Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Giro

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

Are these worth going to - I assume a time trial or a high mountain stage would be good value for the time spent but would a flat stage be something akin to a blink and you will miss them except for perhaps a sprint finish at the end

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/giro-ditalia-dublin-800425-Feb2013/

Great news all the same!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

catweazle wrote: »
    Are these worth going to - I assume a time trial or a high mountain stage would be good value for the time spent but would a flat stage be something akin to a blink and you will miss them except for perhaps a sprint finish at the end

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/giro-ditalia-dublin-800425-Feb2013/

Great news all the same!

This wont have the public interest like the tour did many moons ago, which is a shame I reckon its a better race.
    But looking forward to it.

and what "high" mountain only pimples in this country.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BennyMul wrote: »
    and what "high" mountain only pimples in this country.:D

No No - talking about bike races in general. Surely if they are in one bunch its over in a flash, at least with the high mountain stages in Europe. The day could be stretched out with the pack being split up.

Laziness here and no research done but you would have thought if we were getting the first few stages they would have a prologue/team time trial here. Are they doing that in Italy - then coming here - and then heading back again :confused:

Sorry CW,

I would expect 2\3 stages, as you said there will be a prolog (possible in Belfast and another stage finish in Phoenix Park) and then road stages, they will try and bring them up a few climbs to show case our wonderful landscape. but the Pimples was a comparisons between what we have for mountains and the Alps etc.

from a spectator the prolog is good viewing, the flat stages will be a flash, even on a mountain (the tour pi$$ed up the Wicklow mountains the last time) but still worth a look and a good spot for a sprint finish over quickly but to watch the pure power and speed is savage,
    If you have never seen a pro ride a bike its worth it,

they will possible organise a Tour for one of the flat stages so you can ride the route,
    I also did hear romours that Jens Voight may be looking to organise a charity ride on these fine shores, but off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I saw the Giro a few years ago in Sardinia (2007- I think). Spent a couple of hours waiting for the Peleton and then they came flying past at an easy pace and that was it. Got sunburnt being in the sun that long!

We were on a non descript corner a km or so outside the nearest town and it was packed 3 deep when the peleton was passing. It was a great spectacle to see but I aren't sure I would have travelled all that way especially.

Yes for sheer value for money - its necessary to hit the high mountains, get drunk - strip down to a thong or mankini and chase them mercilessly up the hill shouting banalities at them. Now that sounds like great fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would prefer to look into the drug labs behind the scenes rahter than watching the race ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yes for sheer value for money - its necessary to hit the high mountains, get drunk - strip down to a thong or mankini and chase them mercilessly up the hill shouting banalities at them. Now that sounds like great fun :D

Are we gonna have to watch out for you at Tour de Connemara? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are we gonna have to watch out for you at Tour de Connemara? :eek:

All the one to you as you'll be doing Rosses Point. They're on the same day AFAIK ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    All the one to you as you'll be doing Rosses Point. They're on the same day AFAIK ;)

Any hills in Rosses Point - perhaps I will wait towards the top of that and scream abuse at Sean as he struggles up instead

Bloody hell, forgot about that clash! Just as well I didn't register for the Tour. Thanks P.

CW, for me, this year every hill will be a downhill. Why aren't you racing Rosses Point?

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, forgot about that clash! Just as well I didn't register for the Tour. Thanks P.

CW, for me, this year every hill will be a downhill. Why aren't you racing Rosses Point?

Keeping my powder dry for a podium attempt at Triburgh the following week:cool:

Keeping my powder dry for a podium attempt at Triburgh the following week:cool:

Is that the juniors race? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Edmond_Dantes

been to the Giro a few times now, its a great race

Advertisement