Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry County Council: what is it good for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Kerry County Council

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I've another question:

Tell me, who should I speak with about questions that I have about the Killarney National Park?

NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Service) which is under the Dept of Arts, Heritage and The Gaeltacht.

Email:
    killarneynp@ahg.gov.ie

Main Office 064-6631440

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Service) which is under the Dept of Arts, Heritage and The Gaeltacht.

Email:
    killarneynp@ahg.gov.ie

Main Office 064-6631440

Ah sweet! Thank You, that was quick! :)

Kerry county council should have it's own sticky thread rather than asking questions all over the forum.

Just said I'd throw it out there.

Yep. Was thinking the same thing me self. Will set one up tomorrow. Pandoras Box though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Yep. Was thinking the same thing me self. Will set one up tomorrow. Pandoras Box though? :)

Yup, well it will be no different to ye taking flack in different sections of this forum, it will just be contained all in one thread!

Speaking of boxes, check your inbox I private messaged you/ye regarding the Tralee bypass :).

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why your council workers had to grit most of our shopfront in Boherbee this morning?? They carelessly threw the grit up against our shop, which hasn't been painted long! We tried cleaning it off, but it has managed to stick so hard in places it has now removed paint!
    Thanks for that, great to see how your workers take so much care of RATE PAYING businesses.
    What doesn't make sense is why they even gritted the paths in Boherbee, as they have NEVER done so before, especially when it was badly needed. Today didn't seem to be needed, yet even then it was thrown in so far against the shop, that the grit made no difference as it wasn't even on the path!
    Thanks again, nice to know the council care so much about other's property!

Sorry to hear about that. There is a short time span to get this work done so the pressure is on, but that shouldn't have happened. I'll pass it onto the Town Cl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sorry to hear about that. There is a short time span to get this work done so the pressure is on, but that shouldn't have happened. I'll pass it onto the Town Cl

rush or no rush, they didn't do a very good job! The whole street had it thrown in against the edge of the buildings, and not on the actual pathway...so even if it was icy that morning, it wouldn't have been much good to anyone! sloppy work

• Registered Users Posts: 2 monday7

Why do kcc continue to use cold tarmac to fill potholes.This method has been
    described as useless and a waste of money by their own senior engineers yet it
    continues and the hot patching machines bought with taxpayers money and are
    a great success are parked and left to rot.
    This is how they spend our household charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

monday7 wrote: »

.. but it's a tradition, pure comedy gold :pac:

Do they still shovel a bit of tarmac into a pothole, and then drive the truck wheels backwards and forwards over it in an attempt to flatten it, before going on to the next one?:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ejmaztec wrote: »
    .. but it's a tradition, pure comedy gold :pac:

Do they still shovel a bit of tarmac into a pothole, and then drive the truck wheels backwards and forwards over it in an attempt to flatten it, before going on to the next one?:confused:

or where they fill a pothole & then miss one right next to it!
    Oakpark road for example, they did a patch just after the pedestrian crossing near the Carry Out, but there is a pothole right on the crossing, which they obviously missed. There are a lot of potholes starting up & down the Oakpark road, which are only getting worse by the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

To satisfy my curiosity could someone from KCC say what is going on on the road from The Spa to Fenit. Is the corner being take out or is the road being widened?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Neither, coastal defence works methinks

Layinghen wrote: »
    To satisfy my curiosity could someone from KCC say what is going on on the road from The Spa to Fenit. Is the corner being take out or is the road being widened?

Many thanks

Fair play to the workers who were working that stretch last week-end! I drove the route Friday to see where the starting point for the Fenit Coastal Cycle on Sat morn was and they'd a traffic-light stop-go in place; and again Sat morn as I went over to register early.
    However, by the time I started cycling the route about 8:30am they were all cleared up and the surface was better than I thought it would be so Fair Play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I agree with you Kerry. The organisation of the work site is excellent. The traffic light system really seems to work well.

Coastal defence work sounds plausible (hope it works if that is what's wrong - otherwise no swimming this summer!)

Layinghen wrote: »

Many thanks

Road subsidence due in part to coastal erosion. Working on it at the moment, but looking at a longer term solution down the line

Road subsidence due in part to coastal erosion. Working on it at the moment, but looking at a longer term solution down the line

anything being done about the potholes which are getting worse each week the whole way up & down the Oakpark road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I was wondering, with so many cyclists on the road these days, and so much money spent on (poorly thought out) bike lanes, are there any repercussions for parking in bike lanes? Every day I see cars parked on the bike lane on Port Road in Killarney, this is an accident waiting to happen, am I supposed to stay in the bike lane and swerve into traffic to avoid these cars? It's pretty pointless having a bike lane there.
    Near Fossa school and other places around Killarney there are bike lanes that are raised, then they are lowered for entrances to drives etc. Did the engineer ever actually ride a bicycle? has anyone involved in the layout of these 'bike lanes' ridden them since they were constructed? What about out the Fossa road before the Golden Nugget, where the lane disappears and then reappears? what is a cyclist supposed to do? and then the one out the Cork Rd is another disaster, it is on the footpath and if a cyclist wants to use the 'bike Lane', they have to dismount if they want to go to any point other than the first turn off in the roundabout.......

