Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eflow unable to take payment on Google Chrome

Options
  • 20-02-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,
    I have tried to pay a current Eflow fine using Google Chrome browser and there appears to be a fault in processing the request from Eflow.
    I've contacted them by email & Twitter and they have said the following
    We can confirm that our website is compatible with the Safari, Opera and Google Chrome browsers. Depending on the settings of your computer, you may experience some display issues but this should not affect functionality.

For best results, we recommend using the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer.

However since receiving the email the fault still persists (when you click 'pay citation' after filling in the relevant details the page just opens again) with the page URL: https://csc.eflow.ie/violationprocess/violationSignOn.aspx

I want to pay the fine, however I will only pay it using the Google Chrome browser. It doesn't state anywhere in the T&C that Firefox or Internet Explorer are the preferred or requisite browsers.
    Let's assume I can use no other route of payment... I'm currently immobile in a dark room with no telephone and only access to the internet using Chrome so how do I pay if their site will not accept payment????
    Is the onus on them to fix their website to take payment?

I am running Google Chrome on a PC, XP PRO, Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m
    also on a MacBook Pro, OS X v 10.6.8, Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

F_ONeill wrote: »
    I want to pay the fine, however I will only pay it using the Google Chrome browser.

Why? Any particular reason?
    You could just use IE (in Windows) or Safari (on a Mac), pay the fine and move on.

Or call them over the phone and they can take your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Is the onus on them to fix their website to take payment?

I really doubt it. Considering there are multiple free browsers available to anyone and they have given you their preferred browsers.

Maybe check if you have any extensions that could be messing with the process.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not seeing the issue here,

They give recommendations and even though you even have Safari to use you are still being stubborn and saying you'll only pay via chrome.

Pay move on, this isn't a consumer issue, this is you being stubborn...you won't win this battle...mainly because its pointless.

Your silly example of what happens if you only have chrome is nonsense, sure I could give an example of if I live in a cave and I have no internet or phone how do I pay? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 F_ONeill

Nice reply Cunning. Sadly it was an extension. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What extension out of interest? Have similar issues sometimes with Chrome (on other websites)

• Advertisement

That's not a very clever reply Cabaal. The issue is now resolved by Cunning Alias (thanks... I suppose).
    Of course it would have been a consumer issue if they couldn't take payment from inside Chrome. However in this instance it's not so it's not but to dispense nonsense advice isn't helpful... and you're a moderator?

Can't say. I have approx. 15 running. Just turned them all off and hey presto I could pay. Brilliant

• Company Representative Posts: 62 Verified rep eFlow: Reps

Hi All

I have checked with our I.T. Department and our website is compatible with Chrome and all other commonly used browsers e.g. Internet Explorer and Firefox.

If you are still experiencing difficulties I would advise to give us a quick call on out Lo-Call number 1890-50-10-50 and an agent can process the payment over the phone.

You can also sign up for an account for automatic payment if you choose.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Standing by if you need me,
    Colm

• Company Representative Posts: 62 Verified rep eFlow: Reps

Glad to hear it has been sorted for you, if you have any further queries just drop me line!

Colm

Cabaal wrote: »

Your silly example of what happens if you only have chrome is nonsense, sure I could give an example of if I live in a cave and I have no internet or phone how do I pay? :rolleyes:

I was making a hypothetical supposition dependant on only having one method of payment available 'Chrome' which is reasonable and not as you rudely suggest 'silly'. If you live in a cave it's unlikely you're on a postal route so would never have received the notice in the first place.
    It's unhelpful to shoot down an argument because you perceive it to be 'silly' or 'pointless', as a moderator I feel that's something you should take on board.
    All the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

However in this instance it's not so it's not but to dispense nonsense advice isn't helpful... and you're a moderator?

He is not a moderator in this forum. Therefore his status in providing advice is the same as everyone else.

TBH - I do think that you are exaggerating this. It's a defect with the extension and eFlow cannot be expected to support all plug-ins, extensions etc.

If you have Chrome, then you have an internet connection, so you probably will have Skype or a telephone line. They do have a phone line where you can pay the fine. So to say that only one method of payment is open to you is very unlikely.

Dudara that's correct, it was an issue with an extension which Cunning Alias helpfully pointed out.
    Cabaal dismissed the issue out of hand because they perceived it to be 'silly'. Which is both unhelpful and rude. I would expect a higher level of moderation on a post from a 'moderator' regardless if their category is ladies underwear or consumer issues.

The purpose of setting out the argument dependant only on one form of payment was to force the issue and for you to dwell on the supposition and suggest using Skype or a telephone line is missing the point as widely as your companion.

I would expect a higher level of moderation on a post from a 'moderator' regardless if their category is ladies underwear or consumer issues.

Let me reiterate - he was not modding when he replied.

I think we're going to have to differ on our views on this. To suggest that only one method of payment is open to you in this modern day is highly unlikely. I don't think you'll get much traction from posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

How silly. Even in your scenario where you only have access to the internet via Chrome, then you could use Chrome to download IE or FF ;)

dudara wrote: »
    Let me reiterate - he was not modding when he replied.

