Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway. Advice needed!

Options
  • 20-02-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there.

I'm planning on moving to Galway from Yorkshire in England. I've got some ancestral roots in the city and have visited a few times over the last few years.

Could someone possibly give me an idea of what the city's like to live in?

Also, will I get a load of grief for being English (albeit, northern)? I went to university in Scotland so I'm used to a bit of a ribbing, but hoping not to have issues settling in just down to an accent!

Are there plenty of jobs in Galway? I graduated with a degree in Economics, but have no interest in a role in finance. I've mainly worked in marketing, salesy roles as I prefer the interaction with people.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to move over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭squonk

As a blow in myself I think it's a great city. There's always something on to go to. Always plenty of nightlife and there are some great bars and music venues.

Galway people are friendly I've found and not the worst sort so I wouldn't see you taking much flak over being English but I'd say anyone who tries that on is being an asshole anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jamie1988

squonk wrote: »
    As a blow in myself I think it's a great city. There's always something on to go to. Always plenty of nightlife and there are some great bars and music venues.

Galway people are friendly I've found and not the worst sort so I wouldn't see you taking much flak over being English but I'd say anyone who tries that on is being an asshole anyway.

As a blow in?!

Thanks for the rest of the advice!

Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi Jamie,

I mean I'm not natively from Galway but moved here 2.5 years ago. I'm from the West anyway which might make a difference but it's easy going around here and easy to get to know people and get into a group. Pretty good spot all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

You wont have any problems with the accent. Galway is a mixed bag as is. Its a nice city to live in. What are your ancestral roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

also 'like' this page on facebook. they'll make you feel at home for meet up for games etc in galway

http://www.facebook.com/pages/WEST-OF-IRELAND-LEEDS-UNITED-SUPPORTERS/163845422295?fref=ts

• Advertisement

Jamie1988 wrote: »
    Also, will I get a load of grief for being English (albeit, northern)? I went to university in Scotland so I'm used to a bit of a ribbing, but hoping not to have issues settling in just down to an accent
    Probably not - something like one in five people living here were born outside of Ireland.
    Are there plenty of jobs in Galway? I graduated with a degree in Economics, but have no interest in a role in finance. I've mainly worked in marketing, salesy roles as I prefer the interaction with people.
    No - there are limited opportunities here in Galway, and in Ireland more generally.

swiftman wrote: »
    also 'like' this page on facebook. they'll make you feel at home for meet up for games etc in galway

http://www.facebook.com/pages/WEST-OF-IRELAND-LEEDS-UNITED-SUPPORTERS/163845422295?fref=ts

Haha! As a Huddersfield Town fan, I'd rather not :)

squonk wrote: »
    Hi Jamie,

I mean I'm not natively from Galway but moved here 2.5 years ago. I'm from the West anyway which might make a difference but it's easy going around here and easy to get to know people and get into a group. Pretty good spot all told.

Thanks for that. I'm sure I'll pick up the lingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Haha! As a Huddersfield Town fan, I'd rather not :)

haha i was hoping that would be your answer. before we go to much of topic, sorry about the mess simon 'larry' grayson did and selling rhodes :D:D:D

jamesdiver wrote: »
    You wont have any problems with the accent. Galway is a mixed bag as is. Its a nice city to live in. What are your ancestral roots?

My grandmother was from Galway. Although she'd lived in Yorkshire for that long, she had a very strange hybrid accent..!

• Advertisement

swiftman wrote: »

haha i was hoping that would be your answer. before we go to much of topic, sorry about the mess simon 'larry' grayson did and selling rhodes :D:D:D

Eh, Larry got us promoted so can't really complain. Could do with Rhodes at the minute though!

Thanks for advice everyone. Bit worried about the advice regarding jobs. However, just looked on Galwayjobs and there seems to be a few out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

There are definitely not plenty of jobs in Galway/Ireland, just be very aware of that.

There are definitely not plenty of jobs in Galway/Ireland, just be very aware of that.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't be looking to live there forever. Probably a year or two. So I'd be happy to do anything to pay the bills. There must be jobs over there, even if it's low paid agency roles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

To be honest, I probably wouldn't be looking to live there forever. Probably a year or two. So I'd be happy to do anything to pay the bills. There must be jobs over there, even if it's low paid agency roles?

There's lots of people looking for the same thing at the moment, anything to earn a bit of money. I haven't worked in the city in a few years, I work just outside it and I never did marketing etc roles so maybe others can give you a better idea, but in all sectors people I know are losing jobs, long term unemployed, etc, etc, so I would just be wary of assuming you'll pick up anything quickly, it might happen, it might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There must be jobs over there, even if it's low paid agency roles?

I think that's a somewhat dangerous assumption to make. Unemployment in Ireland is almost touching 15%, gaining employment in any sector is tough these days regardless of what's on your CV.

In general, Galway's a fantastic city to live in.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I think that's a somewhat dangerous assumption to make. Unemployment in Ireland is almost touching 15%, gaining employment in any sector is tough these days regardless of what's on your CV.

In general, Galway's a fantastic city to live in.

Yeah, that didn't come across the way I intended it to. Apologies if it came across in an offensive way.

If only I could speak German!

I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to move over with no real chance of employment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement