Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Junior Cert Goal:

Options
  • 20-02-2013 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey all, i'm new to the forums so I just want to post my wishes and come back in September to read this again.

I've been doing good throughout secondary school, I recently did some of my mocks this week. For all my Christmas and Winter exams, I got at least 4 A's(Maximum I got was 7 A's and minimum 4 A's) and I do all higher level subjects. I think I did alright in my mocks (Hopefully 5 A's), but we didn't cover everything for a few subjects like Maths and Home Eco. I'm aiming for 8 A's(Geo, English, History, Italian, Home Eco, Science, Religion, Maths/Irish, CSPE) and 2 B's (Maths/Irish or both). We are really far behind in Maths so I don't know if we will get Paper 2 done in time for Jc. I hope I achieve this somehow, but i'll be happy with anything :). I'm going to be working extra hard after the mocks so I can achieve this, good luck to everyone eles this their goals ;p.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

English was easy for me and thought I would get an A but i got a C even after writing 18 A4 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

onlinenerd wrote: »
    English was easy for me and thought I would get an A but i got a C even after writing 18 A4 pages

Quality over quantity. Good luck in your goals! I got 4 A's and 6 B's at Christmas. I'm aiming for 10 A's in the Junior cert.. whether I can get or not I don't know but I hope to at least get close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey all, i'm new to the forums so I just want to post my wishes and come back in September to read this again.

I've been doing good throughout secondary school, I recently did some of my mocks this week. For all my Christmas and Winter exams, I got at least 4 A's(Maximum I got was 7 A's and minimum 4 A's) and I do all higher level subjects. I think I did alright in my mocks (Hopefully 5 A's), but we didn't cover everything for a few subjects like Maths and Home Eco. I'm aiming for 8 A's(Geo, English, History, Italian, Home Eco, Science, Religion, Maths/Irish, CSPE) and 2 B's (Maths/Irish or both). We are really far behind in Maths so I don't know if we will get Paper 2 done in time for Jc. I hope I achieve this somehow, but i'll be happy with anything :). I'm going to be working extra hard after the mocks so I can achieve this, good luck to everyone eles this their goals ;p.
    Best of luck in your work! Keep at it and reap the rewards next September. There's a great group of JC students on here frequently for any help or support you need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

onlinenerd wrote: »

I wrote 25 and got a B, my hand was in bits ....

Good luck with your goal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I wrote 25 and got a B, my hand was in bits ....

Good luck with your goal :D

Hah, snap. Barely finished Paper 2, hand was aching like hell but I had to keep writing as time kept getting less and less. Happy with my B though.

• Advertisement

Hah, snap. Barely finished Paper 2, hand was aching like hell but I had to keep writing as time kept getting less and less. Happy with my B though.

Mine too! I did better in Paper 2, I always liked it better lol

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Me too! I did better in Paper 2, I always liked it better lol

I did better in paper 2 but I always prefer Paper 1 to be honest. Less study for Paper 1 and there's no worry on what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

We had a speaker in about studying for junior cert or something and he told us never to tell people your goals as it is statistically proven that you are more likely to not achieve them if you tell someone because then they say you can achieve it and then you dont work as hard or something, moral is dont tell your goals to people :P

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Bluestrike wrote: »
    We had a speaker in about studying for junior cert or something and he told us never to tell people your goals as it is statistically proven that you are more likely to not achieve them if you tell someone because then they say you can achieve it and then you dont work as hard or something, moral is dont tell your goals to people :P
    eeeehhhhhhh?! uh oh

MomijiHime wrote: »
    eeeehhhhhhh?! uh oh
    Don't worry, it's "statistical" so it's not "proven" you can't prove that. You can guess and try back it up with a survey but it's not 100%, I always hate the idea of people saying its proven that.. Or it's proven that blah... You can't prove how the brain responds to these things!

I wanna be a doctor and I tell People and I don't do worse or get further from achieving it every time I say it

There's always outliers in statistics, don't worry about it

• Advertisement

Well he said they got like 100 people to write down their goals, then 50 tell the others what their goals were and the other not to, a few weeks/months? later they came back and found that the people who didnt tell their goals had progressed more towards their goals then the ones who had tell, thats just on average so sum who had told still progressed fine and sum who didnt tell didnt progress very much but on average people who didnt tell their goals progressed or succeeded? their goals more than those who didnt
    Just thought i would put it out there :P

Bluestrike wrote: »
    Well he said they got like 100 people to write down their goals, then 50 tell the others what their goals were and the other not to, a few weeks/months? later they came back and found that the people who didnt tell their goals had progressed more towards their goals then the ones who had tell, thats just on average so sum who had told still progressed fine and sum who didnt tell didnt progress very much but on average people who didnt tell their goals progressed or succeeded? their goals more than those who didnt
    Just thought i would put it out there :P
    Ah but no one takes those talks seriously haha, if it was actual goals such as life goals it wouldn't apply, getting off class time for talks is always nice ;)

Ah but no one takes those talks seriously haha, if it was actual goals such as life goals it wouldn't apply, getting off class time for talks is always nice ;)

Tru dat! :p also now i think of it, it wasnt a talk it was sum video on the internet showed to us by our english teacher, search like "telling goals" or sumthing and its probably there

Found it on English department blog http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I always keep my goals written .. for my last summer exam .. I want 7 A's and I got 7 A's all higher :p. But I get too cocky lol .. I thought I got an A in Higher Irish but got a C for Xmas but I got an A on summer and highest mark in class .. i'm suprised how lazy people are .. i'm not even Irish. :c. Oh well, any tips on how to make an essay humorous? I tried to do it and I think I failed, I'll find out on monday :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

For the mocks, I didn't really mind what I got because I had an important competition the day before. Despite that, I was ridiculously disappointed, but in some subjects the teachers didn't use the correct marking scheme.
    Hopefully I'll get 6 As and 4 Bs (we haven't covered big parts of the syllabus in some subjects so I'm not gonna get my hopes up).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 joeballs

Lads its as simple as this. The junior cert is hard only if you think its hard. You know more or less whats coming up in the test.Thousands of people have gone through 3rd year and came out with good results. If you listen in class and do a little study you are planning to do well. I recommend making out a timetable as failing to plan is planning to fail. I am doing my jc this year and im not worried at all. I only really started studying about two weeks before the mocks. If you are intent on doing well try and full revise each subject. I mean you should know every concept, novel , poem and equation like the back of your hand. Between now and june with class revision, study and aiming to achieve your goals you are sure come out of the tests happy and confident all your work has payed off. Using revise books and personal notes are to me the best way to study. Most importantly though do the exam papers as much as you can because in the end of the day thats what the tests in june are going to be like.

Advertisement