and hardly ever had a problem, if I did got a refund or replacment, just contact them.
    Best thing you can do on dx.com is read the reviews, if others say its no good then don't order it...
    Shipping takes between 2-5 weeks, big difference and just depends on luck I guess. Just got something from the US in 5 days (not dx) but it cost me $15 in shipping, rather wait and get it free...

flyguy wrote: »
    Sorry to say but I highly doubt you bought a genuine apple connector on amazon. Anything I've seen there is exactly the same as dx.com sells with 4-5 times the price tag. I don't even think any shop can sell the original stuff (except for official retailers like phonehouse etc). Would like to see a link to the product. These product are often advertised as genuine or apple when they're not. The packaging is usually (slightly) different though. All the daily deal stuff is fake as well.
    Ordered loads of dx.com and hardly ever had a problem, if I did got a refund or replacment, just contact them.
    Best thing you can do on dx.com is read the reviews, if others say its no good then don't order it...
    Shipping takes between 2-5 weeks, big difference and just depends on luck I guess. Just got something from the US in 5 days (not dx) but it cost me $15 in shipping, rather wait and get it free...

Fair point!

I agree that I was dubious that the item listed on amazon is the real deal, but it did specify that it was apple - that it did work with audio.

But it was really that it was sold by amazon and not by one of their 3rd party suppliers.

As for apple only able to sell apple - well even Argos are stating that they sell official connectors, although they appear to be even more expensive than apple.

I will of course make a complaint to DX, and I expect that they will deal with it efficiently.

I will know if it's the real McCoy soon.

I have an email to state that it's in the post from yesterday at 20:11 (along with an official Sony ps3 controller - yippy!!)

I promise to post if the amazon distributed one fully works or not.

And for it to work it will need to work on my audio docks. If it doesn't there will be a lovely complaint letter flying their way.

flyguy wrote: »
    Sorry to say but I highly doubt you bought a genuine apple connector on amazon.

I promise to post if the amazon distributed one fully works or not.

Yes!!!

Came by post.

Genuine apple product and more importantly
    • It charges
    • It syncs
    • It plays audio through both of my audio docks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

• It plays audio through both of my audio docks

Do the controls on the dock work?

TBi wrote: »

I've only used the volumes on the docks but yes both of them work.

On the dock I have in the living room that is connected to a hifi, that has track changing controls. I will test that when I get home & I'll let you know

TBi wrote: »

Yes, just checked. The skip buttons (forward & back) work as well.

Advertisement