I was wondering, with so many cyclists on the road these days, and so much money spent on (poorly thought out) bike lanes, are there any repercussions for parking in bike lanes? Every day I see cars parked on the bike lane on Port Road in Killarney, this is an accident waiting to happen, am I supposed to stay in the bike lane and swerve into traffic to avoid these cars? It's pretty pointless having a bike lane there.
    Near Fossa school and other places around Killarney there are bike lanes that are raised, then they are lowered for entrances to drives etc. Did the engineer ever actually ride a bicycle? has anyone involved in the layout of these 'bike lanes' ridden them since they were constructed? What about out the Fossa road before the Golden Nugget, where the lane disappears and then reappears? what is a cyclist supposed to do? and then the one out the Cork Rd is another disaster, it is on the footpath and if a cyclist wants to use the 'bike Lane', they have to dismount if they want to go to any point other than the first turn off in the roundabout.......

You should spend some time reading this thread and don't hesitate in informing drivers of the actual rules of the road should they give you grief. Trust me, It's fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 monday7

As kcc seem to be back from their holidays they might like to comment on this
    and in the light of recent events with cork county council why do we see one
    and two man gangs with dumpers and pick-ups with no traffic control filling
    potholes,eg one man with a pick-up on the listowel rd yesterday shoveling tarmac into holes.

As kcc seem to be back from their holidays they might like to comment on this
    and in the light of recent events with cork county council why do we see one
    and two man gangs with dumpers and pick-ups with no traffic control filling
    potholes,eg one man with a pick-up on the listowel rd yesterday shoveling tarmac into holes.

maybe they might actually get the potholes on Oakpark road done soon so!....we can but hope! Cars are starting to swerve & avoid the potholes now, which is going to cause other issues!
    Bad pothole on the pedestrian crossing at Spar.... I'm sure the KCC will foot the bill when my suspension goes??....yeah right!

SORT IT OUT KCC....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I am sure you all know there is a website to report things like potholes, illegal dumping, etc.:

www.fixmystreet.ie

It is very easy to use and you can enter updates when the problem has been rectified by the Co Co.

I am not it Kerry (wish I was :-) ), but I am told that Kerry Co Co respond swiftly to items posted on Fixmystreet.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Very true, I wonder how many of these people know that they are should be liable to 3 penalty points and a fine of €90.

Maybe Kerry CoCo could advise as to who to contact regarding these offenses, is it the council traffic wardens or the guards ?

Slasher wrote: »
    I am sure you all know there is a website to report things like potholes, illegal dumping, etc.:

www.fixmystreet.ie

It is very easy to use and you can enter updates when the problem has been rectified by the Co Co.

I am not it Kerry (wish I was :-) ), but I am told that Kerry Co Co respond swiftly to items posted on Fixmystreet.ie.

I hadn't even heard that this service was rolled out nationally? I knew it started off in Dublin, but I had no idea that you could report anywhere now! Off to take a look, thanks!

Any words of advice Kerry CoCo ?
    kingdumb wrote: »
    Maybe Kerry CoCo could advise as to who to contact regarding these offenses, is it the council traffic wardens or the guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Are there any repercussions for parking in bike lanes?
    Parking in bike lanes is illegal (as is parking in car lanes) it is a matter for the Guards to enforce.
    Every day I see cars parked on the bike lane on Port Road in Killarney, this is an accident waiting to happen, am I supposed to stay in the bike lane and swerve into traffic to avoid these cars? It's pretty pointless having a bike lane there.

Yes, motorists who park up on the Port Rd bike lane are creating a very dangerous situation for cyclists. There is however a brand new cycle track running from the Plaza to Old Fossa GAA pitch through the national park.
    What about out the Fossa road before the Golden Nugget, where the lane disappears and then reappears?
    I think there are plans to extend the off road cycle track through to the Golden Nugget Junction which will allow cyclists travel from Fossa to Killarney Town centre with out having to contend with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Parking in bike lanes is illegal (as is parking in car lanes) it is a matter for the Guards to enforce.

Yes, motorists who park up on the Port Rd bike lane are creating a very dangerous situation for cyclists. There is however a brand new cycle track running from the Plaza to Old Fossa GAA pitch through the national park.

I think there are plans to extend the off road cycle track through to the Golden Nugget Junction which will allow cyclists travel from Fossa to Killarney Town centre with out having to contend with traffic.

Thanks for the update on that, but in all fairness, unless you plan on cycling at the same speed as walkers, the cycle path-which is also used by joggers, walkers, dogwalkers, rollerbladers etc. -is not suitable for cycling as a commuting route or a route to be used by cyclists training for the ring of kerry or any other form of average or above average cyclists.

Thanks for that but I would like a response from Kerry CoCo. on the matter. I asked a guard last week and was told it would be best to contact the (council) traffic warden !

FINALLY they filled the potholes on the Oakpark road! better late than never I suppose! :)

Advertisement