So when Cabaal is not 'modding' he can be as rude as he pleases with impunity from Boards. Nice attitude.
    I think we're going to have to differ on our views on this. To suggest that only one method of payment is open to you in this modern day is highly unlikely. I don't think you'll get much traction from posters.

Once more.
    I put forward the argument relying on one form of payment to force the issue regarding what I mistakenly saw as a flaw in Eflows ability to take payment from Google Chrome browser but with no clear indication in their T&C regarding preferred browser platform. For you to narrow your perspective on the argument to focus entirely on the issue of alternate methods of payment is short sighted at best.
    To put this another way (and perhaps eFlow: Reps might answer because your grasp on the argument is poor) say I went into an accredited Payzone retail shop to pay a fine and their machine did not work. I tried 20 Payzone shops and none of the machines worked, I get up the following day and the same happens. Let's say I could prove these excursions.
    So the method of payment I chose was Payzone and it failed repeatedly. How can the fine be imposed if my chosen method of payment fails not through my own fault but through the fault of the provider? As a customer of Eflow there are options available to me regarding payment but if I choose an option and it fails (repeatedly) why and under what obligation am I under to choose an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

So when Cabaal is not 'modding' he can be as rude as he pleases with impunity from Boards. Nice attitude.

Once more.
    I put forward the argument relying on one form of payment to force the issue regarding what I mistakenly saw as a flaw in Eflows ability to take payment from Google Chrome browser but with no clear indication in their T&C regarding preferred browser platform. For you to narrow your perspective on the argument to focus entirely on the issue of alternate methods of payment is short sighted at best.
    To put this another way (and perhaps eFlow: Reps might answer because your grasp on the argument is poor) say I went into an accredited Payzone retail shop to pay a fine and their machine did not work. I tried 20 Payzone shops and none of the machines worked, I get up the following day and the same happens. Let's say I could prove these excursions.
    So the method of payment I chose was Payzone and it failed repeatedly. How can the fine be imposed if my chosen method of payment fails not through my own fault but through the fault of the provider? As a customer of Eflow there are options available to me regarding payment but if I choose an option and it fails (repeatedly) why and under what obligation am I under to choose an alternative?

The difference there is eFlow have contracted out to Payzone to accept payments on their behalf. I doubt that eFlow have a contract with Google to ensure that payments are accepted using Chrome.

Right - now you're beginning to frame your question in a better form.

Personally, if one method of payment failed, I would then move to an alternative. I think it's up the debtor to make the effort to pay. There are several (readily accessible) avenues available, so the debtor should try to exhaust those first. I'm not sure how this works legally, but taking a common sense view puts the onus on the debtor.

If you get to the scenario where no payments can be made (via any method), then it's probably likely that eFlow's systems are down, and their emergency contingency plans should be activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Your whole argument is flawed in that it wasn't eFlow's fault, it was yours (or your extensions). To argue they should have to take payment through a particular browser is also flawed. Your hypothetical is really flawed, if you were in that (unlikely) situation you could download another browser.

Personally, if one method of payment failed, I would then move to an alternative. I think it's up the debtor to make the effort to pay. There are several (readily accessible) avenues available, so the debtor should try to exhaust those first. I'm not sure how this works legally, but taking a common sense view puts the onus on the debtor.

This is the nub of the argument. With respect Dudara (and I do appreciate you trying to answer the question) I'm not interested in your personal response nor in you 'thinking' the burden of responsibility lies with the receiver of the fine. I am interested in the real and actual legality of the situation. I feel the answer lies in the text of the fine notice. In which you're given 3 choices, it doesn't state anywhere on the notice if your chosen method of payment fails, to try the other two. Common sense may dictate the obvious but common sense has no place in exact instruction, also... sadly I was born with no common sense.
    Again I'd like eFlow: rep to come in here with an answer please. (to the first assertion not the second, there is no answer to that)

At this point, I think your argument is gone beyond eFlow and has moved into the legal realm. I'll move this to the Legal Discussion forum.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

At this point, I think your argument is gone beyond eFlow and has moved into the legal realm. I'll move this to the Legal Discussion forum.

dudara

Ah, I wish you hadn't. There's enough nonsense here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

I agree. Ops whole scenario is silly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

This is the nub of the argument. With respect Dudara (and I do appreciate you trying to answer the question) I'm not interested in your personal response nor in you 'thinking' the burden of responsibility lies with the receiver of the fine. I am interested in the real and actual legality of the situation. I feel the answer lies in the text of the fine notice. In which you're given 3 choices, it doesn't state anywhere on the notice if your chosen method of payment fails, to try the other two. Common sense may dictate the obvious but common sense has no place in exact instruction, also... sadly I was born with no common sense.
    Again I'd like eFlow: rep to come in here with an answer please. (to the first assertion not the second, there is no answer to that)

The law is not decided. If you really want an answer, don't pay the fine, get summoned to court and pay your solicitor 50k to have the issue trashed out in the high court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sounds like going to a shop, trying to buy something with your credit card, cc machine not working so you think you deserve the item for free.

Advertisement