Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan v Barca

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,666 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great win for AC Milan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Barca entered the kind of possession based performance that made it clear that they would have been content with 0-0. The first goal wrecks that, awful refereeing decision, Barca have to search for a goal and Milan score a second and give Barcelina a real task in the second leg.

However this is the greatest club team in the world, it may be the greatest team that football has ever had and it will be at the Camp Nou where a ferocious atmosphere is guaranteed. The great teams are that because of overcoming odds like these in games, Barcelona are more than a great team, I think they will prove it in the second leg.

Barca are a great side but let's not make excuses for them. As heroic as Milan were tonight, Barca were terrible and deserved their beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

No. A centre back more comfortable going forward with the ball at his feet trying to start attacks but fairly suspect when it comes to the art of defending.

I'm sorry though. I forgot it's against the rules to criticise a Barca/Spanish player

Actually the way you seem to rate Pique is a bit ridiculous so obviously it is going to be jumped on. He is hardly some youth player trying to find his feet, or some journeyman who just happens to have found himself at the heart of the Barcelona and Spanish defence. He is one of the finest centre backs in world football and has been for a very long time. This is a guy who has been at the heart of 3 La Liga, 2 Copa Del Rey, 2 Champions League's, 2 World Club Championships, 2 European Championships and a World Cup. On top of a host of individual honors (thank you Wikipedia). Hardly a coincidence, he is a top class centre back, of that there can't be any question.

Blatter wrote: »
    Barca are a great side but let's not make excuses for them. As heroic as Milan were tonight, Barca were terrible and deserved their beating.

Personally I dont agree. One team tried to play football tonight, the other stuck 10 men behind the ball and got a ridiculous decision in their favour that turned the game. The San Siro pitch was hardly doing any favours to the team trying to play football either.

That's not to say that Milan weren't well organised and well drilled, of course they were and there were some impressive performances on the Milan side but I'd much rather applaud a team that try to play than one that comes to park the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Piqué and Ramos are two of the most overrated CB's in football.

But shhhhhh you'll offend the football hipsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

anyone notice Messi going at the last cross of the game with his hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mitosis wrote: »

In fairness, if I hooked up with Shakira I wouldn't be able to walk at all.....
    Yea, she's a rare one with that strap-on... So I hear.

Actually the way you seem to rate Pique is a bit ridiculous so obviously it is going to be jumped on. He is hardly some youth player trying to find his feet, or some journeyman who just happens to have found himself at the heart of the Barcelona and Spanish defence. He is one of the finest centre backs in world football and has been for a very long time. This is a guy who has been at the heart of 3 La Liga, 2 Copa Del Rey, 2 Champions League's, 2 World Club Championships, 2 European Championships and a World Cup. On top of a host of individual honors (thank you Wikipedia). Hardly a coincidence, he is a top class centre back, of that there can't be any question.

He was a top class centre back (for Barcelona and Spain, not any other team) but not any more. He's been well below par over the last 2 years. Listing the trophies he's won doesn't prove he's anything on it's own. I reckon those trophies had more to do with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets than Pique, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

No. A centre back more comfortable going forward with the ball at his feet trying to start attacks but fairly suspect when it comes to the art of defending.

With the style of play Barcelona have they need 10 players who can play with their feet . They have always been abit suspect at the back .
    Valdes could be a contender for worst keeper in the knockout stages . Pique is a liability when it comes to defending but is good at going forward . Puyol would be a player I like and is a fairly solid defender . Danny Alves is a more of a right winger then a right back . Jordi Alba is a fairly solid player with a big future ahead of him .
    As shown again tonight you will never out play so you have to be more dogged and not give them time or space to hurt you . Thats when you can pick on their vulnerabilities at the back . But you have to put in a team shift like Ac Milan did tonight .

Honestly I don't know how to post pics on this forum but if I did then there would be a facepalm pic here where these words are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

MD1990 wrote: »
    anyone notice Messi?
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Nope.

Ha ha ha wp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2151:
    AC Milan 2-0 Barcelona
    Barcelona defender Gerard Pique: "It's a really bad result. We played badly and can't make any excuses. When they scored the first we lost control. This is a difficult place to play and Milan are a club with a big history.

"We will obviously try to win the return game. We must improve and learn from tonight. We will look to respond on one of those magical nights at the Camp Nou."
    AC Milan goalscorer Sulley Muntari: "We listened to our coach, because he has been fantastic in the way he set us up. We were very disciplined on the pitch.

"Last week I was telling my wife I've played in the Champions League and never scored so I was very surprised and very happy with the goal and the win for the team. Playing in the Nou Camp you can win 5-0 [beforehand] and they can do crazy stuff because it's Barcelona and they have amazing players, but we will try to do well."

Honest enought opinions.

He was a top class centre back (for Barcelona and Spain, not any other team) but not any more. He's been well below par over the last 2 years.

Quite poor for Barcelona last season, had a stirring European Championships alongside Ramos for Spain, had an excellent start to this season at Barcelona, having reinvigorated himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Got Milan just under 7/1 on exchanges have bit of that to lay off of they take lead.

I waited 3 months for bet like this .

I will never have bad word to say about Milan or Super Mario again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Milan played well, Barcelona played poorly. As painful as it is to say, that statement true. We looked threatening for about 9 minutes of the 90, but Milan were well versed on how we play. Was it just me or was the San Siro pitch a bit cramped? We didn't seem to have any time with the ball comfortably in the second half at least. Milans second goal was pretty spectacular.

I'm about 45% confident we can match what they did to us tonight in 2 weeks. Sanchez needs to be dropped for it, he's not to the standard we need, no matter how far he runs. I'd much prefer Villa or Tello over him right now.

Personally I dont agree. One team tried to play football tonight, the other stuck 10 men behind the ball and got a ridiculous decision in their favour that turned the game. The San Siro pitch was hardly doing any favours to the team trying to play football either.

That's not to say that Milan weren't well organised and well drilled, of course they were and there were some impressive performances on the Milan side but I'd much rather applaud a team that try to play than one that comes to park the bus.

Milan attacked when they had the ball. Even take away the handball goal and they created several more opening than Barca did. Just because they defended unbelievably well when they didn't have the ball (every team that faces Barca have much less of the ball), doesn't mean they were negative. I wouldn't describe that performance by Milan as parking the bus, how can you when they got forward and attacked with purpose when they had the ball!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Milan attacked when they had the ball. Even take away the handball goal and they created several more opening than Barca did. Just because they defended unbelievably well when they didn't have the ball (every team that faces Barca have much less of the ball), doesn't mean they were negative. I wouldn't describe that performance by Milan as parking the bus, how can you when they got forward and attacked with purpose when they had the ball!?

And also won 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It never touched his hand by the way, watch it in slow motion, whacks off his head.

miralize wrote: »
    Milan played well, Barcelona played poorly. As painful as it is to say, that statement true. We looked threatening for about 9 minutes of the 90, but Milan were well versed on how we play. Was it just me or was the San Siro pitch a bit cramped? We didn't seem to have any time with the ball comfortably in the second half at least. Milans second goal was pretty spectacular.

I'm about 45% confident we can match what they did to us tonight in 2 weeks. Sanchez needs to be dropped for it, he's not to the standard we need, no matter how far he runs. I'd much prefer Villa or Tello over him right now.
    Villa & Tello won't start because there more selfish than Pedro or Sanchez & won't set up Messi as often

• Advertisement

Quite poor for Barcelona last season, had a stirring European Championships alongside Ramos for Spain, had an excellent start to this season at Barcelona, having reinvigorated himself.

Let's be honest, the centre backs for Spain have Xavi, Alonso and Busquets protecting them ridiculously well. I don't know how you conclude a centre back has put in world class performances when he's not tested to a reasonable level.

First half, set pieces aside, there was rarely more than 3 players being committed to attack the Barcelona penalty area when they had possession in and around the final third. They committed a few more in the second half after they scored their goal but the game changing goal comes because of a poor decision anyway.

We've seen Spain and Barcelona play with a more conservative slant to their possession game as they did tonight, sure if they had a chance to score then great but they would have been content with the draw and I thought their possession certainly warranted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Since Barca's change of manager they've definitely been off form. Granda, Betis, Sociedad to name but a few. That said even if they were on form I wouldn't haven't fancied them to beat Milan.

I love Allegri, I can't believe at the start of the season some people wanted to get rid of him. Last year, he almost one upped Pep tactically, (Mascherano definitely helped there :D). This year he schooled Roura. Roura simply didn't know where to position his players and it showed when Busquets and Xavi and Alves were quibbling about who should be where. I think there was another incident too with Xavi, Cesc and Alba. When he brought on Alexis, I knew Barca were fooked. Thiago or Tello would have been a much better choice.

I'm delighted for Milan and I hope they do the job in Camp Nou. They are a quality side and I hated the way people were dissing them before the tie. Honestly if Traore (sp?) had kept his head, there was a serious chance for a third goal which would have killed off the tie.

Oh and to anyone comparing this to Chelsea's performance : Not even close. Chelsea's defence was much poorer, they needed the woodwork and Petr Cech to survive. Not to mention Fabregas and Alexis both missed sitters. Tonight it was Inter Milan Mark II, Barca didn't even get a sniff. Fantastic defence.
    Not saying Chelsea didn't deserve it, but I think if I you were rate the defences it goes without saying that Milan were far more effective.

Also once again Ambrosini schools Messi. That guy is just brilliant.

The officiating was awful tonight. Milan were fortunate to score that first goal. But, I think they deserved the break. Second goal was beautifully worked. (Even if there was a suspicion of handball there too, I think.:o)

Honestly I don't know how to post pics on this forum but if I did then there would be a facepalm pic here where these words are.

Riiight and you think Piqué is a world class CB....

Honestly some people are too retarded to form their own opinions and because FIFA pick him out because he plays for a team that wins a lot he's automatically a top or world class player. Piqué isn't great defending but very good at bringing the ball out of defence. He's also as slow as they get as a professional footballer.

He's overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Milan took their chances while Barca didn't have many really. Don't know how the first goal was allowed though, UEFA can add all the extra officials they want but there useless if nobody sees anything. Milan's gameplan worked to a tee though, Barca kept trying to go through the middle and that was never going to work, especially as the game went on. Madness to say Barca are out now though, it'll be s different story at the Nou Camp, especially with the wider pitch. Is the San Siro always that tight? Could be just the camera angle or something tonight.

Let's be honest, the centre backs for Spain have Xavi, Alonso and Busquets protecting them ridiculously well. I don't know how you conclude a centre back has put in world class performances when he's not tested to a reasonable level.

Not been tested at a reasonable level? Did you miss the Euro's, Spain, playing a far less aggressive pressing game and with a deeper block than they normally play with (aside from the final when there was a very noticeable change in how aggressive the pressing was) were more than tested defensively and they came up trumps. In particular the Ramos/Pique partnership was top notch, really a joy for any football fan to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

miralize wrote: »
    Was it just me or was the San Siro pitch a bit cramped?

Just you.

It's exactly the same size as every other modern pitch in the world, even, shock horror the "huge" Camp Nou.

Out of interest, who would you regard as world class centre backs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Seaneh wrote: »
    Just you.

It's exactly the same size as every other modern pitch in the world, even, shock horror the "huge" Camp Nou.

In fairness though camera angles at different grounds can change the viewers perception of the games massivley in terms of how crowded it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just you.

Then the Milan players were doing a good job. But thanks for your snide retort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Makes for an interesting 2nd leg. Milan score 1, Barca will need 4.

Just been onto Ryanair pricing tickets, should be a great game to go over and watch ! :D

Honestly some people are too retarded to form their own opinions and because FIFA pick him out because he plays for a team that wins a lot he's automatically a top or world class player. Piqué isn't great defending but very good at bringing the ball out of defence. He's also as slow as they get as a professional footballer.

He's overrated.

lol I love that you try to be condescending and yet the fact remains that one of those centre backs has been a rock at the heart of the greatest team of their generation, the other plays for the other best club team in the world right now, oh and both start for the country that has won 3 major tournaments on the bounce....

But by all means please continue to enlighten us on how either of them have achieved such heights in the game.

Just you.

Not exactly. Bernabeu is bigger.

Quazzie wrote: »
    In fairness though camera angles at different grounds can change the viewers perception of the games massivley in terms of how crowded it looks.

Also the opposition running their arses off to close your team down all over the pitch can give the illusion of less space to the rose tinted supporters. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They both had the same amount of shots and Milan had 3 on goal to Barca's 1 shot. All the possession in the world means nothing if your doing nothing with it.

Also what a stupid point about applauding a team that came to play. Barca have a better team and Milan going out attacking would have played perfectly into Barca's hands. It's very easy to say it's great to watch teams attack. It's easy when you have Iniesta, Xavi and Messi to attack with. Milan played a game that would suit them, executed it perfectly and good a result they fully deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Corholio wrote: »
    Not exactly. Bernabeu is bigger.

They are marked to the same size though, 105m x 68m.

Not been tested at a reasonable level? Did you miss the Euro's, Spain, playing a far less aggressive pressing game and with a deeper block than they normally play with (aside from the final when there was a very noticeable change in how aggressive the pressing was) were more than tested defensively and they came up trumps. In particular the Ramos/Pique partnership was top notch, really a joy for any football fan to see.

I disagree, what I remember most from the Euros was the Spain midfield suffocating the life out of the opposition and not letting sides get a real grip on the game.
    Corholio wrote: »
    Out of interest, who would you regard as world class centre backs?

There isn't many around at the moment.

Vidic, if he keeps up his excellent form from the last few games he played and gets back to his consistent self pre injury. The Kompany of last season, not so much this. Thiago Silva. Hummels (going on his Germany form and a few Dortmund games I've seen). Chiellini too.

I would rate them and a good few more as better centre backs than Pique.

lol I love that you try to be condescending and yet the fact remains that one of those centre backs has been a rock at the heart of the greatest team of their generation, the other plays for the other best club team in the world right now, oh and both start for the country that has won 3 major tournaments on the bounce....

But by all means please continue to enlighten us on how either of them have achieved such heights in the game.

Your failure to understand the achievement of a team as compared to judging a player is hilarious. I've never said they are bad players, they're both overrated. Not that hard to understand you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's overrated.
    I think you know less about this game than American Football and that isn't saying much.:D

Nuts102 wrote: »
    They both had the same amount of shots and Milan had 3 on goal to Barca's 1 shot. All the possession in the world means nothing if your doing nothing with it.

Also what a stupid point about applauding a team that came to play. Barca have a better team and Milan going out attacking would have played perfectly into Barca's hands. It's very easy to say it's great to watch teams attack. It's easy when you have Iniesta, Xavi and Messi to attack with. Milan played a game that would suit them, executed it perfectly and good a result they fully deserved.

Maybe we simply have different preferences. Barcelona were the team on the ball for the most part, they took the game to Milan despite it being at the San Siro, I heard somebody say at half time that Milan looked like the away team, a sentiment I would agree with.

In any case we will see in the second leg what happens. I believe Barcelona will go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok first off.
    When Milan had the ball they attacked in a very organised and coherent fashion whenever they could. El S (not even going to try spelling it:P) put in a demonic workman shift. So too did Boateng (better have got that one right). They pressed zonally and compacted the space meaning Barca's passing had to be error free : it wasn't. When Milan had possession they worked the positions really well and attacked rather potently. Montelivo, was outstanding in the way he orchestrated their moves.

I would agree though that the pitch did look like it wasn't let the ball roll smoothly. But Barca have come to expect that by now. Almost every team they play against leaves the grass long and doesn't water the pitch. Which is their entitlement. Maybe that is a bit anti-football, I don't know, but why would you sharpen your opponents blade anyway? Facing Barca in an attacking manner is only possible if you are actually a team of Barca's quality. It's long been established that there isn't really a club team capable of doing this yet. So why should you just go into the sword fight and expose your whole body because that's the honorable thing to do? Why not, put on the armour, face them side on and expose just the width of your shoulders to attack, while focusing on your opponents weakness? This whole notion that football has to be won by attacking is utter rubbish.

Honestly tonights result is why soccer is such a great compelling sport to watch. It was a beautiful enthralling chess game. (Yeah, I uh, also like chess.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are marked to the same size though, 105m x 68m.
    To be honest I dont know if any of those yardages are very accurate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What I find funny here is that there are a lot of people who give out about the Stokes of this world that are lauding Milan for their best impression at Stoke football.

Jernal wrote: »
    Ok first off.
    When Milan had the ball they attacked in a very organised and coherent fashion whenever they could. El S (not even going to try spelling it:P) put in a demonic workman shift. So too did Boateng (better have got that one right). They pressed zonally and compacted the space meaning Barca's passing had to be error free : it wasn't. When Milan had possession they worked the positions really well and attacked rather potently. Montelivo, was outstanding in the way he orchestrated their moves.

I would agree though that the pitch did look like it wasn't let the ball roll smoothly. But Barca have come to expect that by now. Almost every team they play against leaves the grass long and doesn't water the pitch. Which is their entitlement. Maybe that is a bit anti-football, I don't know, but why would you sharpen your opponents blade anyway? Facing Barca in an attacking manner is only possible if you are actually a team of Barca's quality. It's long been established that there isn't really a club team capable of doing this yet. So why should you just go into the sword fight and expose your whole body because that's the honorable thing to do? Why not, put on the armour, face them side on and expose just the width of your shoulders to attack, while focusing on your opponents weakness? This whole notion that football has to be won by attacking is utter rubbish.

Honestly tonights result is why soccer is such a great compelling sport to watch. It was a beautiful enthralling chess game. (Yeah, I uh, also like chess.)

Im not saying that Milan didn't execute their plan well. The only thing I am saying in this regard is that I would always rather see the team that tries to play (or bring the game to) the opposition win rather than the team who parks the bus and counter attacks. That's an opinion simply based on how I think football should be playing, nothing more sinister.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think you know less about this game than American Football and that isn't saying much.:D

Thanks man

What I find funny here is that there are a lot of people who give out about the Stokes of this world that are lauding Milan for their best impression at Stoke football.
    did u not see Muntari's goal
    Stoke are brillant on the counter attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Pique is. Ramos is not.

Thiago Silva better then both of them.

That performance from Milan was nothing like Stoke. They didn't continuously lump long balls up to the front and completely bypass midfield.

What a ridiculous comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

TBH if I was striker I would rather be one on one with Pique then Puyol . Pique is a terrible defender but he gives Barcelona what they need in terms of going forward with his passing ability . He has also got bags of skill but he is average at best and is not world class . If he was such a great player then why on earth did Manchester United sell him ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement