Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn cutting

Options
  • 20-02-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, have ye started cutting lawns yet or is it too early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sy view is that there is still too much frost around and almost certainly too damp.

Early March should be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I cut our grass a couple of times since Christmas.

However, that was usng a very lightweight mower that I have specifically for that purpose, I wouldn't go using my big pro walkbehind mower because it wieghs too much, and I haven't started cutting customer's lawns yet because of the wet conditions.

We are in the west btw and don't have too much frost, never had a problem cutting grass in England though in the winter used to do one customer on Christmas Eve and my own for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tbernie07

Monkeynuz do u put on lawn feed this time of the year?

Best wait until march for that although march isn't far away now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tbernie07

What do u put on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I service a couple of mowers from hone and I've had a good few since the beginning of the month. And a lot Of calls the dry spell gets lads itching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

I mowed my lawn on monday you are supposed to give it a cut on the highest setting for the first cut of the year and let the clippings lie on it as it will feed it for ya. I also have some weed feed and moss killer but that has to wait until mid march or the last frost but i,d imagine you could mow away the lawn was lookin a bit tacky long bits here and there looks so much better now with it cut and the sides trimmed away i,d normally use the snowdrops blooming as an indication for the first cut and they are out now so imo work away.

tbernie07 wrote: »
    What do u put on it?

General spring lawn feed available at most garden centres and DIY temples.

madchild wrote: »
    I mowed my lawn on monday you are supposed to give it a cut on the highest setting for the first cut of the year and let the clippings lie on it as it will feed it for ya.

Although only leave the clippings if you have a mulching mower otherwise the thick trail of clippings from a standard rotary mower will knacker the grass.

And if you are using a mulcher only take 1/2 an inch off otherwise it will clog too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Although only leave the clippings if you have a mulching mower otherwise the thick trail of clippings from a standard rotary mower will knacker the grass.

And if you are using a mulcher only take 1/2 an inch off otherwise it will clog too much.

There is really no point in putting out fertilizer while there is frost or cold as it will not work in those conditions and will be wasted. Needs growth like temperatures. No problem with taking the top of the lawn at this time as long as you are not promised really severe frost.

• Advertisement

shawnee wrote: »
    There is really no point in putting out fertilizer while there is frost or cold as it will not work in those conditions and will be wasted. Needs growth like temperatures. No problem with taking the top of the lawn at this time as long as you are not promised really severe frost.

considering it is above 5-7 degrees, then growth has started. feed in march give a cut now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My neighbours have been cutting theirs,I usually wait 'till it reaches the window cill.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

considering it is above 5-7 degrees, then growth has started. feed in march give a cut now.

Severe frost forecast for the weekend, I'd be waiting.

cotton wrote: »

Severe frost forecast for the weekend, I'd be waiting.

Obviously my years of experience count for nothing lol.

I'll keep doing it my way and getting paid for the results lol.

If grass has been cut this week it will be fine by the weekend. And don't forget it depends where in the country you live, I am in the very south west, but would have still cut grass in the uk this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Frost wont kill the grass anyway or harm it too much after cutting unless you decide to scalp the hell out of it, cut away lads is what I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Well I'll obviously bow to experience! So do you think it's an old wives tale about ruining the grass if cut now? I'd love to cut my grass but said wives tale is holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

cotton wrote: »
    Well I'll obviously bow to experience! So do you think it's an old wives tale about ruining the grass if cut now? I'd love to cut my grass but said wives tale is holding me back.

Have a C&G in horticulture and a Nat Cert in horticulture. Yep we learnt all about what damage frost can do to flowers, shrubs, lawns etc, best time to cut, prune etc, also learnt that a tree MUST be planted in a m2 hole. If id have followed all the rules id have gone bankrupt in my 21 years of landscaping and ground maintenance. Never once have I killed or even damaged a lawn by cutting it before a frost. We were also taught the correct way to prune roses, using secateurs and being very gentle with cutting just above a node, slight angle and all that carry on, after leaving college I got a job with a very well known and successful grounds maintenance firm, they used to maintain a cemetery with thousands of roses, how did we prune them..... with hedge cutters run across the whole lot about a foot above ground, every year they gave the most spectacular show of flowers. There are a lot of silly do's and don'ts but they are not all gospel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Obviously my years of experience count for nothing lol.

I'll keep doing it my way and getting paid for the results lol.

If grass has been cut this week it will be fine by the weekend. And don't forget it depends where in the country you live, I am in the very south west, but would have still cut grass in the uk this time of year.

Also depends on the garden orientation ie if it is is North facing will be behind a south facing garden in terms of growth.

A lot depends on the amount of sun it gets.

Cut mine yesterday:eek:

Advertisement