Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE to usb cable?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 2:43pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The OH has an old hard drive that he needs to get some information off. is it possible to get an ide to usb cable that I can plug into the hard drive, then into my laptop and have it show up as an external device that I can then pull the information from?

if it is, where is the best (preferably bricks and mortar) place to get one? I'm in Dublin.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not a cable so much as an enclosure. You should be able to pick one up cheap enough, but I'm not sure about brick and mortar shops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can get External caddy's in PC world. Saw a few that'd take IDE HDDs in Blanch. Vaguely recall seeing something similar in Maplins before without an enclosure as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Many thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Off to Blanch later so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF its a pc drive, 3.5inch size,
    you,ll need a enclosure 3.5 inch ,with a power supply.
    ie usb power not enough.cost 30 euro approx.

a 2.5 drive, ide, a usb powered, enclosure should be ok.
    cost 12 euro approx,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

riclad wrote: »
    IF its a pc drive, 3.5inch size,
    you,ll need a enclosure 3.5 inch ,with a power supply.
    ie usb power not enough.cost 30 euro approx.

a 2.5 drive, ide, a usb powered, enclosure should be ok.
    cost 12 euro approx,

Picked one up in pcworld this evening, 3.5 inch €20.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the advice again :)

Advertisement