Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is multiculturalism wanted??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

65% of brits polled in a recent ipsos survey agreed with the statement "there are too many immigrants in our country".

The same for each and every EU member state.

But yeah, convince yourself that its only people on the internet whom are anti mass immigration from non European countries. Alls rosy, honest!

Lol your excuse for your racism seemsto be erm LOOK EVERYONE ELSE IS RACIST TOO....YEAH THEY ARE

You are trying to say your opinion is correct by claiming others have it too.That is not a valid argument.

By the way...I read a poll once where 60 % or so of Belgians claimed to be racist..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/belgium-heads-eu-racism-league-1289695.html

Not because of immigration or any other excuse....they were just racist.nothing about immigration....either abroad or in Belgian ..they don't like other races...

So because the poll shows over half of them doe that mean racism is ok or does it mean actually they are just assholes???

Maybe other nationalities should have the right to live here if we want the right to live elsewhere ..and we do

And question....are you racist? Do you mind interracial marriage or have close friends who are not white?

And before you ask yes I do many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

This is where I think multiculturalism as a policy has failed: people may have the right to do their own thing, but they don't have the right to impose that on others.

That said, I think this is a problem with religious conservatives everywhere
    : there has been a great deal of tension between the ultra-Orthodox and reform/secular Jews in Israel, and there have also been big fights between the ultra-Orthodox and young, white hipsters in Brooklyn. Most of these involve issues of women not 'covering up' (on the bus in Israel, and on the bike path in Brooklyn).

If people want to have halal butchers or whatever then fine, but that is a private matter. However, people should not be able to impose their private values on the public, and this is a key challenge for liberal societies.
    That's the crucial point, you'll get the same kind of stifling moral attitudes from white ultra rightwing christianity, and it's not indicative of the people as a whole.

Johro wrote: »
    If you're anti-immigration, why are you only anti non EU immigration??
    This issue of multiculturalism is only becoming more confused on here really.
    Thinly veiled xenophobe thread.

xenophobia is a hear of those from other countries whether they are the same race or not. To dislike or discriminate against people from countries with a non white native population or against non white people is simply racism.

To do it on the basis of race religion ,nationality or sexual orientation is ust bigotry.

There is a growing frightening trend Europe amongst the various storm front groups to suggest 'we are all (white) Europeans ' a sort of weird EU nationalism I have noticed.

I first came across it when Sarkozy tried to take action against Romanian Traveller people at EU level effectively trying to ban these people from their own continent.

Except in the UK where generally racist leaning parties are associated with being anti EU.

It is odd that. It is strange to see organizations like the golden dawn try to set up overseas! POT KETTLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I have no problem with different cultures in this country
    You want to come here, get with the program and become as Irish as the Irish themselves.

Make your mind up.

I remember this same debate in Holland in the eighties, criticism of multiculturalism masking racist attitudes, it's funny how it dissipated as the economy healed and there were plenty of jobs to be had again.

Off you pop. May I suggest africa, east asia or the middle east?

Remember to tell them that they are too black or brown.

Or is it only native Europeans you want to mix out of existence?

I would say..hey sey baby I am too white;)

It is the concept of race that I would like to mix out of existence. So yeah all races into one....then we can get down to a huge class war....

I don't have to go anywhere apparently I can just stay here.

Don't be silly it is natural for people to intermarry...check out Brazil etc...America ..it is happening it is totally natural.

Wow you REALLY ARE coming off a racist.

You really don't like interracial marriage do you?

Lou.m wrote: »
    xenophobia is a hear of those from other countries whether they are the same race or not. To dislike or discriminate against people from countries with a non white native population or against non white people is simply racism.

To do it on the basis of race religion ,nationality or sexual orientation is ust bigotry.

There is a growing frightening trend Europe amongst the various storm front groups to suggest 'we are all (white) Europeans ' a sort of weird EU nationalism I have noticed.

