Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obtaining Irish citizenship via Naturalisation & leaving the country?

• 20-02-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am a Lithuanian national living here since 2003, so I don't think I should have any difficulties getting Irish citizenship. The reason that for me wanting to get Irish citizenship is solely for immigration purposes - I want to live & work in Canada. It looks unlikely that I'll be able to get a working Visa as a Lithuanian national due to political reasons, I was wondering, is it an offense not living in the country straight after obtaining its citizenship? I know that the citizenship can be taken away if I was to live 7 consecutive years in another country, but that does not bother me, I would most likely get a Canadian citizenship, should I remain there for such a long time. I would assume that this should be ok, but please correct me if I'm wrong - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

ReserchWill: Thanks for that, but doesn't quite answer my question. If I tick the box, and I indicate that I intend to reside in Canada, they might turn around and say he doesn't need Irish citizenship for such reason. Unless that is allowed, which I am trying to find out. On the other hand, if I at the time intend to live in Ireland for the foreseeable future, but decide two months after getting the citizenship to try my chances in Canada I wouldn't be breaking the terms of the contract surely ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

nobodiez wrote: »
    ReserchWill: Thanks for that, but doesn't quite answer my question. If I tick the box, and I indicate that I intend to reside in Canada, they might turn around and say he doesn't need Irish citizenship for such reason. Unless that is allowed, which I am trying to find out. On the other hand, if I at the time intend to live in Ireland for the foreseeable future, but decide two months after getting the citizenship to try my chances in Canada I wouldn't be breaking the terms of the contract surely ?

To get a correct answer to your question you will need to seek the advice of a good immigration solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

On the other hand, if I at the time intend to live in Ireland for the foreseeable future, but decide two months after getting the citizenship to try my chances in Canada I wouldn't be breaking the terms of the contract surely ?
    It looks as if you have answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There was a question in the Dáil in the last few months where a person submitted the naturalisation application form but it was returned without further processing to the applicant because the person had indicated on the form Ireland wouldn't be their usual or principal place of residence.

I've never come across anything that indicated citizenship had been cancelled because someone had emigrated seeking work.

EDIT: [article] Citizenship on the line, Moves in the works to strip system abusers of naturalisation papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks. It is silly when you think about it, but I'll keep in mind not to mention this on the form.
    The Cush wrote: »
    There was a question in the Dáil in the last few months where a person submitted the naturalisation application form but it was returned without further processing to the applicant because the person had indicated on the form Ireland wouldn't be their usual or principal place of residence.

I've never come across anything that indicated citizenship had been cancelled because someone had emigrated seeking work.

EDIT: [article] Citizenship on the line, Moves in the works to strip system abusers of naturalisation papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks. It is silly when you think about it, but I'll keep in mind not to mention this on the form.

I would disagree.

Your naturalisation application is based on how you have settled in Ireland and how you have in the past, contributed to Irish society and how you intend to in the future. Applying for Citizenship with the intention of emigrating so you can use your Irish passport to obtain a visa for a third country is dishonest. You would be lying on the application form which you would be aware is an offence under Section 29A of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts as amended.

Obviously, whether you will suffer any consequences from doing so is another matter but is unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭SirTallaghtban

You are obtaining an Irish passport purely to circumvent Canadian immigration. Both the Canadians and the Irish will take a dim view of this. You need a gardai background check, they will mention on your background check, that you have only recently obtained Irish citizenship. From speaking to acquaintances, that have been through the IEC programme, the officials can be very picky. Stuff like this will be picked up on.

It also costs 950 euro plus and takes a few years to obtain.

Advertisement