Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Clever Tablet and support

Options
  • 20-02-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently purchased a 10" Go Clever tablet for my son from DID Electrical. He dropped it after about a week and cracked the screen. I contacted Go Clever about getting the screen replaced and they told me to go back to the shop. I went to DID and they said there are no replacement parts available. I have emailed Go Clever again and have been told they will make a part available for €150 + VAT.
    The tablet originally cost €180, so it would be cheaper to buy new again.

What a waste of money.

So much for supporting an Irish retailer. Next time I will buy it on the web.

As for Go Clever - I would strongly recommend not to buy a Go Clever tablet or any other product from Go Clever. The least you would expect when you buy such a device is that standard replacement parts are cheaper then a whole new tablet.

Next time it will be a Nexus or iPad......

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

next time buy a cover and screen protector for it. also it is not DID's fault, your son dropped it. its not a warranty issue cos he dropped it.

if you read the terms and conditions of the warranty you would see that. if it was an ipad or nexus pad that he dropped it would be exactly the same.

accidental damage is not covered under the warranty.

if your son is that careless with it i'd not buy him another one. if he wants one let him buy it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought a MacBook Pro for €1000+. Small crack appeared in the screen, so I rang Compu B to inquire about the price of getting it repaired. Because of the nature of the laptop, the repair part would cost €500-600. Moral of the story, I'm living with the crack.

Integrated electronic items like tablets etc can be tricky to repair or get parts for due to their sealed nature.

I don't see any Consumer Issue here. The damage was accidental, and you/your son will have to incur the cost. No retailer would cover a repair for accidental damage. Either teach your son to mind his possessions, or else don't get him valuable electrical products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 connob

My problem with this is not about warranty. I fully agree that this is accidental damage and so is not covered by warranty. My issue is that parts should be readily available in country where devices are sold. I would expect that DID should have access to them - which in this case they don't. I would expect that the parts are reasonably priced and that it should not cost as much to replace a screen as a new device - I am sure this is a common event Maybe if I had claimed the screen was damaged out of the box the outcome would be different. However as that is dishonest I chose not to do that.

As for screen protectors - there was one on it - not much use.

The only available covers are sleeves - again no use in this scenario.

My son was careful with the device - but accidents do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

connob wrote: »
    I recently purchased a 10" Go Clever tablet for my son from DID Electrical. He dropped it after about a week and cracked the screen. I contacted Go Clever about getting the screen replaced and they told me to go back to the shop. I went to DID and they said there are no replacement parts available. I have emailed Go Clever again and have been told they will make a part available for €150 + VAT.
    The tablet originally cost €180, so it would be cheaper to buy new again.

What a waste of money.

So much for supporting an Irish retailer. Next time I will buy it on the web.

As for Go Clever - I would strongly recommend not to buy a Go Clever tablet or any other product from Go Clever. The least you would expect when you buy such a device is that standard replacement parts are cheaper then a whole new tablet.

Next time it will be a Nexus or iPad......

why are you having a go at DID? they haven't done anything wrong, your son dropped it! and in relation to the parts your not factoring in the labour costs, some people have some neck having a go at a retailer when the damage caused was clearly your own, as for a nexus or ipad the costs to replace the screens on these are much more and how do you know that the internal parts aren't damaged also?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

agree its not really anything to be with DID.. Go Clever have offered you the option of getting it fixed which you are choosing not to have done. what more do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

You would have the same problem with any other tablet I would think, not just this brand, and not just this store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The screens are expensive as it tends to be the case that you've to not only replace the screen but the digitizer as well, lump onto that the labour cost and you're looking at a pretty hefty sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nayr85