I first came across it when Sarkozy tried to take action against Romanian Traveller people at EU level effectively trying to ban these people from their own continent.

Except in the UK where generally racist leaning parties are associated with being anti EU.

It is odd that. It is strange to see organizations like the golden dawn try to set up overseas! POT KETTLE
    Well I'm not oblivious to the rise of racist organisations all across europe, or the racist/fascist attitude of some of its governments. There was a news special on Greece not so long ago that showed an alarming rise in racist attitudes. I think it goes hand in hand with economic recession, it certainly doesn't help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Question, is it racist or xenophobic of me, as an Irish person to want to:
    a) Be able to speak my native language (English) on my main street
    b) Be able to buy whatever food products I want in my local shop
    c) Be able to go into a pub and have a pint
    d) Be able to walk into a betting shop and have a punt
    e) Not hear people shouting at women to 'cover up'
    in Dublin?

Now, is it racist or xenophobic of an English person to want to:
    a) Be able to speak their native language (English) on their main street
    b) Be able to buy whatever food products they want in their local shop
    in London?

I think that is the crux of the matter that a good proportion of the English population of London have issue with

P_1 wrote: »
    in Dublin?

in London?

I think that is the crux of the matter that a good proportion of the English population of London have issue with
    Are you saying you can't do any of these things?

• Advertisement

Are you saying you can't do any of these things?

What I'm saying is that there is anecdotal evidence of people not being able to do those things in parts of London, hence the 'white flight'.

Similarly, I wouldn't expect to be able to do those things in Karachi or Tel Aviv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

in Dublin?

in London?

The language issue is silly. Ireland makes a fortune off of being a center for learning English as a second language. And who gives a crap what language people use amongst themselves?

As for local shops: again, this is a private issue. Nobody is entitled to buy whatever they want in their local shop. Hell, I wish that my local shop at home sold grass-fed beef, but that isn't my right.

Since when has gambling and drinking become illegal in Ireland or the UK? :confused:

I would agree that the 'cover up' issue is problematic, but as I said above, I see this as a religious conservative issue rather than an immigration issue per se. Regardless of origin, one thing religious conservatives have in common is a deep desire to control women's bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I never claimed that they did. France and Germany should have paid repatriation money to its post ww2 guest workers. They assumed that they would leave off their own back.

All these problems could have been easily avoided.

You'll find there were North Africans in France long before WWII. And sub-saharan Africans too, for that matter.

And yes, you did imply they did - note the bolded section.
    Explain then why Marie La Pen polled so well, why the French national team is divided amongst ethnic lines, why the ethnic French have stopped supporting the multiracial nation team and please explain the growth of the newly formed group called generation identitaire.

If thats your best example of a multicultural success story, then count me out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭SirTallaghtban

Oh, and I have linked to the CSO 2011 census figures. If you have some alternative data, then please post it. Otherwise, stop making things up.

IRELAND IS becoming a more mixed country with the latest census data showing that those born outside the State account for some 17 per cent of the population.

The number of people born outside Ireland but living here increased by 25 per cent to 766,770 in the period 2006-2011. This occurred despite the decline in the economy which when expanding attracted many thousands here.

The Central Statistics Office said the majority of those arriving came in the early part of the five-year period. The pace of immigration slowed as economic activity cooled from 2008 onwards.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0330/1224314100736.html

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1024131.shtml

There you go.

The language issue is silly. Ireland makes a fortune off of being a center for learning English as a second language. And who gives a crap what language people use amongst themselves?

As for local shops: again, this is a private issue. Nobody is entitled to buy whatever they want in their local shop. Hell, I wish that my local shop at home sold grass-fed beef, but that isn't my right.

Since when has gambling and drinking become illegal in Ireland or the UK? :confused:

I would agree that the 'cover up' issue is problematic, but as I said above, I see this as a religious conservative issue rather than an immigration issue per se. Regardless of origin, one thing religious conservatives have in common is a deep desire to control women's bodies.

I don't think it's an immigration issue myself either, rather a cultural one. What I mean by that is that some immigrants to the UK seem to be aggressively imposing the culture of their origin societies on the population of their destination societies and the 'natives' are getting (understandably) a tad unsettled over it.

What I'm saying is that there is anecdotal evidence of people not being able to do those things in parts of London, hence the 'white flight'.

Similarly, I wouldn't expect to be able to do those things in Karachi or Tel Aviv.
    Ah. So there is anecdotal evidence of this being a problem for some people in London. So where in Ireland is this?

• Advertisement

Ah. So there is anecdotal evidence of this being a problem for some people in London. So where in Ireland is this?

I was offering a hypothetical comparison to help illustrate the reason behind the general attitude of some in the UK and to explain how it was not being racist or xenophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

IRELAND IS becoming a more mixed country with the latest census data showing that those born outside the State account for some 17 per cent of the population.

The number of people born outside Ireland but living here increased by 25 per cent to 766,770 in the period 2006-2011. This occurred despite the decline in the economy which when expanding attracted many thousands here.

The Central Statistics Office said the majority of those arriving came in the early part of the five-year period. The pace of immigration slowed as economic activity cooled from 2008 onwards.

There you go.

The overwhelming majority of those are from within the EU and are thus entitled to free movement. Seeing as we aren't typing in Polish at the mo, it doesn't really do much to bear out your seemingly xenophobic attitude.

If you're anti-immigration, why are you only anti non EU immigration??
    This issue of multiculturalism is only becoming more confused on here really.
    Thinly veiled xenophobe thread.

You claimed that it was only a few interweb racists who opposed mass immigration. :pac:

Anti-immigration sentiment was particularly strong in Europe, with over 65% of Spaniards, Italians and British polled strongly or partly agreeing that "there are too many immigrants in our country".

Sweden and Poland were the only European countries surveyed that did not have majorities who considered immigration to have a negative impact. In no country did a majority consider immigration to have been beneficial.

Majorities in most EU countries surveyed agreed that immigration had made it more difficult for citizens to find employment and "placed too much pressure on public services," such as health care and education.

Anti-immigrant sentiment has put significant strain on freedom of movement within the EU. On 11 August, the European Commission approved Spain's measures to exclude Romanian workers from its labour market. The Spanish unemployment rate is by far the highest in the EU at 21%. Bulgaria and Romania recently saw their accession to the Schengen border-free area postponed.

The Dutch and Danish governments, whose parliamentary majorities are dependent on the support of far-right anti-immigrant parties, have pushed particularly hard to limit immigration. In the case of Denmark, the unilateral imposition of new border controls was harshly criticised by the European Commission and Germany.

http://www.euractiv.com/socialeurope/europeans-overwhelmingly-immigra-news-507074

in Dublin?

in London?

Never have I witnessed any of this when being in London or in other places I have been in the UK or Ireland.

Well not by immigrants.

Non Irish people will repress you too.

Many Irish people will insist you learn Irish.....despite it not being my first tongue. Many Irish people are against gambling and women going around in short skirts as you will have learnt from the Magdalene report.If anything we have greater choice of food products in this country now.

I think it is racist to fear these things when they are not here. And stop talking about Britain. We have a different immigration policy and we have not the same history as them. They have huge ties with other nations....they colonised everywhere.

There you go.

It shouldn't matter where somebody comes from provided that they respect the local culture and don't try to intimidate the native population to impose their own culture on them.

• Advertisement

There you go.

Those articles are quoting two different figures: the foreign-born numbers are the 700,000+, but the articles are then quoting the non-Irish nationals figures for their group breakdown, which are separate. The CSO analysis uses the non-Irish nationals figures, which are considered more accurate in Ireland's case because there are many 'foreign-born' Irish nationals with dual citizenship.

Never have I witnessed any of this when being in London or in other places I have been in the UK or Ireland.

Well not by immigrants.

