Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music in today's society

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Zero1986 wrote: »
    IMO scenes come from lazy journalism. Grouping bands and artists together because they either have a sound that's slightly similar, came out in a similar time frame or came from the same city or area.

I agree. However, I would not blame journalism. People should be interested and mature enough to seek out music that they like, not that the media says they should like.

Back in the 60's and 70's journalism played a bigger part in what people listened to, but these days there is no excuse for relying on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

karaokeman wrote: »
    The Beatles were really manufactured in the beginning, thankfully they broke away from that in the later days and made Sgt Peppers (my favourite album of theirs).

How were they manufactured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

How were they manufactured?

Yeah, I was wondering that. Sure they learnt their trade in the night clubs and pubs of Hamburg during 1960-62 playing mostly covers and then came back to England.

It was only after that apprenticeship that they started to get famous.

Manufactured? Surely not. Self made, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I guess I should clarify that the Beatles were manufactured fashion-wise, they were told what to wear, but they weren't manufactured musically per se.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, it denotes music that uses PR marketing. It covers a large majority of the modern music scene, most bands/artists in most genres have it at some level, but the more mainstream an act is the more it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

karaokeman wrote: »
    I guess I should clarify that the Beatles were manufactured fashion-wise, they were told what to wear, but they weren't manufactured musically per se.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, it denotes music that uses PR marketing. It covers a large majority of the modern music scene, most bands/artists in most genres have it at some level, but the more mainstream an act is the more it gets.

I see what you mean, but I'd say that's more grooming than manufacturing, although it is a fair point.

(see photo) "What a coincidence, these boys all have the same taste in clobber, lets start a band" : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement