Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacks in Ongar lead to warnings for local Mothers

Options
  • 20-02-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

In case anybody hasnt seen this I thought I would post it,Seen it posted by David Mc Guinness on his website http://www.davidmcguinness.ie/

‘Between 9.00 am and 12.00 noon appear to be the main times for attacks’

Ongar Councillor David McGuinness has echoed calls by public-health nurses in Dublin 15 for women out walkingto be extra careful during morning strolls in the Ongar region after a spate of assaults on local women. Parents were advised of this during a mother and baby group discussion that took place in Ongar Community Centre today and parents reported directly to Councillor McGuinness.
    “It may seem like some people are prepared to go to any lengths to victimise members of our community these days. I am deeply shocked that parents are being told to be extra vigilant during mid-morning strolls. Thankfully, community nurses have taken the lead in advising people to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious activity to local Gardai,” said McGuinness.
    “A detailed description of the assailant has been passed onto Blanchardstown Garda Station and it is in every family’s interest to ensure this situation is not allowed to grow. In the meantime, I plead that all residents in the Ongar community look out for their fellow neighbours and take extra precautions in light of these warnings. Will all have a role in the building of a safe and secure community” concluded McGuinness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Thanks for posting. Will be re thinking the morning walks

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

No problem heard it was handbags and phones he was after. Hopefully it wont take to long for him to be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Does anyone have the detailed description? Any pattern of locations? It'll reach more households on here than it will through the Gardaí

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

which kind of attacks? in which area?
    I am not a mother with child but I am walking a lot with my dog..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pepe1

<snip>
    Be aware that some attacks involved knife. Vicious attacks are usually carried out on women or women with small kids in buggies or prams.
    Please do report any incidents to Gardai.
    It is believed that number of attacks have never been reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

pepe1, have you any evidence to support the description you just posted? If not, I will be deleting your post.

My wife was one of the victims:(

I'm very sorry to hear that, I hope she's ok.

However, unless there's an official description issued by the Gardaí I can't allow the description to stay. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

pepe1 wrote: »
    <snip>
    Be aware that some attacks involved knife. Vicious attacks are usually carried out on women or women with small kids in buggies or prams.
    Please do report any incidents to Gardai.
    It is believed that number of attacks have never been reported.

Seems a very brave scumbag.

Hootanany wrote: »

Seems a very brave scumbag.
    He attacks in AM hours when most of men are at work.

• Advertisement

That's what I was saying very brave when most of there partners are at work.
    I hope he is caught very quickly and a long long sentence as well.
    Sorry to hear about your Wife I hope she is Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Pepe1 hope your wife is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Our friends friend was attacked in Ongar - it happened ~2 months ago on that long straight dark road closed for traffic between first roundabout from clonee to ongar and manorfields estate. - Am hours, she was going back from the creche.

nothing happened to her physically but she lost phone and handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

pity zaph for some silly reason wont allow a description be posted,an unofficial description is better than nothing so atleast I can give the misses some sort of heads up as to which kind of people to be watching out for on her strolls

triple-M wrote: »
    pity zaph for some silly reason wont allow a description be posted,an unofficial description is better than nothing so atleast I can give the misses some sort of heads up as to which kind of people to be watching out for on her strolls

True a description would be great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

triple-M wrote: »

It's not a silly reason at all, it's a logical reasoned decision.
    Posting an unverified description of the alleged attacker would just be a bad idea all round.
    If you have a problem with a moderator's decision, pm them please - do not grumble about it on-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Reading between the lines here, and from what I have heard elsewhere - is the reason the description has been taken down because the suspect person's skin colour is not white?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Nah it's site policy.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Reading between the lines here, and from what I have heard elsewhere - is the reason the description has been taken down because the suspect person's skin colour is not white?

Regardless of whether the person mentioned was white, black, Asian or purple with blue polka dots, the description would still have been removed without an official description from the Gardaí. We're not in the business of labelling people as suspects in a crime without proper evidence. Doing so is irresponsible and could also hamper any official investigation currently taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

robbie000 wrote: »
    In case anybody hasnt seen this I thought I would post it,Seen it posted by David Mc Guinness on his website http://www.davidmcguinness.ie/

‘Between 9.00 am and 12.00 noon appear to be the main times for attacks’

Ongar Councillor David McGuinness has echoed calls by public-health nurses in Dublin 15 for women out walkingto be extra careful during morning strolls in the Ongar region after a spate of assaults on local women. Parents were advised of this during a mother and baby group discussion that took place in Ongar Community Centre today and parents reported directly to Councillor McGuinness.
    “It may seem like some people are prepared to go to any lengths to victimise members of our community these days. I am deeply shocked that parents are being told to be extra vigilant during mid-morning strolls. Thankfully, community nurses have taken the lead in advising people to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious activity to local Gardai,” said McGuinness.
    “A detailed description of the assailant has been passed onto Blanchardstown Garda Station and it is in every family’s interest to ensure this situation is not allowed to grow. In the meantime, I plead that all residents in the Ongar community look out for their fellow neighbours and take extra precautions in light of these warnings. Will all have a role in the building of a safe and secure community” concluded McGuinness.

Robbie, I have just looked at this thread over the weekend. Well done for highlighting it. I noted and have noted many 'likes' for different threads on this section of the forum and noted that no one has felt it necessary to like your original comments above, however I'll be the first.

Advertisement