Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add disks to RAID5

Options
  • 20-02-2013 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I would like to add two more disks to a 4-drive RAID5 array. The machine is a Dell PE2800 and the controller is a PERC 4e/Di.

Reading some forums I am seeing conflicting info. Some have said they have done this in Windows using Array Manager without any problem, others say it can only be done on the card, while others say it cannot be done at all without breaking the RAID. Can anyone confirm the have expanded the capacity without having to break the array?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Can you post versions of firmware, drivers and OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2, Driver Version 6.41.2.32, Firmware Version 516A. Thanks.

Anyone ever expand a RAID in Windows and could offer any tips/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Is the server critical/essential to your business which needs to be up and running 24/7? If not then take a full backup, test the backup, plug in the disks and see what the array controller utility under the OS lets you do. If that's a no-go then reboot it and try again under the bios.

If it is critical/essential then consider bringing in an external supplier to offload the risk.

I went at this over the weekend.

Got the new disk added using the Dell Array Manager:

247594.jpg

Rescanned disks in Windows Disk Management and the new disk is there as unallocated space:

247595.jpg

I want to extend the D: drive onto this new space. MS says to use diskpart: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

However, diskpart does not see the unallocated space.

Can I create a new partition using Disk Management and then use the Extend Partition facility to extend the D: drive onto the new partition? Or if I create a new partition and assign a drive letter will diskpart see the drive then?

Need to have this up and running by the morning.

• Advertisement

I used EaseUs Partition Manager. Click, click, clickety, click... done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Think you may be stuck as the system drive is on the same volume as the partition you want to extend. Be careful using partition managers if you go down that route as they can and do go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Grab a copy of PartedMagic and boot of it.

There are a few tools on it to extend your current partition into the free space.
    But make sure your have a FULL BACKUP WHICH YOU HAVE TESTED by restoring to another drive/server before you do anything. And do by doubly save take another backup after and make sure it's on something not attached to the Server.

EaseUs worked well. No problems today yet anyway.

Advertisement