Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fused spur 2.5 t.e. socket cable

Options
  • 20-02-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I broke into a 2.5 cable in the attic. I wired in a fused spur and re connected the cable. I wired an extension lead to the fused spur. From the extension lead I have a sensor light and tv aerial amplifier and a socket or two in the shed. It has worked fine till today. Something blew the extension lead or triggered the cut off switch. What I wonder is what is the correct rating of a fused spur that you use to take a spur from a socket circuit. Thks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Do you know what it was that actually tripped? Was it the rcd or mcb in the fuseboard or did the fuse in the fuseboard blow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Was it an extension lead you coil up, and if so, did you uncoil the extension lead fully before using in that setup?

Do you know what circuit you spurred into? Have any trip switches tripped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I plugged in a power washer..... And the fuse blew in the fused spur unit. On checking the fuse its a 3 amp fuse that blew ... The spark in the elec shop told me that I needed a 3 amp fused spur ... But this seems incorrect most basic electrical items are 13 amp therefore , anything that is 13 amp will obviously blow the 3 amp fuse ...... I think I will change the 3 amp fuse to a 13 amp and that should solve the problem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/13-amp-fused-switched-spur-unit-c-w-neon.html

Thats the one you want in future don't where the 3 amp would come into it i like these switched spurs and hey for 3 euro there great:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

a 13amp socket would have been better than a spur if you simply wanted to power an extension lead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea i agree but the link i mentioned would be good as well?? have you any experience with the make?

Advertisement