Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First appointment

Options
  • 20-02-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi girls,

Just back from my first fertility appointment. Was a lot quicker than I thought it would be and we didn't get a lot done, but trying to be positive we have made a start. They pretty much had no interest in my OH.

So prior to going I had my day 3 and day 21 bloods done, my OH had his semen analysis (SA) done. All this came back fine.

So today I had a quick chat with the doctor, weight, height and blood pressure and an internal, (not the ultra sound as I had hoped). The doctor said there was nothing obvious that she observed, but my right ovary was a little enlarged (:confused:)

I have been put on 25mg of Clomid for CD 2-6 for 3 months and have to get my CD21 bloods done for two of those months.

Also I am getting a full scan in March. Feel a small bit disappointed as I had hoped they would do another SA and my scan, but sure at least the wheels are in motion!!!

Thanks sb x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I know how you feel about being disapointed after the appointment. This assisted ttc business can seem to go on for months without anything happening, but lots of money being spent. I think we build our hopes up for something and it's not quite what was expected. Hopefully that will be your first and last appointment.
    If not, you get used to going to appointments and nothing really happening.

They don't really have to do much with your oh unless there was any signs in his SA. Its no harm though to have at least 2 SA done for a clear picture as the quailty etc can vary a lot.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

they had no interest in my partner either once his swimmers swam.

Clomid worked very well for me, so I'm a big fan of it. I conceived on the second proper month of taking it (first one was cancelled) and recently got pregnant (tho had a mc) in our second cycle (of barely) trying. But at least I got pregnant easily which is a big consolation.

Best of luck with it, I hope it has as much success for you as it did for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thanks girls xxx we have everything crossed well except the legs Lol!!

I just went to the chemist, she said it was very strange to be on such a low dosage 25mg? She said it is normally 50mg or 100mg. Anyway she has given me 3 tablets for each cycle (half to be taken each day for 5 days from CD2 and throw the other half away).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

stickybean wrote: »
    Thanks girls xxx we have everything crossed well except the legs Lol!!

I just went to the chemist, she said it was very strange to be on such a low dosage 25mg? She said it is normally 50mg or 100mg. Anyway she has given me 3 tablets for each cycle (half to be taken each day for 5 days from CD2 and throw the other half away).

I was on 50mg x 5 days the first cycle but I overstimulated so they cancelled. The following month my dosage was dropped to 50mg x 2, which is just a different way than yours of 25mg x 5, so I suspect if you are like me and you already seem to ovulate you only need the tiny amount to kick-start the ovaries.

Its also better to take a smaller dosage x 5 days, because some women do have side-effects on clomid, so the smaller the dosage, the less side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Ah thanks for that Neylite! That would make sense - I have been tracking mu ovulation (using OPK's), I have successfully got 8 positives out of 11 cycles (and one of them was backed up with day 21 bloods)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Big fan of clomid here too stickybean. Worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Clomid didn't do anything for us and I hinged all my hopes on it so don't be too disappointed if nothing happens immediately. The ttc process is slow. It was only after the internal scan and then an MRI that they found I had several cysts. As others said, they had no interest in my oh. Best advice I can give is be patient and not be disappointed if you don't conceived in the first few clomid cycles. It all takes time. Best of luck to you. X

Advertisement