Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold calling to a business number?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I know private residents can request to have their phone numbers removed from a company's database, but is it possible to request to have a business number removed? I have been receiving cold calls in work from a company called The Design Boyz. I have asked them 5 times in the past 2 weeks to remove our company phone number from their database. Usually I'm patient with cold callers and I tell them that we're not interested and they're generally polite and don't call again. This person who keeps calling is rude and pushy. Every time she calls I tell her I've already spoken to her and she tells me "that's not possible" even though she has a very distinctive accent and unusual name. The call is to do with our business website's listing on google blah blah blah. I tell her we have someone looking after our website and we're happy with it's presence on google. Twice when she's called she's given me wrong company names, so she's not even searching for the correct company.

I know it's not really a big deal but it's just annoying and frustrating. I checked the company's website and it's an Australian company but she told me she's calling from Dublin when I asked her today and the number that she's ringing off is a VOIP number (076).

Should I just send an email to the company? Or should I just leave it and keep telling her to stop calling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

There was an Indian gentleman ringing me on an almost daily basis trying to sell me web advertising on Google or some such junk. After a few days I told him that I would hunt him down and have him kneecapped. When he said he didn't understand 'kneecapped', I told him to Google it. He never called again :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Chances are they're phoning in from abroad and getting it resolved by reporting them is probably not going to work.

One technique that should work is to buy a whistle, a really loud one and then draw a huge breath and let them have it in the ear. If they ring back do it again but it is unlikely they'll ring back, trust me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

RATM wrote: »
    Chances are they're phoning in from abroad and getting it resolved by reporting them is probably not going to work.

One technique that should work is to buy a whistle, a really loud one and then draw a huge breath and let them have it in the ear. If they ring back do it again but it is unlikely they'll ring back, trust me :D

I couldn't do that, I know they're irritating but I always feel bad for them because they're working such a shitty job :o Even though she is rude! Besides, I don't think my bosses would be impressed with me blowing a whistle down my phone :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

As soon as they speak just say "goodbye" and hang up. simply do not engage in any conversation. It works!

As soon as they speak just say "goodbye" and hang up. simply do not engage in any conversation. It works!

I honestly don't think she even makes any notes that she's called! I'll try that approach from now on though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I couldn't do that, I know they're irritating but I always feel bad for them because they're working such a shitty job :o Even though she is rude! Besides, I don't think my bosses would be impressed with me blowing a whistle down my phone :eek:

:D

I wouldn't feel much sympathy for telemarketers, these people make up to 200+ calls a day in the hope that 3 or 4 might actually talk to them. They play a numbers game where they wreck the heads of hundreds of people in order to possibly get some business from one or two. Its a real throw a net and see what we catch approach and one that should have been left in the 1990's to be honest.

You can try the polite way and explain that all your SEO/SEM is done in-house by yourself and if it gets outsourced then you yourself are out of a job so there is really no point in calling you again.

But in my experience although they might agree with you they will be calling again because the piece of software they're using will throw up your number again- a telemarketer often doesn't have the ability to delete numbers from contact lists that their boss has paid thousands for.

I used to get calls from a quite aggressive hard sell investment company in London on an almost monthly basis. I asked lots of times to be taken off their list lots of times explaining that I don't have any money to invest. Despite that they would still call. In the end the only thing that worked was the whistle and it sits proudly on my desk to this day

RATM wrote: »
    :D

I wouldn't feel much sympathy for telemarketers, these people make up to 200+ calls a day in the hope that 3 or 4 might actually talk to them. They play a numbers game where they wreck the heads of hundreds of people in order to possibly get some business from one or two. Its a real throw a net and see what we catch approach and one that should have been left in the 1990's to be honest.

You can try the polite way and explain that all your SEO/SEM is done in-house by yourself and if it gets outsourced then you yourself are out of a job so there is really no point in calling you again.

But in my experience although they might agree with you they will be calling again because the piece of software they're using will throw up your number again- a telemarketer often doesn't have the ability to delete numbers from contact lists that their boss has paid thousands for.

I used to get calls from a quite aggressive hard sell investment company in London on an almost monthly basis. I asked lots of times to be taken off their list lots of times explaining that I don't have any money to invest. Despite that they would still call. In the end the only thing that worked was the whistle and it sits proudly on my desk to this day

I explained that the first three times, but she just kept interrupting me and talking off a script :mad:

Yeah I figured that she wasn't able to remove the number from the database.

Maybe next time she calls and asks for the business owner I'll ask her to hold and just leave her there waiting and see how long it takes her to hang up. Not very mature but somewhat fun for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭bon ami

Advertisement