Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st johnston broadband

Options
  • 20-02-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

i am fed up paying big bills to o2 for mobile broadband. can anyone tell me if eircom have brought the local exchange up to date.
    if the answer is no, could someone please recommend a mobile provider that doesnt cost the earth, but actually does work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Have you tried wireless from North West Electronics?

http://www.nwewn.com/

There are quite a few people in Donegal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

put your address in http://bing.bizmaps.ie/threeireland/Pages/Public/NBSPublicPage.aspx, if it appears in a green zone then you can get broadband under the national broadband scheme. I think it's €20.99 per month and they have to deliver good broadband, download @ 7.2MB afik

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

heard some different reports about NWE , anyone on here got their service, and what do you think???

just need something better than o2, 15gb download for 20EURO every gb after that is 10euro for each Gb used

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

my mam has eircom broadband in carrigans, id assume its the same exchange and its as good as mine is in letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

I have nwe in clonmany It's good most of the time. Average about 5 mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Go to the Eircom website and input your number (you have a land line, yeah?) and see what that throws up.

Sky are currently doing a fair enough deal on home phone and broadband. On face value they may not appear to be any cheaper than Eircom or Vodafone but their big selling point is that the broadband is completely unlimited, they will give you whatever the max speed your line can handle and you can phone 20 different countries for up to an hour (off peak or anytime depending on the package) including land lines and mobiles in the U.S. and Canada.

I only recently left Vodafone and went to Sky and to be honest Vodafone were okay.

If its fixed line broadband (DSL) then its Eircoms lines and exchanges that are used by all the providers so its just a matter of shopping around for a package that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

muffler wrote: »
    Go to the Eircom website and input your number (you have a land line, yeah?) and see what that throws up.

St Johnstone was on the list when Eircom stopped activating exchanges, only about 20 left in entire country that they were going to do. Hasn't been done since, unless my customer there has completely forgotten to tell me. Causes me no end of problems due to not having remote access etc.

MYOB wrote: »
    St Johnstone was on the list when Eircom stopped activating exchanges, only about 20 left in entire country that they were going to do.
    Sorry, what do you mean by activating?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sorry, what do you mean by activating?

Installing the DSL equipment. DSL needs equipment added to the exchange (and fibre backhaul out of the exchange), St Johnstone never got the DSL kit put in.

MYOB wrote: »
    Installing the DSL equipment. DSL needs equipment added to the exchange (and fibre backhaul out of the exchange), St Johnstone never got the DSL kit put in.
    Thanks for that. :)

Im not really into the technical stuff but are you saying that local people dont have fixed line broadband there?

The reason I ask is that I have logged into a local website there a few times so Im wondering how its running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

'Local Website' most likely not hosted in the locality, much like Donegal Post is not published in Donegal Town.

Alot of Irish website would be actually hosted in USA.

To the OP, if the exchange is not activated then you cannot get broadband from landline operators, eircom, vodafone etc. You'll have to go with mobile phone companies, satellite, or some one like NWE as already suggested.

The National broadband scheme via Three is your best bet IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

Went into car phone warehouse in LK shopping centre to ask about moving to another service provider because of my high O2 bills. The guy was really really helpful, rang O2 and got me sorted with twice as much data for a great monthly price. I had tried O2 in store and over the phone but when they realised I was willing to change provider it was sorted.

Carphone warehouse customer service, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

Thanks for that. :)

Im not really into the technical stuff but are you saying that local people dont have fixed line broadband there?

The reason I ask is that I have logged into a local website there a few times so Im wondering how its running.

I've been a NWE customer for more than five years. I used to be on their old slow network - and it was pure torture - but they changed me over to their newer network and the difference was amazing. Normal speeds would be between 5- 10 MPS. So that was a vast improvement.

HOWEVER their super-dooper fast network now appears to be suffering from a familiar old problem to the old network -way too high contention rates every evening and most weekends. Blatantly over subscribed. For example, this weekend, I can't use youtube cos nothing is opening for me and it takes an absolute age to see a 30 second clip. And even opening a photo online is pure hardship its so slow. The system goes off air very frequently and so I would warn anyone thinking of joining NWE Blue box network - avoid it unless you're really desperate. It's very VERY unreliable and their customer support is simply ridiculous. And non existent at weekends.

The exchange at St.Johnston as an earlier poster has stated has never been ADSL enabled as of March 2013. I cancelled my Eircom line a few years ago when they abandoned plans to upgrade our exchange for Broadband. In despair I phoned Eircom a few months ago to ask about any hope of progress with enabling the exchange, they couldn't confirm whether the service was available or not at my address ( It's NOT!) but they had the cheek to tell me to take out a subscription for a phone line and if they couldn't supply broadband I could then apply for a refund!

I signed up to National Broadband Scheme about two years ago, they put me online with the 3 network. I was able to get about 3MBPS for the first year or so, it was quite good and much more reliable than NWS, but then after a year or so it also became bogged down every afternoon around 4 pm until midnight and all weekends. 3MbPS no problem at 4.00 am but during the day, only 150 Kb was possible, thats back to 1990's DIAL-UP speeds!

For a year I was paying both NWE and 3 network for a very poor broadband service. I really need broadband for my business.

I might remind you that Eircom charge us the exact same line rental that subscribers in Dublin or Cork pay for a super fast fibre optic connection. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

Firblog wrote: »
    put your address in http://bing.bizmaps.ie/threeireland/Pages/Public/NBSPublicPage.aspx, if it appears in a green zone then you can get broadband under the national broadband scheme. I think it's €20.99 per month and they have to deliver good broadband, download @ 7.2MB afik

Unfortunately, in the St Johnston area at least, the 3 network is very much over subscribed. I can clearly see the main 3 transmitter from my house, it's only about 1 km away, and my service was awful. So unless you surf the net between the wee small hours of 01.00 am and 08.00 am when all the teeny downloaders are safely tucked up in bed, give the 3 network a miss.
    heard some different reports about NWE , anyone on here got their service, and what do you think???

Trust me. IT's AWFUL. Unreliable, very frequently off air, painfully s-l-o-w every evening and weekends, and their customer service is ridiculous. Mon fri - 9.00 5.00 pm and not on public holidays North or South. And it's ALWAYS YOUR fault, not theirs. Or else they are having what they refer to as "issues" and they tell you they are aware of the problem and are trying to deal with it. Same old spiel every time.

just need something better than o2, 15gb download for 20EURO every gb after that is 10euro for each Gb used

Advertisement