Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a machine

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Has anyone ever booted a machine and heard the BIOS Speaker emit continuous beeps? Not a long string of beeeeeep, rather beep beep beep beep.

Ive been digging and it seems like it could be a memory problem. All the parts are new. Could it be that I just got a motherboard DOA?
    Tested the SSD, RAM, PSU, Reset the bios even though theres no config to reset?

Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Read the troubleshooting section of motherboard manual. I'm sure the is a list of beep sequences (number of beeps, short, long). This should shed some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paco451

The manual has nothing for this, ive checked it 3 times over. Im just starting to think the MB is fried :-(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Start from scratch, re-seat the CPU/Heatsink. Try turning on with just the CPU/Heatsink and video card installed, does it beep similarly? It could be a dead mobo, but it could also be a number of other issues, whats the mobo model number? Also make sure all the jumpers for f_panel USB, reset/pw switch etc are all installed correctly with correct polarity configurations where applicable,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Start from scratch, re-seat the CPU/Heatsink. Try turning on with just the CPU/Heatsink and video card installed, does it beep similarly? It could be a dead mobo, but it could also be a number of other issues, whats the mobo model number? Also make sure all the jumpers for f_panel USB, reset/pw switch etc are all installed correctly with correct polarity configurations where applicable,

Nick

What was my first response. resat all. Ran machine with just the heatsync etc, no RAM, no extra connections just basic. Checked all the pins were correct too. all looked fine. tested variations too and still get the POST Beep.

There isnt a graphics card installed as add on. its on board.

Its the gigabyte b75m-d3h

In fairness, it wasn't clear from your initial post you re-seated everything :) . Just to rule it out, are you sure the CPU you are using supports the integrated graphics processing? Not all of them do!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

list the parts you are trying to use with the motherboard.

CPU:

RAM make/model/capactity:

PSU wattage:

HDD Model:

try this link for a guide on beep codes for amibios8 which gigabyte use

count the beeps:

1 to 3 beeps = Reseat the memory, or replace with known good modules.
    6 to 7 beeps = indicates a faulty motherboard
    8 beeps = If the system video adapter is an add-in card, replace or reseat the
    video adapter. If the video adapter is an integrated part of the system
    board, the board may be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

paco451 wrote: »
    What was my first response. resat all. Ran machine with just the heatsync etc, no RAM, no extra connections just basic. Checked all the pins were correct too. all looked fine. tested variations too and still get the POST Beep.

There isnt a graphics card installed as add on. its on board.

The mainboard cannot boot up without RAM; As a matter of fact, most of the times the "beep codes" are actually reporting a memory or graphics issue (problems that prevent it from displaying a picture on the screen); Most modern motherboard will display an error code for any other technical malady.

Have a look here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

It's not exhaustive and perhaps a bit dated, but it could be a starting point.

Usually, getting POST beeps mean the motherboard is actually working correctly. I would investigate the RAM, trying with one module at a time if you have more than one; I would also try installing a discrete graphics card in the PCI-E slot and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The manual has nothing for this, ive checked it 3 times over.

Gigabyte is not very forthcoming with information re beep codes but I found this in their forum.

The POST beeps indicate the following:
    1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps: Power error

Torqay wrote: »
    Gigabyte is not very forthcoming with information re beep codes but I found this in their forum.

The POST beeps indicate the following:
    1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps: Power error
    I'm thinking the CPU may not support the integrated video, I know my Core i5 requires a dedicated video card..

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm thinking the CPU may not support the integrated video, I know my Core i5 requires a dedicated video card..

Nick

Thats probably what it is. The processor is core i5. I didnt think of trying an i3. although on the site the processor i ordered is listed as compatible?

Thanks for the help all,

ill post a solution if its not RMA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

From their site spec sheet for that board.
    Support for Intel® Core™ i7 processors/Intel® Core™ i5 processors/ Intel® Core™ i3 processors/Intel® Pentium® processors/Intel® Celeron® processors in the LGA1155 package
    L3 cache varies with CPU
    (Some Intel® Core™ processors require a graphic card, please refer "CPU support List" for more information.)

BloodBath wrote: »
    From their site spec sheet for that board.

i had checked the list and the cpu was marked down as A-OK :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It supports it yes but only with a dedicated video card.

I'm assuming the boards integrated grahphics is conflicting with the chips integrated graphics.

AH!!! Ok Ill get a spare graphics card and test that. Magic, Thanks!

Thats probably what it is. The processor is core i5. I didnt think of trying an i3. although on the site the processor i ordered is listed as compatible?

Thanks for the help all,

ill post a solution if its not RMA

Some Core i5 models do support the graphics though! Just to confuse us! What is the processor model number? The Intel Ark db will tell you if it supports graphics or not, if not don't panick, a cheapo PCIe ATI card will do the job instead, dedicated video is much better anyways

Nick

Waiting on a new MOBO. After testing everything and exploring every option im sure it was the MOBO. Ill see how this works out *Fingers Crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

(just saw this thread now) I see this issue a lot and 90% of the time, its a component on the MB that fails. Id say your issue will be fixed with new MB ( other 10% are processor issues )

Also, from working with certain Dell models, i core processors work perfectly okay with integrated graphics, well for defo the i3 and i5 do.
    Best of luck with the issus

djsim101 wrote: »
    (just saw this thread now) I see this issue a lot and 90% of the time, its a component on the MB that fails. Id say your issue will be fixed with new MB ( other 10% are processor issues )

Also, from working with certain Dell models, i core processors work perfectly okay with integrated graphics, well for defo the i3 and i5 do.
    Best of luck with the issus

It depends on the Core i* processor if it supports graphics or not, not all of them do. The Intel Ark is great for finding this info out, see here for e.g: is a CPU (the one I have!) and it requires a dedicated video card/no processor accelerated graphics.

Nick

so the new MOBO arrived finally. This one works perfectly too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement