Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Waterford for mens suits

Options
  • 20-02-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I arrived in a very quiet Waterford city yesterday afternoon to buy a suit for my daughters communion. I was dismayed to see the city so so quiet.Have a lot of shops closed since the new year ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

A few have gone same as everywhere. Waterford was never great for men's suits. Not great for men's clothes generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nipper1

I have to disagree about the mens suits part as I picked up a great suit from Gregorys in Patrick Street.I travelled from Gorey to purchase from Gregorys as it came recommended from a few friends who have purchased there.I wasnt disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

In fairness to Gregg the title of the thread is a bit misleading

Have to agree with you about Gregory's - good shop, good selection and Greg is a gentleman to deal with

Others places worth a look are Tony Roches and Fitzgeralds. And of course there's always the sale on in Peter France

ah yea I'm sure Gregory's as well as Tony Roches and Fitzgeralds are fine shops. It's more a case of choice. We're not exactly spoiled when it comes to men's clothes shops in Waterford.

Note: I will say that I stopped wearing suits 20 years ago when I no longer had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nipper1

Sorry about the misleading title, Its just that there was a lot of empty units around and fewer people !! I suppose its February and footfall would be terrible everywhere. Getting back to my suit purchase I didn't get to meet the owner at Gregory s but there was a great sales woman in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Yes that girl very friendly sister of law of owner as far as I know. Just a side note on way to Dublin today for medical appointment called into Kildare village with herself , have to say wasn't even tempted to buy any men's clothes . Sometimes we think we are a lot worse off than we think in this city , I know the ladies like shopping around and going to new places etc, but there still is a decent selection for men in this city .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

peter in tony roche menswear in georges court is excellent to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I used to deal with Greg back in the day, like That's been mentioned above he's a gent. I'd recommend the shop to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

ziedth wrote: »
    I used to deal with Greg back in the day, like That's been mentioned above he's a gent. I'd recommend the shop to anyone.

Another recommendation for Gregory's here. I was in with him last week buying a suit. He has a sale on at the moment and is great to deal with.

ziedth wrote: »
    I used to deal with Old Gregg back in the day, like That's been mentioned above he's a gent. I'd recommend the shop to anyone.
    FYP :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Recommend Greg as well, bought a great suit in there about two years ago and I still have it going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Bluezar wrote: »
    Recommend Greg as well, bought a great suit in there about two years ago and I still have it going strong.

+1 on Gregorys as well. Fitzgeralds know their stuff too, got a great suit in there a couple of years ago.

There used to be other menswear shops like Mackey's down next to John Hearn's on the Quay but thats gone about 8 years now and there was one down in Michael street near where the News and Star office is/was that I can't recall the name off, thats gone a few years as well.

And of course Peter France on Broad street. Funny I never heard of anyone buying anything in Peter France which is presumably why there was always a sale on in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

John Michael menswear Michael street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Another vote for Gregs. Also try Fitz U on the Quay. Got a lovely suit there recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

nipper1 wrote: »
    I arrived in a very quiet Waterford city yesterday afternoon to buy a suit for my daughters communion. I was dismayed to see the city so so quiet.Have a lot of shops closed since the new year ?

Gregory's Menswear on Patrick Street is your only man. A gent to deal with.

Any of the places mentioned above will be your best best.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

old gregg wrote: »
    Any of the places mentioned above will be your best best.
    +1 for Greg here! Doc Fitz too.

Advertisement