Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant tubes on the Carlisle Pier

Options
  • 20-02-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen them or know what they are? are we entering the space race or making nuclear bombs??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Guinness vats, why they used dun laoighre I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

According to the man on the radio they didn't come via Dublin Port because of bridge clearance problems on the route.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ted1 wrote: »
    Guinness vats, why they used dun laoighre I don't know.

Possibly berthing costs? Maybe DL are finally starting to get pro-active in seeking business

EDIT: never mind, explanation above. What bridge do you have from Dublin Port but not Dun Laoghaire, the Loop Line is the only one I can think of.

Kind of makes sense, but I doubt these has being the only high delivery since 1988

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

1 million pints of Guinness!

Reminds me of the old joke "your uncle drowned in a vat of Guinness, six men tried to save him, but he fought them off bravely!"

Guinness posted pictures of them on Facebook by the way.

Yeah, I was trying to think of what the clearance problem was myself, but that was what he said on the RTE morning news the other day. Mind you, he was from marketing . . .

Maybe there's some issue getting the length of the vessel around 90 degree bends to get over the bridges? Although it's not like there's a whole lot of straight lines between DL & Dublin so maybe that wasn't it.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The first few are moving tonight (Feb 26th) from 10 p.m. The rest will move on the nights of March 5th, 19th & 26th.

The route the convoy will take is as follows:

Dún Laoghaire Harbour – Monkstown Crescent – Rock Road – Merrion Road – Shelbourne Road – Grand Canal Street Upper- Clanwilliam Place - Mount Street Lower - Merrion Square North - Clare Street - Contra Flow will be in place on Leinster Street South - Nassau Street – Grafton Street Lower and College Green. Convoy will then continue along Westmorland Street – Aston Quay – continue along South Quays and enter the Diageo Plant at Victoria Quay.

http://pmlivedrive.blogspot.ie/

It's be great if they used a heavy lifting helicopter or actual fabricate them on site

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    It's be great if they used a heavy lifting helicopter or actual fabricate them on site

'I'm a brewer, not an engineer Jim'

• Advertisement

Having seen then trundle by last night I think the clearance might have been width (they're spherical so the same width/height when on their side on a low loader) related as much as any length or height. They weren't exactly struggling to get through traffic lights without hitting stuff in the middle of the road but you wouldn't try fitting them through a gap in a hurry. There may well have been some narrow parts of the route from the port up towards Guinness.

I hope nobody on the Air Coach last night which was following them (at 10kmph or so) along the Rock Road was tight on time for getting to the airport.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

zagmund wrote: »
    they're spherical so the same width/height when on their side on a low loader

They're cylindrical, not spherical.

6915B2122263402FA177E51D0A741D96-0000321176-0003174346-00500L-E6A6E4E13C84415089034DD2CC97EB60.jpg

Apparently the journey from Dun Laoghaire Harbour to James' Gate took 4.5 hrs. Speedy!

Have you nothing f'ing better to do with your time?

z
    coylemj wrote: »
    They're cylindrical, not spherical.

6915B2122263402FA177E51D0A741D96-0000321176-0003174346-00500L-E6A6E4E13C84415089034DD2CC97EB60.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Apparently the journey from Dun Laoghaire Harbour to James' Gate took 4.5 hrs. Speedy!

A solid 4-8Kph was the speed they were moving! (When they actually were moving) I went out to look at them going past, and it literally took and age. It was very start stop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The next shipment is coming in Sunday PM if all goes to plan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Just looking at marine traffic.....it looks to be this ship, the Keizersborg ..en route to the harbour.

b9f32c57-eafc-443d-8200-72ab978e73f2_zps9f58191c.jpg

Keizersborg is indeed docked and unloading what looks like another 8 silos today. Thats gonna be one big brewery!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Keizersborg is indeed docked and unloading what looks like another 8 silos today. Thats gonna be one big brewery!

I for one, support Our new brewery overlords...

Advertisement