Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petsafe Wireless Containment system

• 20-02-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Has anyone tried this or another brand of wireless containment? Have a beautiful Golden and he's starting to wonder.......am about to buy one of these for €300, this is the one without the boundary wire as i'm certain that will break and my boundary is difficult to dig up.

So interested in any advice on this wireless version or other brands that offer the same solution.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wireless fences are generally not well received around here, due to ethical concerns. Really you'll be better off with a well built fence. From my research e-fences too often fall somewhere between 'useless' and 'the dog will become terrified of its own garden'.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Hi, thanks for the reply.......Id be interested in reading that research that you highlighted if you wouldnt mind sharing the details. Unfortunately building a wall/fence is not an option, we do have a 6' fence but he's digging underneath it....!......
    so i'm looking for alternatives........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its amazing the amount of dogs that end up in the pound as strays still wearing their radio fence collars. In my opinion they are not a safe alternative to proper fencing. If he's digging under, could you put slabs around the edge of your garden? Or, if its big an area, build a dog run, with concrete or slabs at the edge to keep him contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

kylith wrote: »
    Wireless fences are generally not well received around here, due to ethical concerns. Really you'll be better off with a well built fence. From my research e-fences too often fall somewhere between 'useless' and 'the dog will become terrified of its own garden'.

It's a radio signal that gives a sensation similar to a static shock off a car door, its not a lightning bolt.

Plus the dog if trained properly will only get the signal two or three times he will know not to go there then as he will receive a warning tone before the signal line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

You have to train your dog where the boundary is. I know a person who got one of these and just let the dog out. Dog ended up in a life threatening situation :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've known two people used these, one dog just ran through it and kept running, never stopped her getting out. Another was running out also but wouldn't go back in as he knew he'd get shocked, he got hit by a car and killed 3 weeks after installation.
    Personally I think they are barbaric, build a large run if you can't fence it. Walk the dog for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

im using petsafe stubborn collar.my lad knows where he can go now setttercross..over time il i hope to turn if on low or off. my sister has one to.much happier dog.cudt put fencing all round up.live on half an acre. good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

baraca wrote: »
    It's a radio signal that gives a sensation similar to a static shock off a car door, its not a lightning bolt.

Plus the dog if trained properly will only get the signal two or three times he will know not to go there then as he will receive a warning tone before the signal line.

How do you know? Did you try the collar on yourself, tight as you would have it on the dog?

The fallout from using these type of collars is usually a dog with behavioural problems. the dog is getting a shock. It doesn't know why, it may lash out at the nearest person or animal in response to getting a shock. That person may be the owner, it could be a visitor, postman, another dog in the household, a neighbours dog, whatever. But it can't attack the fence

Dogs that have a high prey drive will break through the barrier to get at something it considers valuable on the other side. A retriever is originally a working dog, bred to retrieve game so don't be surprised if your dog decides that getting out is worth the pain.

Dogs that are of a nervous nature can end up with zero quality of life due to these fences. A family member has just had to rehome her goldie due to using one of these fences. He veered between standing stock still at the back door for days on end or breaking out. It broke her heart but she had to give him a quality of life and that meant giving him up. She threw the collar in the bin the day he went.

foreversky wrote: »
    im using petsafe stubborn collar.my lad knows where he can go now setttercross..over time il i hope to turn if on low or off. my sister has one to.much happier dog.cudt put fencing all round up.live on half an acre. good luck

Couldn't? Or wouldn't? :rolleyes:

I live on an acre and I have it like fort knox for the dogs. It's an easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Been there, bought the system, and regretted it pretty much every day I had it in place because it A) didn't work, and B) I felt horrendous seeing the effect the shocks were having on my dogs despite the 2 weeks of very careful training.
    Total waste of money that I could have put into the fencing I had to buy in the end.

BTW it's not even close to an static shock, more like an electric cow fence, I'd suggest you find someone who has a fence in place and try out the collar on your own inside wrist or neck and then decide if you're prepared to put the same device on your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

[/B]

Couldn't? Or wouldn't? :rolleyes:

I live on an acre and I have it like fort knox for the dogs. It's an easy fix.

I have 2.2 acres, 2 acres of it is securely fenced for my dogs

How do you know? Did you try the collar on yourself, tight as you would have it on the dog?

The fallout from using these type of collars is usually a dog with behavioural problems. the dog is getting a shock. It doesn't know why, it may lash out at the nearest person or animal in response to getting a shock. That person may be the owner, it could be a visitor, postman, another dog in the household, a neighbours dog, whatever. But it can't attack the fence

Dogs that have a high prey drive will break through the barrier to get at something it considers valuable on the other side. A retriever is originally a working dog, bred to retrieve game so don't be surprised if your dog decides that getting out is worth the pain.

Dogs that are of a nervous nature can end up with zero quality of life due to these fences. A family member has just had to rehome her goldie due to using one of these fences. He veered between standing stock still at the back door for days on end or breaking out. It broke her heart but she had to give him a quality of life and that meant giving him up. She threw the collar in the bin the day he went.

Yes, regulary. I work in a Petshop so often have to test them/Show a customer how it works. It's no where near the level of shock from an electric cow fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Do they work though, that's the question? seems to be about 50/50 based on replies so far.......

Im thinking that this together with a reinforced fence might be the only way to keep the fella in......

Yes, regulary. I work in a Petshop so often have to test them/Show a customer how it works. It's no where near the level of shock from an electric cow fence.

Riiight. So you're in the business of selling them. :rolleyes:

I'd imagine if you worked in a builders providers or the like then you would maybe be pushing the fence option;).

Riiight. So you're in the business of selling them. :rolleyes:

I'd imagine if you worked in a builders providers or the like then you would maybe be pushing the fence option;).

I couldn't care less if they sell well or not i'm not on commission, Just giving my experience of them.

I couldn't care less if they sell well or not i'm not on commission, Just giving my experience of them.

So you have no actual experience of using them? Only selling them? So you haven't experienced the dog traumatised because of the shock? Or a farmer on your doorstep because your dog has broken through the pain barrier and killed his sheep?

So you have no actual experience of using them? Only selling them? So you haven't experienced the dog traumatised because of the shock? Or a farmer on your doorstep because your dog has broken through the pain barrier and killed his sheep?

Me personally, No. But my sister has used one for 5 years on three different dogs, An akita a German shephard and a springer. Never had any problems. The dogs have certainly never been "traumatised"

I'm not looking for an argument here I'm just giving a different side to the story.

Me personally, No. But my sister has used one for 5 years on three different dogs, An akita a German shephard and a springer. Never had any problems. The dogs have certainly never been "traumatised"

I'm not looking for an argument here I'm just giving a different side to the story.

As stated previously a family member used one and only recently had to rehome her dog because of it. The dog is two but the first I heard of her having problems with it was last week. And the problems had been going on since last year. So by your sister not having any problems doesn't mean much, she may not say if one of the dogs broke out, or is off form, or nipped her or one of the other dogs.

Does she still have all three dogs by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I live with a person who has three akitas and I can guarantee if they saw something on the opposite side of this fence and wanted to get at it, nothing would stop them. Obviously she doesn't use them because her dogs are under control and fenced in, as they should be, but I've seen them get hurt and not even bat an eyelid. One walked into a stone pillar one day because he was distracted looking at another dog and just shook himself and carried on. They grab each other's faces with their teeth and drag each other around the garden, they're not going to be stopped by something like that. Most big dogs just will not feel the shock, and even if they do, if they see something enticing, nothing's going to stop them going through it.

As stated previously a family member used one and only recently had to rehome her dog because of it. The dog is two but the first I heard of her having problems with it was last week. And the problems had been going on since last year. So by your sister not having any problems doesn't mean much, she may not say if one of the dogs broke out, or is off form, or nipped her or one of the other dogs.

Does she still have all three dogs by the way?

Still has the Akita and German shephard, springer died arising from complications after giving birth about 7 months ago.

Once again I'm not looking for an argument just simply giving another view on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have one on our Akita for 4 years, never got out outside of our 1 acre site,
    knows when it beeps to back away.

There are people walking their dogs by our wall all evening and he knows that he can go to the limit and then when it beeps he reverses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

people are trying to draw a line between black and white, its not like that. its completely based on the dogs temperament (stability) and the brand of fence.

final note: no, they shouldn't be easily sale able as many abuse or the uneducated use them unknowing of the dogs temperament or a poor brand just giving out shocks without care of the particular dog (yes they have settings per size, but its temperament that determines safe or not), no, they're not safe in general use. investigate more.....or the most honest or inconvenient , learn why dog is wandering and address that without a quick fix.

best of luck OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Any that I have come across do not work. My parents' neighbours have one and their GSD keeps getting out and charging across the road at people walking past. Their other dog got through it a while back and hasn't been seen since. Two previous dogs were killed on the road. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

I purchased a pet containment system from Irish Pet Supplies.ie, the make is PetSafe. It cost 289 but because its wireless it only took me 10 mins to set up and I have never really had a problem. I have changed the battery once after about 4/5 months and at a cost of 8euro. There are also cheaper options on Ebay (less than 90euro) which may be worth a punt at that price. I dont think any of the systems give an actual 'electric shock' because the battery is only a little chubbier than what you would see in a remote control. However, I have never actually tested it myself so I cant be sure!!
    I still would prefer an enclosed area than having to put an electric collar on the dog but at my own house its just not practic to fence it all off. One thing I would say is to think everything out before buying a dog, they aint cheap full stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Youtube is full of videos of people trying their electric shock collars on themselves. Many of them involve young people laughing their heads off when they get electrocuted (usually after screaming when they get shocked) - but every one of them seem to agree it bloody hurts.

If you need to bloody hurt your dog to train it, you're doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you need to bloody hurt your dog to train it, you're doing it wrong.

I can link to websites, professional dog training organisations, dog research facilities, and research papers... But this one line sums it all up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This is a good compilation for the "it does not really hurt" advocates showing of various people, settings and collars; this is what you're putting your dog through and calling it training.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

To anyone who thinks a collar is in anyway cruel, try taking your dog off the road 5 mins after its been crossed by a lorry. I have no embarrassment in saying it was probably one of the saddest moments I ever experienced a few years ago. Hence our decision to put a collar on our dog now. We all heard many stories of dogs rambling and killing sheep or getting shot by farmers protecting their sheep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

siralan wrote: »
    To anyone who thinks a collar is in anyway cruel, try taking your dog off the road 5 mins after its been crossed by a lorry.

Oh I know, I've been there too siralan. Awful. But in my case, the dog WAS wearing a radio collar, but because he was more motivated to get out the gate at that moment, than he was worried or influenced about the shock he'd get from the collar, he died.
    That was many years ago now, I've learned a lot since then.
    I do think these collars are cruel. I won't even begin to tell you the horrible results I've seen in dogs that have to wear them. Justify it whatever way you like, but the collars cannot work without pain, and I will not ever again try to justify using pain in the name of any form of training. At that time, I was just ignorant.
    I stop my dogs getting out on the road now with an ethical, pain-free, fallout-free, 100% effective fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The problem is that there are numerous reports of dogs going through these electric fences to get to something they feel is worth the pain. If you really want to keep your dog off the road, or away from livestock, a secure fence is the only thing that can be relied on.

Advertisement