Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shot Put Blues

• 20-02-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

I used to do the shot put and discus years ago and figured I might give the shot a go again as a way of getting in some exercise. Going to keep a log here to try to shame my lazy ass into doing some training ahead of the outdoor season.

My plan is to do weights twice a week and do drills and throws 4 days a week. Due to life being very much in the way, I can only train first thing in the morning. Instead of logging each session after I do it, I am going to write out my plan for the next morning's training and then update to say that I have completed it.

My theory is that by writing out exactly what I am going to do in public, I will be more likely to do it, as I will have mentally committed to it, and won't want to have to admit that I skipped it!

So, here we go.

Tomorrow I am going to do the following at 6.30 am.

Dry standing throws (empty handed)
    3 x 10

Standing throws (with shot)
    3 x 10

Dry right pivot drill
    3 x 10

Right pivot drill
    3 x 10

When I get into work, I will update to confirm that I did it.

Sorry to all you runners for barging in here, but I'm sure you can breeze gracefully past the grunting and thumping coming from this log.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Good to see something different here I say! I'll be keeping an eye on this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great to see a field event training log its exactly what the forum needs.

Agree with you that putting up training as a way of keeping you honest.

Out of interest where abouts are you training regarding throws first thing in the morning (especially as still not quite a full stretch in the mornings regarding light)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

ecoli wrote: »
    Great to see a field event training log its exactly what the forum needs.

Agree with you that putting up training as a way of keeping you honest.

Out of interest where abouts are you training regarding throws first thing in the morning (especially as still not quite a full stretch in the mornings regarding light)?

My garage. I have hung up a net which I throw into and I have an old mattress on the floor that the shot falls onto. It means I can also get a lot more volume in during a shorter space of time as I am not wasting time walking out to collect implements.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great to have something different to follow is right. Best of luck with the training. Getting up early to train is tough, glad it's you and not me:D

Dry standing throws (empty handed)
    3 x 10

Standing throws (with shot)
    3 x 10

Dry right pivot drill
    3 x 10

Right pivot drill
    3 x 10

Done.

3+
    Stands are getting more fluent
    Pivot improving
    Keeping eyes on ball resulting in better separation of upper body and lower body

3-
    Staying over right leg
    Over-rotating
    Upper body still too active

• Advertisement

Tomorrow: Weights.

I haven't lifted in a while. My usual pattern is to start off too heavy and then add weight at a frenetic pace, resulting in injuries after a few months, so I am going to start off with extremely light weights and work up more gradually. It will be a challenge for my ego if nothing else.

Mobility and Stability
    Clock Lunges
    Hurdle steps
    Aeroplanes

Dead Lift
    50 x 8
    60 x 8
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Elevated Split Squat
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8

Lateral V-Sits
    3 x 10 per side

Bench
    Bar x 8
    30 x 8
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5

Bent over BB row
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8

Hip dips
    3 x 10 per side

Hammer curls
    10 x 12
    10 x 12
    10 x 12
    10 x 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's an on-and-off throwers thread in the main forum that you might like to revive
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70439167

I think I have picked a stupid user name. Is there a way of changing it, or do I just close this account and open a new one?

RayCun wrote: »

Sorry, do you mind telling me what I do next? I've made a donation through paypal (I'm all about doing stuff to commit myself to this at the moment) but when I try to access this thread on becoming a subscriber it says I am not allowed.

• Advertisement

sorry, I don't know what to do next, I've never subscribed myself. Try PMing
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=52454
    he changed his username recently

Mobility and Stability
    Clock Lunges
    Hurdle steps
    Aeroplanes

Dead Lift
    50 x 8
    60 x 8
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Elevated Split Squat
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8

Lateral V-Sits
    3 x 10 per side

Bench
    Bar x 8
    30 x 8
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5

Bent over BB row
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 8

Hip dips
    3 x 10 per side

Hammer curls
    7.5 x 12
    7.5 x 12
    7.5 x 12
    7.5 x 12

Done.

Tomorrow:

Dry standing throws
    5 x 10

Standing throws
    5 x 10

Dry right pivot drill
    5 x 10

Right pivot drill
    5 x 10

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Brilliant log, I used to throw myself years ago (about 20 now:eek:)and have been saying for the last 3/4 years that I'd love to get back into it, maybe this thread will motivate me!
    Can I ask a couple of questions just out of pure nosiness?!
    What age did you throw?
    How well did you do?
    Why just the shot now or will you get back into discuss once you 'conqur' the shot?
    Your training plan- is it what you used to do (I can't remember a lot of the drills and the ones I can remember I can't remember why I done them) or did you get a plan from somewhere?
    Thanks and good luck!

madon wrote: »
    Brilliant log, I used to throw myself years ago (about 20 now:eek:)and have been saying for the last 3/4 years that I'd love to get back into it, maybe this thread will motivate me!
    Can I ask a couple of questions just out of pure nosiness?!
    What age did you throw?
    How well did you do?
    Why just the shot now or will you get back into discuss once you 'conqur' the shot?
    Your training plan- is it what you used to do (I can't remember a lot of the drills and the ones I can remember I can't remember why I done them) or did you get a plan from somewhere?
    Thanks and good luck!