Many Irish people will insist you learn Irish.....despite it not being my first tongue. Many Irish people are against gambling and women going around in short skirts as you will have learnt from the Magdalene report.If anything we have greater choice of food products in this country now.

I think it is racist to fear these things when they are not here. And stop talking about Britain. We have a different immigration policy and we have not the same history as them. They have huge ties with other nations....they colonised everywhere.

I thought we were discussing the BBC article which was written about people in Britain, or have I missed a memo somewhere :confused:

I was offering a hypothetical comparison to help illustrate the reason behind the general attitude of some in the UK and to explain how it was not being racist or xenophobic.
    Okay fair enough, excuse the sarcasm, it's a bad habit, but what you're talking about is hardly representative.

Okay fair enough, excuse the sarcasm, it's a bad habit, but what you're talking about is hardly representative.

Oh I know that, but in essence its a reasonably balanced summary/example of the 'fear' that some people would have.

No worries about sarcasm, it can be bloody difficult to come across the way you intend on message boards sometimes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Are additional workers from areas with excess supply wanted during labour shortages wanted? Yes.

Should those who have come here and worked have the same rights ad Irish people who have contributed an equal amount to the economy? Yes.

ah yea sure we have such an awful shortage of 'skilled' taxi drivers so yes we need more, bring them on. give them their rights too but only once they have the correct work visa to drive said taxi, bring them on. let them set up shop to retail or sell 'more' food once they have 300k in their bank account and they must create employment for at least 2 Irish or EEA/Swiss nationals, bring them on.

You claimed that it was only a few interweb racists who opposed mass immigration. :pac:

Anti-immigration sentiment was particularly strong in Europe, with over 65% of Spaniards, Italians and British polled strongly or partly agreeing that "there are too many immigrants in our country".

Sweden and Poland were the only European countries surveyed that did not have majorities who considered immigration to have a negative impact. In no country did a majority consider immigration to have been beneficial.

Majorities in most EU countries surveyed agreed that immigration had made it more difficult for citizens to find employment and "placed too much pressure on public services," such as health care and education.

Anti-immigrant sentiment has put significant strain on freedom of movement within the EU. On 11 August, the European Commission approved Spain's measures to exclude Romanian workers from its labour market. The Spanish unemployment rate is by far the highest in the EU at 21%. Bulgaria and Romania recently saw their accession to the Schengen border-free area postponed.

The Dutch and Danish governments, whose parliamentary majorities are dependent on the support of far-right anti-immigrant parties, have pushed particularly hard to limit immigration. In the case of Denmark, the unilateral imposition of new border controls was harshly criticised by the European Commission and Germany.

http://www.euractiv.com/socialeurope/europeans-overwhelmingly-immigra-news-507074

This is weird and non sensical..you worry anti immigration sentiment in the EU is getting in the way of EU immigration???

They consider Italians and Irish to be immigrants....

It is as if you have this grand EU project..of 'No Homers'.

Are you for immigration or against it?

So you don't mind immigration from EU countries but not outside??? Is that it??

A weird EU project endangered by non EU immigration? Because that is what you are saying non Eu immigration is hurting the rights of EU citizens to immigrate?? That makes no sense.

It shouldn't matter where somebody comes from provided that they respect the local culture and don't try to intimidate the native population to impose their own culture on them.

I think both correlate. Some ethnic groups out perform other groups of emigrants.

If you were a denizen of Perth atm, would you prefer another 1,000 Irish or 1,000 Indian immigrants?

You would go for the Indian chaps.

Well not by immigrants.

Many Irish people will insist you learn Irish.....despite it not being my first tongue. Many Irish people are against gambling and women going around in short skirts as you will have learnt from the Magdalene report.
    Many Irish will insist you drink. ''You're not having one?? Ah go on.. Here I'll buy ya a pint.. Ah sure why not.. Jaysis sure you'll have a drink...
    HAVE A FUCKIN DRINK YA WEIRDO!!!!''
    ;)

This is weird That makes no sense.

Please stop responding to me. You have called for the cleansing of my race :eek:

There is nothing left to be said.

Please stop responding to me. You have called for the cleansing of my race :eek:

Hardly. She had a sense of humour and you took it seriously.

• Advertisement

which are considered more accurate in Ireland's case because there are many 'foreign-born' Irish nationals with dual citizenship.

Still foreign born. If every immigrant obtained Irish papers tomorrow - would that mean Ireland has/had no immigrant population?

Hardly. He had a sense of humour and you took it seriously.

She.

I dont think that it was a joke. Self hatred is not an usual trait. Afro-Americans call those who suffer from it 'uncle Toms'.

No...even taken seriously they would be a mix of your race and a part of it.

And it is not your race...I am Irish too.

I am a girl by the way to the poster above. :) Just sayin.

I was having a laugh..But seriously intermarriage on a large scale is not cleansing....blending ..creating a divine loving cocktail;)

It is shame you see it in such violent terms though. It does betray something sinister about you.

I hope you are joking.

Is that really what you think of interacial marriage??? I mean interracial people are a part of your race too...or half apart of it.

Meh there is only one human race....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Ireland has always been multicultural.

Still foreign born. If every immigrant obtained Irish papers tomorrow - would that mean Ireland has/had no immigrant population?

Yeah.:confused: They are Irish citizens! In is in our anthem ..some have come from a land beyond the wave.

Dev was half Latino and born in America!

I am a girl by the way to the poster above. :) Just sayin.
    :eek:
    My apologies for assuming you were anything inferior to female.
    :o

I was having a laugh..But seriously intermarriage on a large scale is not cleansing....blending ..creating a divine loving cocktail;)

It is shame you see it in such violent terms though. It does betray something sinister about you.

It is if its forced and it can have genocidal tendencies if people are specifically reproducing with other races because they went babies with certain features etc.

Which was your rational.

:mad:

F#ckin hell...

Yeah.:confused: They are Irish citizens! In is in our anthem ..some have come from a land beyond the wave.

Dev was half Latino and born in America!

That refers to the diaspora.

And Dev's da was as much a Cuban/Spanish sailor as mine was.

• Advertisement

:eek:
    My apologies for assuming you were anything inferior to female.
    :o

:eek::p I love you...charmer:P;):p:p

Many Irish will insist you drink. ''You're not having one?? Ah go on.. Here I'll buy ya a pint.. Ah sure why not.. Jaysis sure you'll have a drink...
    HAVE A FUCKIN DRINK YA WEIRDO!!!!''
    ;)

and many non-Irish oh so do take advantage of that. in fact they will stand there and wait thinking they've just arrived in Ireland when everyone first welcomed them and bought them a drink. only works for short while, now buy your own ****ing drink, don't wait for me to offer. actually buy me one while you're at it, you owe me about 10!

only happened again to me this week, met this person from abroad, offered them a drink, they declined and went to order a coffee for themselves after i had sat down. they came back and looked at me "did you pay for this?" i said "no, i offered to buy you a pint and you declined", they then went back up and paid for their coffee.

It is if its forced and it can have genocidal tendencies if people are specifically reproducing with other races because they went babies with certain features etc.

Which was your rational.

:mad:

How ?? Why what is your problem with mixed people now?

We are talking about normal people falling in love. You are twisting words like a true racist. I say the world will naturally mingle and what is the problem with it?
    No it wasn't AT ALL IT WAS THE OPPOSITE. LOL

You are suggesting you keep people out to preserve certain physical characteristics! aren't you?

You are twisting everything I say.

Do you really think white people who marry non white people hate themselves?? That is ridiculous!

Self hate is however a huge root of the narcissism associated with extreme nationalism or racism..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Devs dad was Cuban.

As an irish man you complain about different races mixing, yet you manage to forget we ourselves are a mixture of numerous cultures ranging from Scandinavia to beyond Eastern Europe.

