Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Anyone else keep reading the title as Tides of Numa Numa? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I wasn't until now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You have managed to ruin the game before development even begins. You sir are worse than Hitler.

:pac:

*I can't even stand the damn thing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'll definitely reach it's stretch goals, and will probably push on for a few more. The last few days always pump the total up quite a bit.

If only the game wasn't years away :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

New Stretch Goals!

Patrick Rothfuss (who's a Torment fan) on board at $3.25m!

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/03/concerning-games-torment-and-a-sense-of-play/

Chris Avellone @ $3.5M.

I've already upped my pledge twice already :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Rothfuss getting on board has gotten them my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

HljkMr1.png

Oh yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

With 51 hours to go, they've added another 5 stretch goals. Anyone following this closely enough to know if the paypal one is going to be still ongoing for a while after the 51 hours? For people who want to see the newest stretch goals, here is the list with all of them including the new ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pushtrak wrote: »
    With 51 hours to go, they've added another 5 stretch goals. Anyone following this closely enough to know if the paypal one is going to be still ongoing for a while after the 51 hours? For people who want to see the newest stretch goals, here is the list with all of them including the new ones.

Well you can still back Wasteland 2 via paypal now (I did myself after the kickstarter) so I would guess the same will happen here.

• Advertisement

I can only begin to imagine how awesome this will look full-screen without all the hacks and work arounds required for the old infinity engine games.

1 day left and looks like they might just scrap $4m.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Passed $4M including paypal now with 7 hours still to go (stretch goal is marked as achieved). Will easily become the most backed game ever methinks.

mewso wrote: »
    Well you can still back Wasteland 2 via paypal now (I did myself after the kickstarter) so I would guess the same will happen here.
    Ok, that's good then. It seemed bizarre to set stretch goals so, well, optimistically given the time frame left. Still, though, it is already exceeding what I figured it would have done when the timer was up.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Ok, that's good then. It seemed bizarre to set stretch goals so, well, optimistically given the time frame left. Still, though, it is already exceeding what I figured it would have done when the timer was up.

I think they have already said all stretch goals whether met or not will be on the table if it makes sense and doesn't impact on the core stuff that has to be there. I see stretch goals here as guarantees as opposed to maybes.

Are they counting the money contributed by Fargo and that superfan guy already or is that added in at the end?

Are they counting the money contributed by Fargo and that superfan guy already or is that added in at the end?

Pretty sure it's added afterwards.

Finished at $4,188,358, but it will probably change a bit once its all tallied up.

Kiith wrote: »
    Finished at $4,188,358, but it will probably change a bit once its all tallied up.

With the PayPal contribution they breached the $4.25m target but fell about $200,000 short of the final stretch goal.

From the latest update:
    Stronghold and the $4.5M Stretch Goal

We don’t have the final PayPal numbers yet, but we expect to be far short of the $4.5M Stretch Goal. (While Torment’s budget will be bolstered by the generous $200K total in contributions from Brian Fargo and Steve Dengler (@dracogen), these aren’t included in the Stretch Goal calculations. The Stretch Goals were set with these contributions already considered – that is, the $200K sum didn’t apply to determining whether or not we reached any given Stretch Goal. But all of it will be applied to creating a better game and help counterbalance the impact of fees and dropped pledges.)

Many backers have asked about the “Stronghold” that was at the $4.5M Stretch Goal, however. At your request and suggestion, what we’ll do is allow all PayPal contributions through the end of April to count toward determining whether or not we reached this goal. On Monday, we’ll tell you exactly how far we have left to go and through the end of the month we’ll provide more frequent updates on tumblr and Facebook about progress toward that $4.5M goal.

If we do make it by the end of April 30th, we’ll declare that final Stretch Goal achieved! In this case we would include the Stronghold, designing it to fit the flavor of Numenera and to fully support Torment’s themes and narrative.

We cannot say enough how much we appreciate your support. We are very much looking forward to creating Torment: Tides of Numenera for you. You have made this game possible.

I hope they add the Stronghold stretch. Loved having a stronghold in Baldurs Gate for example.

• Advertisement

I hope they add the Stronghold stretch. Loved having a stronghold in Baldurs Gate for example.

They're currently $100,000 off hitting the stronghold stretch goal but there's only ten days left and there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement on the paypal donations.

Well you got your wish, even though they didn't quite get the $4m they're still going ahead with the stronghold stretch goal. Apparently there were less failed pledges than anticipated so they've counted the remainder of the reserve $200,000 fund towards the total.

The dev's are asking backers to vote for either turn based combat (i.e. Fallout 1/2) or pause based combat (i.e. Baldurs Gate) on their site. God i hope they go with pause based, as it's a far better system for this type of game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/24/inxile-asking-kickstarter-backers-to-vote-over-torments-combat-system/

The dev's are asking backers to vote for either turn based combat (i.e. Fallout 1/2) or pause based combat (i.e. Baldurs Gate) on their site. God i hope they go with pause based, as it's a far better system for this type of game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/24/inxile-asking-kickstarter-backers-to-vote-over-torments-combat-system/
    Had meant to post about that. I distinctly remember having the thread open to do just that, but it seems I never actually ended up posting about it. The thing about the vote is it isn't just what gets most votes. They're mostly doing it to gauge reactions. The developers themselves have the final say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hope to god they go with Fallout style. I thought the combat was atrocious in BG and Planescape Torment

I'll definitely be disappointed if it's turn based. It's just too slow for my liking. I know Xcom did it well, but i'd still take the pause combat any day. The Infinity engine, along with BG's combat system, showed how these games should be done.

However, i'll probably end up going entirely non combat focused, and avoid combat whenever i can.

Turn based was winning as of Monday btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I would agree that X-COM was a bit slow. I have fond memories of Fallout 2 though. I thought the combat was quite tactical. I played Planesape as a pacifist because I didn't understand the combat at all to be honest. No idea what was going on yet still got through most of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I much prefer turn based combat. It's far more tactical and strategic, real time just feels chaotic and there's less control.

Saying that, I'd think it would feel wrong not having a real time system for this since it's what people expect from this genre. While real time has never really worked well in the infinity engine games or in Bioware's later games there's room for improvement. Xenoblade might be japanese developed but it uses a real time system very close to western RPGs and MMO games and works beautifully with the same strategic depth as a turn based system so it's not like the developers can't do a good real time battle system.

• Advertisement

It'll be turn based.
    TL;DR: Combat vote results completed – statistically it was a tie! Torment: Tides of Numenera’s combat (and Crises) will be turn-based combat. We’ll address concerns expressed by Real-Time with Pause fans in our design.

It’s been an exciting vote! The leading system changed a couple times early on and the final tally is: 7,267 TB, 7,052 RTwP and 782 Indifferent. With the vote at 48% to 47%, and with those who voted “indifferent” being more than triple the difference between the TB and RTwP camps, it is essentially a draw.

As we explained in Update 24, we were leaning toward turn-based combat because we believe it’s better suited for the kind of tactical complexity we're looking for through our Crisis system. We believe it’s a stronger fit for bringing narrative elements, including dialogue with NPCs, into hand-crafted combat situations. We have considered the vote, but more important than the vote are the comments (not just in our forums, but on many of the community forums and articles on this topic). Your comments have helped us greatly in understanding why people have the preferences and concerns that they do.
    The rest of it is pretty long, so I'll leave it at that.

Advertisement