I GOT A GOCLEVER TABLET TO JUST SKYPE MY GIRLFRIEND AS SHE WENT HOME AS HER MOTHER IS VERY SICK THE SHOP TOLD ME THAT IS ALL YOU NEED IF YOU ARE JUST SKYPEING ON IT OR PICKING UP EMAILS YOU DO NOT NEED ANY OTHER THIS IS GREAT FOR YOU WITH IN ONE WEEK WHEN I WENT TO BUT IT IN TO CHARGE IN THE SIDE THE THING WAS GONE INSIDE SO WENT TO THE SHOP THEY LET ME HAVE A NEW ONE SO I TOOK IT THEN THE NEW ONE STARTED TO FREEZE WHEN I WAS WRITEING THEN THE SCREEN STARTED TO COME LOSE THEN IT WOULD FREEZE TILL THE BATTERY WENT DEAD I WENT TO THE SHOP TOLD THEM NO LONGER WANT THIS MAKE SO THEY SAID KEEP IT TILL A NEWM MAKE THEY WERE GETTING COMES IN SO I9 WAITED OVER TWO MONTHS WENT IN AND HE SAID GO CLEVER WILL ONLY FIX IT WILL NOT SEND A NEW ONE ANYMORE SO CAN NOT GIVE YOU THE OTHER MODEL OF TABLET YOU NEED TO HAVE THE GO CLEVER TABLET FIXED HOW CAN YOU FIX A LOAD OF RUBBISH AND CHINA SAY THEY MAKE THE BEST THINGS I DO NOT THINK SO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Not even going to read that...

a bigger consumer issue that I think the entire world really needs to address is that its cheaper to buy a new one instead of repair. Talk about a monstrous waste of resources. What a wasteful, lazy bunch we truly are. Shameful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

nayr85 wrote: »
    I GOT A GOCLEVER TABLET TO JUST SKYPE MY GIRLFRIEND AS SHE WENT HOME AS HER MOTHER IS VERY SICK THE SHOP TOLD ME THAT IS ALL YOU NEED IF YOU ARE JUST SKYPEING ON IT OR PICKING UP EMAILS YOU DO NOT NEED ANY OTHER THIS IS GREAT FOR YOU WITH IN ONE WEEK WHEN I WENT TO BUT IT IN TO CHARGE IN THE SIDE THE THING WAS GONE INSIDE SO WENT TO THE SHOP THEY LET ME HAVE A NEW ONE SO I TOOK IT THEN THE NEW ONE STARTED TO FREEZE WHEN I WAS WRITEING THEN THE SCREEN STARTED TO COME LOSE THEN IT WOULD FREEZE TILL THE BATTERY WENT DEAD I WENT TO THE SHOP TOLD THEM NO LONGER WANT THIS MAKE SO THEY SAID KEEP IT TILL A NEWM MAKE THEY WERE GETTING COMES IN SO I9 WAITED OVER TWO MONTHS WENT IN AND HE SAID GO CLEVER WILL ONLY FIX IT WILL NOT SEND A NEW ONE ANYMORE SO CAN NOT GIVE YOU THE OTHER MODEL OF TABLET YOU NEED TO HAVE THE GO CLEVER TABLET FIXED HOW CAN YOU FIX A LOAD OF RUBBISH AND CHINA SAY THEY MAKE THE BEST THINGS I DO NOT THINK SO

Did they refuse to fix the issue with the Caps Lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I know the OP may be long gone but he is actually in the right here. There is an implied guarantee that spare parts and servicing is available for a reasonable time.

The hallowed SOGASOSA:

12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

(2) The Minister may, after such consultation with such interested parties as he thinks proper, by order define, in relation to any class of goods described in the order, what shall be a reasonable period for the purpose of subsection (1).

(3) Notwithstanding section 55 (1) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 22 of this Act) any term of a contract exempting from all or any of the provisions of this section shall be void.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nayr85

hardCopy wrote: »
    Did they refuse to fix the issue with the Caps Lock?
    DO NOT WANT THE SECONED ONE FIXED AND THE SCREEN IS FALLING OUT SO CAN NOT GET THE CAPS OFF

Iveaproblemwithmyspacebarit'sreallybloodyannoyingalmostasannoyingasmylackofpunctuationthatisofcoursejustpurebloodylazyness

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@nayr85 - PLease don't post all in CAPS - it's considered to be the same as shouting, in terms of internet etiquette. As you can see, the reaction of other posters hasn't been positive.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 18 plouto

wher wud you get a go clever charger can they be bought in ireland ???????

plouto wrote: »
    wher wud you get a go clever charger can they be bought in ireland ???????

hav u try'd espares or partsmaster init guvnor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!......???????

Advertisement