Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressed Air is expensive

Options
  • 20-02-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    So I wanna use my old laptop as a media player for my tv but the fans pretty loud on it after years of use. Dunno if it's catching or it's just dirty or what but I wanna blast it with some compressed air to see but they're like 16 euro for a can. Redonkulous. My question is can I take it up to the garage up my road and blast it with the tyre air they have up there? I've a feeling it could become a clip in an animaniacs "good idea, bad idea" segment but I thought I'd ask to see what you guys think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You can use a compressor, but make sure to lock the fan(s) with a plastic pin or toothpick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Torqay wrote: »
    You can use a compressor, but make sure to lock the fan(s) with a plastic pin or toothpick.
    Cool. What's the purpose of locking it? Will the air still be able to pass through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Steoob wrote: »
    What's the purpose of locking it?

To prevent damage.
    Will the air still be able to pass through?

But of course.

And keep some distance, as a garage compressor is using very high pressure, also use a cloth over the nozzle to prevent oil/water blown into the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Is the fan running most of the time? If so you prob have a build-up of dust and fluff between the fan and where the warm air comes out (reducing the flow and thus the cooling effect). If this is the case blasting it with air will prob make it worse. Some laptops are easy to change fan and remove fluff, some require complete disassembly. Check youtube for videos of your model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My uncle has a tyre business and I blast the dust out of all computers I get using his compressed air nozzle which is a special gun thing he has for blowing dust out of cars! You have to keep it a safe distance back though. Cans of compressed air are useless, not only are they expensive but they can't generate high enough pressure to shift the dust from desktops. If it is a laptop you will have to disassemble first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hey all,
    So I wanna use my old laptop as a media player for my tv but the fans pretty loud on it after years of use. Dunno if it's catching or it's just dirty or what but I wanna blast it with some compressed air to see but they're like 16 euro for a can. Redonkulous. My question is can I take it up to the garage up my road and blast it with the tyre air they have up there? I've a feeling it could become a clip in an animaniacs "good idea, bad idea" segment but I thought I'd ask to see what you guys think.
    I've a feeling it could become a clip in an animaniacs "good idea, bad idea" segment

:) I always loved that.

Anyway it should be relatively straightforward to take the back of the laptop and remove the fan and clean with a cloth or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

In regards to the replies saying I should take it apart, its a HP DM3, fookin nightmare to disassemble. :( Im going to try out the compressor next week when Im off work and ill report back to let ye know how it goes. I'll look like a mad man with a laptop in the forecourt. Its gonna be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

Some laptops have very accessible fans, some are complete cnuts.. what make & model is yours?

Advertisement