Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was muppetchecked by a mod, outside of the forum they moderate

Options
  • 20-02-2013 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Can an Admin please comment on the current situation as regards mods doing this?

When I was a mod, it was against the rules for mods to do this. The mod in question has informed me that this has changed, and that mods are now allowed to muppetcheck at will, in any forum they wish.

Having not been informed of this change of priveliges, it leaves open a question of Data Protection, and privacy.

The mod carried out the check to satisfy his curiousity as to what name I posted under previously, for no reason that I can ascertain.

I have not fallen foul of any moderator, CMod or Admin since I opened a new account, so I can see absolutely no reason for this moderator to have used this tool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi there TheNinthGate. Can you please report the PM exchange you had with this mod? Thanks. I'll look into it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I will, and I will also give some background here, for context.

There was some to-ing and fro-ing in a thread between myself and the moderator - nothing heated, just niggly little crap - this is why you see apologies at the beginning of the exchange.

He called me out on being a "re-reg" - I've never his that fact, but he also claimed I was a former Moderator of the forum where the original exchange took place - I was not.

Will you update here, or via PM, or not at all?

I will, and I will also give some background here, for context.

There was some to-ing and fro-ing in a thread between myself and the moderator - nothing heated, just niggly little crap - this is why you see apologies at the beginning of the exchange.

He called me out on being a "re-reg" - I've never his that fact, but he also claimed I was a former Moderator of the forum where the original exchange took place - I was not.
    Thanks for the context. :)
    Will you update here, or via PM
    I won't comment until I've seen the PM exchanges but I'll come back to you one way or another.

I've reported them anyway.

Got it thanks. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Need to get back to something else first.

EDIT: Actually, can you PM me a link to the thread where you had the to-and-fro exchange? That will help further add to context.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually, can you PM me a link to the thread where you had the to-and-fro exchange? That will help further add to context.

I read your post before you edited it, so only seeing this now.

Apologies.

But could I suggest that if anyone of "authority", such as yourself, is updating a thread that they use a new post, rather than editing an existing post. I read your post saying you'd get back to me, and was unaware of the additional request for more information until this morning. Just a small thing, but I've seen threads closed here, and in DRP, for non-responding by the OP - it's unfair to expect people to continually check threads for edits to posts they've already read.

It was this thread, which has 355 posts. However, it seems the posts in question have been deleted - you can see them yourself but I can't link them - the PM exchange is from the 13th February, and I'm on 40 Posts Per Page, so the 13th Feb is in or around Page 8 of that thread - or post 310 as I see it.

As I remember it, the mod made a smart comment about "ex soccer mods" doing things they should "know better" about doing - that's paraphrasing, not a direct quote, remember, I can't see the posts.

Point taken :)

Grand, thanks for that. I'll get back to you, no timeframe as yet.

Hello again TheNinthGate. We've had a discussion with the mod in question and I can assure you that this mod now understands how this tool should and should not be used. Incidentally the tool used was not muppetcheck.

Regarding any breach of privacy, at no stage was your IP address visible to the mod. I will also send you a PM in relation to privacy as to post the information here would actually properly breach your privacy.

As you have been online and posted 59 posts since I posted my last response, without posting here to acknowledge my post or challenge the issue further, I will mark this resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement