Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers Lisence Query

Options
  • 20-02-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, only have a learners permit so cant get licence transferred over but I heard if your 25 you can just apply for the full test? is that true? without having to get the learners permit first? Im turning 25 next week so might look into it if that's true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Never heard about the being over 25 thing tbh, afaik it doesn't matter what age you are you'll just have to start from scratch. In WA anyway. If your still in Ireland I would strongly advise you to take a test if you could and try and get your full that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

rightyabe wrote: »
    Never heard about the being over 25 thing tbh, afaik it doesn't matter what age you are you'll just have to start from scratch. In WA anyway. If your still in Ireland I would strongly advise you to take a test if you could and try and get your full that way.

Im in perth now! car got robbed back home so never decided to renew it and get a full one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Nope im afraid you're in the wrong state. You must start from scratch in WA. There is massive variation from state to state and the over 25 year old age rule applies to NSW and VIC(have to hold L-plates for 3 months but are exempt from the 120hours) and to a lesser extent in QLD. In QLD you have to hold your L-plates for 1 year but are exempt from the 100hours logbook requirement. If youre over 25 you can jump straight to Green 2P's once you pass the driving test, again theres variations in the different states.

It was my biggest regret not completing my drivers licence before coming over here. I stayed in Queensland for 7months and it was a real pain in the ass. They wouldnt back date my irish licence to the queensland licence meaning i had to start from the very beginning! 1 year learners permit whereas if i was in NSW i could sit my licence test straight away being over 25 !! very frustrating. I moved to VIC, tansfered my licence to a VIC one and was able to sit my driving test straight away having held the QLD for over 3 months. Sat the test on Monday and got my P2's :)

If your reading this and thinking of coming over to Oz get your licence before you come over! You may be limited to jobs you can apply for as a car is required / essential

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

dave 27 wrote: »
    Im in perth now! car got robbed back home so never decided to renew it and get a full one!

Didnt know cars were that scarce backin Ireland:D,surely a driving instructor could of lent his car to ya for the test..

What you can do if you really need the licence is either fly home (too much time and money) or travel to NSW.

Either stay in a hostel or if you have friends in NSW thats even better. Have your address on your bank statement changed to the hostels address or the friends and get it printed out in the bank. You need this as proof of residence in the state. Then travel to a test centre with everything that is required and apply for your learners licence / driving test straight away. Then its simply a case of waiting around for the test date. Hiring a car from a drivers school for the test should cost in the region of $150.

The total cost for me was

$139 for a learners licence in QLDS
    $15.90 - Hazard Perception test
    $38.60 for a licence test in VIC
    $200- 1hour lesson before test + using driving school car for the test
    $50 for the P2 licence
    6x $50 -lessons in an automatic card. I couldnt drive coming over here and passed the test with 6 lessons

When i was transfering my irish Learners licence over to a QLD one i was given Green Plates (P2) but was then called two days later saying they made a mistake and cancelled the licence instantly. Initially i was thrilled then heart broken. I know of other Irish people who were given full licences when they went to transfer their Irish Learners over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I transferred my license over today in NSW. I have had my full license for over 10 years. It took approximately 30 minutes to complete. Just needed my passport, driving license, bank statement and medicare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Nope im afraid you're in the wrong state. You must start from scratch in WA. There is massive variation from state to state and the over 25 year old age rule applies to NSW and VIC(have to hold L-plates for 3 months but are exempt from the 120hours) and to a lesser extent in QLD. In QLD you have to hold your L-plates for 1 year but are exempt from the 100hours logbook requirement. If youre over 25 you can jump straight to Green 2P's once you pass the driving test, again theres variations in the different states.

It was my biggest regret not completing my drivers licence before coming over here. I stayed in Queensland for 7months and it was a real pain in the ass. They wouldnt back date my irish licence to the queensland licence meaning i had to start from the very beginning! 1 year learners permit whereas if i was in NSW i could sit my licence test straight away being over 25 !! very frustrating. I moved to VIC, tansfered my licence to a VIC one and was able to sit my driving test straight away having held the QLD for over 3 months. Sat the test on Monday and got my P2's :)

If your reading this and thinking of coming over to Oz get your licence before you come over! You may be limited to jobs you can apply for as a car is required / essential

Hello, i need your help in assisting with my drivers license. I am a 25 year old irish male i have help 2 provisional licenses in ireland. What is the quickest way for me to get a driving license here in victoria? I can travel for the specific purpose of getting a license if needs be. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You pretty much start at the start, you can get a full license in ireland and transfer it to P plates
    but a provisional won't get you anything here, i'm afraid

<edit>
    actually here is the link:
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/OverseasDriversLicences.htm
    Eligibility to qualify for a Victorian licence
    Victorian full driver licence
    To obtain a Victorian full driver licence you must:

* be 21 years of age or older; and
    * hold an overseas full driver licence; or
    * have held an overseas probationary driver licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday (you must provide evidence).

In NSW they have a '3 year full license rule' is this not the case for VIC?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

hussey wrote: »
    You pretty much start at the start, you can get a full license in ireland and transfer it to P plates
    but a provisional won't get you anything here, i'm afraid

out of interest I rang both vic roads and the Tassie equivalent since posting. A lady named claire said i would be entitled to my P2 in Tassie and she said if they say im not at the counter tell them to ring claire "they will know who I am". I had to laugh at the that.

Vic roads said that as i have had 2 provisionals in Ireland it works out that i should be on my P2's here and seeming as though I am over 25 I should be entitled to a full drivers license. I have an appointment booked for 9th of April. Hopefully it works out, the person on the phone made a file for me on their database stating my case for a full license.

danotroy wrote: »
    out of interest I rang both vic roads and the Tassie equivalent since posting. A lady named claire said i would be entitled to my P2 in Tassie and she said if they say im not at the counter tell them to ring claire "they will know who I am". I had to laugh at the that.

Vic roads said that as i have had 2 provisionals in Ireland it works out that i should be on my P2's here and seeming as though I am over 25 I should be entitled to a full drivers license. I have an appointment booked for 9th of April. Hopefully it works out, the person on the phone made a file for me on their database stating my case for a full license.

Im afraid both are nonsense. I think the aussies get confused with the irish driving licencing system. As soon as they hear provisional they automatically think P's are the oz equivalent which they are not. I imagine thats the reason alot of irish people have managed to get P's and Full licences when they transfer their irish provisional licence over. Also another reason could be cultural, as soon as aussies turn 16/17/18 they start their licence process whereas in irish, especially in the city you can get away with not having a licence so when they see over 25 plus provisional they're baffled and automatically think P2 / full licence. It happened to me and a few people i know. I think mine was flagged when they saw the white paper rules which stated "must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver" and the fact that it said "learners licence" down the middle.

The right thing for them to do is start you off from scratch meaning you have to wait 3 months to sit your driving test which will give you a P2. However they may back date your Victorian licence to that of your irish licence meaning you can book the test immediately. The waiting times range from 1 - 3weeks. Or you could get lucky and they will issue you with a full licence / P2's

• Advertisement
Advertisement