Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for 3 outside plant pots

• 20-02-2013 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

I ain't got much of a clue so looking for some simple suggestions for potting up 3 existing outside empty plant pots: South facing. What and when?

Also, are there any flowers I could be buying now to plant in garden or is it too early yet?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Um IsNot AnAnsa

Oh well. I'll ask for suggestions at the Garden Centre then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Difficult to suggest without knowing size of pot.

Mea culpa:o Large and deep, 16" Diameter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Camelias grow really well in pots and should have buds on them now if you buy them. Azaleas do well also and perhaps a blueberry bush ?

shawnee wrote: »
    Camelias grow really well in pots and should have buds on them now if you buy them. Azaleas do well also and perhaps a blueberry bush ?

Thanks Shawnee, I just checked out photos of them, they look lovely. I'll be giving them a go.

(I didn't know what the flowers would look like in bloom when you see them in the garden centres).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks Shawnee, I just checked out photos of them, they look lovely. I'll be giving them a go.

(I didn't know what the flowers would look like in bloom when you see them in the garden centres).

Nice plant that can grow 6 x 6 meters each way.;)

Check for a nice root ball and Prune it after it has flowered.:)

Dont forget to use ericaceous (acidic) potting compost when you are planting into its new pot.

Aldi were recently selling nice Camellias for 7 euro.

Lidl had bigger ones for 12 euro too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The lidl and aldi camellias are the bog standard pink ones in flower at the moment (well the one across the road in the sun is, mine is always about 2 weeks behind). They are perfectly nice shrubs, though they get big and the flowers hang on and go dead looking, but the foliage is good. They would be too big for pots.

These common ones do not need ericaceous soil, they will grow happily in ordinary garden soil.

looksee wrote: »
    The lidl and aldi camellias are the bog standard pink ones in flower at the moment (well the one across the road in the sun is, mine is always about 2 weeks behind). They are perfectly nice shrubs, though they get big and the flowers hang on and go dead looking, but the foliage is good. They would be too big for pots.

These common ones do not need ericaceous soil, they will grow happily in ordinary garden soil.

White in Aldi/Lidl,Coolock......(Camellia Japonica)

Recently bought 2 of them from Aldi...lovely condition indeed.:)

Planted them with ericaceous/acidic compost.

You could allways buy this pink 1 in Woodies for 60 euro.

Still some left in Aldi this afternoon.

3 large ones left in Lidl in Coolock this evening.

Advertisement