Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands' Contingent Workforce - How many professional contractors are there Ireland

• 20-02-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Im conducting some research at the moment on Ireland contingent workforce, i.e. freelance, Professional Contractor (IT, Construction, Engineering, Pharma, Finance, Marketing Contractors etc).

What I need to find out is an estimate of how many contractors do we have in Ireland. This is proving to be difficult area to research.

If anybody has any suggestions, it would GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I don't think you'll find any concrete numbers to be honest, I suspect even the Revenue wouldn't know this as there is no individual tax scenario for contractors- they could be under a limited company or a sole trader so there is no definitive way of telling I don't think.

My roughest guess is that it is in the tens of thousands but not over 100,000. But that is just a guess, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DJJ_24

Thanks for that. I have been looking around and can find excellent stats on labout force etc for Ireland and Europe but like you say nothing specific to contractors! Im not expecting to find conctrete figures, a general estimate would do the job at thisstage.... Here's hoping I come across something soon, although the information just might not be out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

People that might have a better guess at it than I did are those who run umbrella companies for contractors- there are four main ones in Ireland, the biggest being these guys http://contractingplus.com/ (recently rebranded, formerly called CXC)

You could be cheeky and ring up and ask, nothing ventured, nothing gained. They should have their fingers on the pulse of how big their potential market is, though they might be cagey about supplying that sort of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Could try to get statistics showing number of companies with only 1 employee?

Advertisement