VEN wrote: »
    and many non-Irish oh so do take advantage of that. in fact they will stand there and wait thinking they've just arrived in Ireland when everyone first welcomed them and bought them a drink. only works for short while, now buy your own ****ing drink, don't wait for me to offer. actually buy me one while you're at it, you owe me about 10!

only happened again to me this week, met this person from abroad, offered them a drink, they declined and went to order a coffee for themselves after i had sat down. they came back and looked at me "did you pay for this?" i said "no, i offered to buy you a pint and you declined", they then went back up and paid for their coffee.

Wow....stuff happened??? Wow....and they were from ABROAD??? Wow....no Irish person ever mistakenly thought another person paid for their coffee ever..EVER

What has any of that story got to do with where they are from??? Infact what has it got to do with anything??? Thats just a mistake..I could do that easily

We are talking about normal people falling in love. You are twisting words like a true racist. I say the world will naturally mingle and what is the problem with it?
    No it wasn't AT ALL IT WAS THE OPPOSITE. LOL

You are suggesting you keep people out to preserve certain physical characteristics! aren't you?

You are twisting everything I say.

Do you really think white people who marry non white people hate themselves?? That is ridiculous!

Self hate is however a huge root of the narcissism associated with extreme nationalism or racism..

Looking at the figures, most end up divorced. Anyway, you do your thing and marry whoever you want. Its absolutely none of my business what you do.

But when you say things like group x, and only group x, should intermarry - for the sole purpose of eradicating group x, dont be surprised when you get called on it.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Devs dad was Cuban.

As an irish man you complain about different races mixing, yet you manage to forget we ourselves are a mixture of numerous cultures ranging from Scandinavia to beyond Eastern Europe.

Show me where I complained, buddy.

Dev's da was never confirmed.

Wow....stuff happened??? Wow....and they were from ABROAD??? Wow....no Irish person ever mistakenly thought another person paid for their coffee ever..EVER

What has any of that story got to do with where they are from??? Infact what has it got to do with anything??? Thats just a mistake..I could do that easily

that was in reply to Johro's post about drinking, an observation of how irish pub generosity can be taken from here to the cliffs of moher. so why don't you ask them what that had to do with this thread if you're so worked up about it. besides what has it go to do with you? you sound like a redhead.

Sweet Baby Jesus, have you actually looked at the CSO figures?

The 'foreign born' includes a huge pool of Irish nationals who were born in the UK. So those figures are not very helpful when trying to determine immigration figures, as few would consider Irish nationals born in the UK as 'immigrants' in the political sense. The enormous Irish diaspora is exactly why you have to actually go into the data itself to see what is going on; as evidenced on this thread, the media coverage of the 2011 census data has been atrocious.

VEN wrote: »
    that was in reply to Johro's post about drinking, an observation of how irish pub generosity can be taken from here to the cliffs of moher. so why don't you ask them what that had to do with this thread if you're so worked up about it. besides what has it go to do with you? you sound like a redhead.

Ireland is a very generous country. Once legally resident here, you get child allowance, healthcare, access to education for your kids, etc. EU citizen or no.

This is a big pull factor. Very few nations are as generous to their newly arrived. Does the state and the Irish people get thanked for it? Not a bit. We get lectures from quango Queens like Denise Charlton about how racist we are.

A rich girls whose daddy had that land dispute with Pat Kenny.

Sweet Baby Jesus, have you actually looked at the CSO figures?

The 'foreign born' includes a huge pool of Irish nationals who were born in the UK. So those figures are not very helpful when trying to determine immigration figures, as few would consider Irish nationals born in the UK as 'immigrants' in the political sense. The enormous Irish diaspora is exactly why you have to actually go into the data itself to see what is going on; as evidenced on this thread, the media coverage of the 2011 census data has been atrocious.

Irish citizens born to Irish parents abroad would tick Irish as their nationality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement