Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House full of access points - how to use?

• 20-02-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Need some help please,

I'm installing a UPC bundle tonight in the new house. The house has access points (cable and network) in all of the rooms, with a junction box in the attic. THe home pc is going into one of the rooms upstairs and I'm trying to figure out how I can hardwire it to my router while having the router downstairs in the living room - can this be done using access points/junction box?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

"Hardwire" it? Do you mean connect it by ethernet?

UPC usually assume you're going to be connecting your PCs to the router via Wi-Fi TBH. But there are four ethernet ports on the back of the router I have so that may do the job for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Presuming that the access points are set up properly to your router you'll need to just use one of the ethernet ports on the upc router to link to the 'internet' port of the router. Then just put the upc router into bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if all you want is to connect one PC to the router via cabling (and use Wi-Fi for laptops and handheld devices) then the simplest way to do it is to patch the port near the PC to the port beside the router, that means that you get a short (1m or less) Ethernet cable (known as a patch cable), bring it to the attic and use it to directly connect the port coming from the PC wall point to the point coming from the point beside the router. Then connect one of the four Ethernet ports on the back of the router to the network wall point and connect the Ethernet port on the PC to the network wall point nearby.

That would bypass the hub if there is one, you would then have the PC connected directly to the router. If you want the other ports around the house to be live and connected to the router then you would have to use the hub and that would be more complicated, maybe some posters who know more about networks could help you if that's what you want but if the PC is the only device you want to be directly connected then I'd go as above and let everything else connect via Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

Perfect - thanks folks.

That patch cable sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Advertisement