Thanks! I threw until I was about 21, which was neither today nor yesterday. At schools level I was ok, in the top 3 in both events in my age group, but I gradually drifted away from it once I got to college. I flirted with picking it back up again a few times over the years but never really stuck at it.

I kind of put the training plan together myself. It's not really a strict plan, more a few guiding principles.
    • Focus on technique over strength
    • Do more drills than full throws
    • Do at least as many drills without an implement as with one.
    • Focus on learning the movement slowly and with perfect technique and let the fluency / speed / distance take care of itself
    I have picked a few drills that I am going to focus on exclusively after a lot of youtube watching - stuff from Didier Poppe, Mac Wilkins, John Powell. My weights program comes a gym I used to go to but that shut down a few years ago.

And that's it. We'll see how it goes. I might give the discus a go when it gets a bit warmer, but I'm going to focus on the shot just because I can train at home and don't have to worry about logistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Fantastic to see this log.

A few questions:

1) What are your PBs in the shot, discus, hammer and Javelin

2) With regards the shot and discus how much emphasis do you put on flat out 60m or 100m speed. I've heard (not sure how true) that Valerie Adams can run 100m in 13 secs, which for somebody her size is very impressive. They say the shot is the most explosive event in T&F so how much short sharp sprint work would you do?

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Fantastic to see this log.

A few questions:

1) What are your PBs in the shot, discus, hammer and Javelin

2) With regards the shot and discus how much emphasis do you put on flat out 60m or 100m speed. I've heard (not sure how true) that Valerie Adams can run 100m in 13 secs, which for somebody her size is very impressive. They say the shot is the most explosive event in T&F so how much short sharp sprint work would you do?

1) I honestly don't know. So long ago they are probably not relevant but I think around high 13 / low 14 in the shot and 42 - 44 in the discus. Never did the others.

2) I'm sure these are important in the overall development of a complete thrower, but I won't be focusing on them at this stage, or any time soon. It's a question of return on investment of time. I'm like someone taking up golf again. I need to get my swing (technique) sorted before I think about anything else. Strength work helps with this as it helps me to get into the positions I need to be in, but speed work is something I doubt I'll need to be thinking about for a long time.

I think you are right that elite throwers have very good sprint speed, and are much better all round athletes than people assume. E.g. Brian Oldfield famously beat the US women's 100m champion in the 100m, and The training videos I have seen of Valerie and Jacko Gill include a lot of sprints. I just think at lower levels, improving technique will deliver a much better bang for your buck, training wise.

Dry standing throws
    5 x 10

Standing throws
    5 x 10

Dry right pivot drill
    5 x 10

Right pivot drill
    5 x 10

Done. Will train tomorrow but no volume targets. Will attempt some video analysis of my technique

Done. Will train tomorrow but no volume targets. Will attempt some video analysis of my technique

Done. Quite an eye opener. Most significant revelation is that I am attempting to drive my hips too far to the left - over towards the left sector line. This is leading to my upper body flopping out towards the front and right sector line. I need to drive my hip in the direction of the throw, and let the upper body be pulled forward by the hip drive.

Also need to focus more on keeping eyes on the ball, and upper body back for as long as possible; and keeping right leg tight during right pivot drill.

Rest day tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Weights

Mobility and Stability
    Band Dislocates
    Scap Inverted Rows
    Wall Sweeps
    Overhead Squats with band

Back Squat
    20 x 8
    40 x 8
    65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5

Reverse Hyper
    10 x 8
    10 x 8
    10 x 8
    10 x 8

Plate sit up
    3 x 20 with 10k plate

Chin ups (Green and purple band)
    2 x 8
    5 x 5

Single Arm Push Press
    17.5 x 8
    17.5 x 8
    17.5 x 8
    17.5 x 8

DB Skull Crushers
    10s x 12
    10s x 12
    10s x 12
    10s x 12

Mobility and Stability
    Band Dislocates
    Scap Inverted Rows
    Wall Sweeps
    Overhead Squats with band

Back Squat
    20 x 8
    40 x 8
    65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5

Reverse Hyper
    10 x 8
    10 x 8
    10 x 8
    10 x 8

Alternating plate sit up
    3 x 20 with 10k plate

Chin ups
    Green and Purple band: 2 x 8
    Green band: 2 x 5
    Green and purple band: 3 x 5

Single Arm Push Press
    17.5 x 8
    17.5 x 8
    17.5 x 8
    17.5 x 8

Russian Twists
    3 x 10 each side with 5k plate

DB Skull Crushers
    10s x 12
    10s x 12
    10s x 12
    10s x 12

Done.

Tomorrow: Drills & throws

Dry stands: 5 x 10
    Stands: 5 x 10
    Dry right pivot: 5 x 10
    Right pivot: 5 x 10

• Advertisement

Dry stands: 5 x 10
    Stands: 5 x 10
    Dry right pivot: 5 x 10
    Right pivot: 5 x 10

Done.

3+
    Balance improving
    Delivery improving
    Timing improving

3-
    Not completing right pivot
    Left arm pull
    Hip strike

Tomorrow: Conditioning / Torture.

Stupidly agreed to do this with a friend as a challenge. This will be a once-off. Hope it doesn't knock me out of action afterwards.

HIIT - 10 minutes
    Rower. 30 seconds max effort / 30 seconds rest x 10

Work block - 15 minutes
    Caterpillar walk: 2 x 10m
    DB snatches: 5 each side
    Tuck jumps: 10

Done in continuous sequence for 15 minutes, aiming for as many rounds as possible

HIIT - 10 minutes

Work block - 15 minutes
    Box jump and turn: 10
    T pushups: 10
    Kettlebell upright rows: 10

Done in continuous sequence for 15 minutes, aiming for as many rounds as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

What sort of goals have you got for the summer season? Do you hope to compete at nationals?

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    What sort of goals have you got for the summer season? Do you hope to compete at nationals?

At the moment, my goals are just to learn the spin and not to get injured. Anything else is a bonus.

I might do the nationals if it looks like I would be in with a chance of at least making the cut. It depends on the standard, and how I am doing. I'll see closer to the time.

I will do the masters nationals (M35) for sure.

Actually I suppose having a concrete goal is a good idea. I'll set one that relates to consistency.

2013 Goal: No throws less than 12m in competition

Thanks for the inspiration!

HIIT - 10 minutes

Work block - 15 minutes
    Caterpillar walk: 2 x 10m
    DB snatches (15kg): 5 each side
    Tuck jumps: 10

5 rounds

HIIT - 10 minutes

Work block - 15 minutes
    Box jump and turn: 10
    T pushups: 10
    Upright rows (17kg): 10

7 rounds

Done. Nasty.

Tomorrow: Weights.

Mobility and Stability
    Clock Lunges
    Hurdle steps
    Aeroplanes

Dead Lift
    50 x 8
    65 x 8
    75 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5
    75 x 5

Elevated Split Squat
    25 x 8
    25 x 8
    25 x 8
    25 x 8

Lateral V-Sits
    3 x 10 per side

Bench
    Bar x 8
    40 x 8
    45 x 5
    45 x 5
    45 x 5
    45 x 5
    45 x 5

Bent over BB row
    30 x 8
    30 x 8
    30 x 8
    30 x 8

Hip dips
    3 x 10 per side

Hammer curls
    12.5 x 12
    12.5 x 12
    12.5 x 12
    12.5 x 12

Between Hurdles, Weights and indoor throwing net your Garage seems to have better facilities than many athletics clubs in this country :D

Between Hurdles, Weights and indoor throwing net your Garage seems to have better facilities than many athletics clubs in this country :D

Ha! I wish. :)

I do the weights and conditioning in a gym. The garage is definitely not a pretty sight. An old mattress that one of my kids had a few too many accidents on, and a net hanging from the rafters.

Ha! I wish. :)

I do the weights and conditioning in a gym. The garage is definitely not a pretty sight. An old mattress that one of my kids had a few too many accidents on, and a net hanging from the rafters.

Sure O Keefe had a throw circle and a used video. Didnt do here any harm ;)

• Advertisement

Sure O Keefe had a throw circle and a used video. Didnt do here any harm ;)

I don't think I'm quite in that league! But I reckon all throwers have to find ways to improvise around the lack of facilities / weather / coaching if they want to train at all.

There's a documentary about a Swedish discus thrower called Ricky Bruch that shows him throwing into nets in a basement somewhere, throwing in the snow wearing ten layers of clothes, and so on. He's in his late 30s as well, and attempting a comeback. It kind of gave me the notion.

It's on youtube in several parts. Well worth a watch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slzt2JA3zIs

Advertisement