Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Mac D's (Harold's Cross) closed....

Options
  • 20-02-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Just saw the other day that Sean Mac D's across from the hospice on Harolds Cross road was closed and a message online that it's closed.
    Anyone in the area hear anything about that? I know they had changed it all recently to The House that Jack built but didn't think it was going to close....:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Well that didn't last long. Its only open less than a year, is it not?

I don't see anywhere online that it says it is closed? Their facebook page doesn't mention it and there was a new event created yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Think it was there as Sean Mac D's a bit longer but not by much. Was good at the start, nice local but it's a huge space. Even opening the whole place up must have been expensive.
    Anyway, it needs to be changed inside and the location isn't great being on the main road. Even McGowans looks to be getting a slightly better crowd. Hope nothing happens to them.... I like that place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its gone sadly, i know one of the barmen very well. we all agree in the area that there are too many pubs for too few people. it all started going bad when the grove closed

The House that Jack Buuilt is gone? No way, sure it only just opened up the doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The House that Jack Buuilt is gone? No way, sure it only just opened up the doors!

What?! I was going to go there for a few pints tomorrow! Damn it :( I really like that place

• Advertisement

its gone sadly, i know one of the barmen very well. we all agree in the area that there are too many pubs for too few people. it all started going bad when the grove closed

Yeah, for a place that size it's unsustainable unfortuneatley. The rates alone must be colossal. But sad to see it happen. I really think it needs to be reformed into something else as it can't survive as a bar/restaurant.

PauloConn wrote: »
    Yeah, for a place that size it's unsustainable unfortuneatley.

Such a shame. That place had become our new local!

cosmic wrote: »
    Such a shame. That place had become our new local!

mc garrys is where the crossbar used to be, its a lovely pub

mc garrys is where the crossbar used to be, its a lovely pub

Does it do craft beers at all?

cosmic wrote: »
    Does it do craft beers at all?

no, rosies does a few, bottles only though

• Advertisement

McGowan's do a couple of bottles of craft beers as well. They might have some on tap, can't remember though....
    McGowan's is my local and really like it, great staff and food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I used to drink in Peggy Kelly's. tried Sean O'Ds a few times, was far too big and open to be comfortable. Feel for the management and staff though, hope they find new jobs soon.

Our new local is McGarry's where Crossbar used to be. New owners and staff very welcoming and have spent a few quid on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Our new local is McGarry's where Crossbar used to be. New owners and staff very welcoming and have spent a few quid on the place.

Is it still full of scrotes?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Is it still full of scrotes?

not now that the poker machine is gone. i worked in it for years, they have done a fine job on it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

not now that the poker machine is gone. i worked in it for years, they have done a fine job on it

Ah cool, you probably know Aofie Ni D**** did a bit of weekend work for the lads when it was Crossbar. I worked with her when she was with FXB's.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Ah cool, you probably know Aofie Ni D**** did a bit of weekend work for the lads when it was Crossbar. I worked with her when she was with FXB's.

maud gonne!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

devestated, only in there last weekend for dinner and pints, place was booked out for parties and all

only around the corner from me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Really liked the place since it was done up, but the food took a turn for the worst in the last few months. Hope someone else takes it over

Yeah, would be good to see someone take it over again but i'm not sure it's sustainable anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

rumour has it that the lads who own Against the Grain on Wexford Street are taking it over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

rumour has it that the lads who own Against the Grain on Wexford Street are taking it over...

Really? Well I guess they will be offering something slightly different in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hope so. Where did you hear that? When would they be opening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Those lads own the Brew Dock and The Black Sheep afaik too.

Yeah, they own the few in Dublin and another couple in Galway. Just not sure the location will give itself to having a crowd. Unless they do some work on the inside. And with McGowans open a while and having its own draw, is there enough business in HX for them all???
    Hope they give it a shot anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

How is McGowans' these days?

I like the place, the staff are very friendly and do have a chat with you which is the cornerstone of any local in my book. Also, food is good, they do few promotions and serve late. Doesn't get too mental most of the time but seen a few parties in there and seemed to look after them which is good. But they aren't afraid to not serve someone who is too drunk.... that gives them character
    But that was a falling down with Sean MacD's, the staff were too quiet and you need to chat to your customers when the place is quiet. Only 1 of the lads did that and the floor staff

Advertisement