Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrumentation

Options
  • 20-02-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone here working in Instrumentation or has done in the past? Just have a few questions and wouldnt mind talking to someone in the job. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Ask away.I was talking to you before,did you finish out your time?Are you still working away?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

m.j.w wrote: »
    Is there anyone here working in Instrumentation or has done in the past? Just have a few questions and wouldnt mind talking to someone in the job. Cheers!

What would you like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Is there any add on course to the standard electrician apprenticeship i could do to allow me to work in that industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Is there any add on course to the standard electrician apprenticeship i could do to allow me to work in that industry?

I think they do an instrumentation course at FÁS Baldoyle. Not sure how long it goes on for (maybe 12 weeks).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭KegglesMcS

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    If your going to do a course I suggest you do something that allows you to work in Automation & Controls. PLC & SCADA systems specifically, its real easy stuff and pays much more than playing with instrumentation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KegglesMcS wrote: »
    If your going to do a course I suggest you do something that allows you to work in Automation & Controls. PLC & SCADA systems specifically, its real easy stuff and pays much more than playing with instrumentation.

It is a facinating area to get into. Just be aware that the normal route to becoming an automation engineer requires an engineering degree, not a short add on course to an apprenticeship.

To say that it is "real easy stuff" depends on the task. As with all challenges, some are easy, but some is extremely complex.

But for those that can get into this area it can be quite lucrative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭KegglesMcS

Ok agreed, I am working as an automation engineer about 10 years now. In comparision to high level programming for example PLCs and SCADA are really stuff. My opinion of course!

KegglesMcS wrote: »
    Ok agreed, I am working as an automation engineer about 10 years now. In comparision to high level programming for example PLCs and SCADA are really stuff. My opinion of course!

Yeah, as you said it pays well.
    I have limited experience in that area and would love to get involved with it.

But as you know control systems and instrumentation go hand in hand. One is not much good without the other, so someone has to "be playing with instrumentation" :D

Advertisement